pixeltracker

Synopsis of Mary Poppins London show?

Synopsis of Mary Poppins London show?

Leveradnon Profile Photo
Leveradnon
#0Synopsis of Mary Poppins London show?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 4:08am

I just got the Mary Poppins Original London Cast recording and am really enjoying it. The story seems quite a bit different than the movie. Is there any website online that has a scene by scene synopsis of the stage show?...I'd really like to know the context behind a few of the songs.

broadwaygiant19122 Profile Photo
broadwaygiant19122
#1re: Synopsis of Mary Poppins London show?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 11:25am

I too have the cast recording and greatly enjoy it. I seem to remember reading that the show is being altered for the american production, not as dark,e tc. any truth to this? i hope thats not the case.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#2re: Synopsis of Mary Poppins London show?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 11:50am

The show follows the movie's plot with several differences.

"Jolly Holliday" no longer takes place in Bert's drawing, therfore, "Supercalifragelisticexpialidocious" (I probably spelt it wrong) is moved to another scene involving a character from the book.
Mary Poppins leaves at the end of the first act, to return after "Let's Go Fly a Kite", which starts at the top of the second.
Mr. Banks' old nanny, Miss Andrew (I believe that's her name) replaces Mary Poppins at the top of the second act and stops the show wit the wickedly funny (literally) "Brimstone and Treacle."
Mrs. Banks no longer fights for suffrage.
There's a bit more, but those are most of the differences.

Leveradnon Profile Photo
Leveradnon
#3re: Synopsis of Mary Poppins London show?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 1:34pm

What is the context of "Temper, Temper?" It seems that the kids were fighting over the toy, Valentine and then all the dolls come alive or something. Is this something that the kids are dreaming, is it real, was it caused by Mary Poppins to teach the kids a lesson? This is an incredibly creepy song, which I love, but I'd really like to know what's going on.

Videos