News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Help re: Lights, Mics, etc. for new theatre group

Help re: Lights, Mics, etc. for new theatre group

Beanmatt Profile Photo
Beanmatt
#0Help re: Lights, Mics, etc. for new theatre group
Posted: 3/24/06 at 6:15pm

Hey everyone...requesting some advice/suggestions from those who know better than I!

I work at a small high school which currently has no theatre program to speak of. So, I'm looking to jumpstart one and am putting things together to see how much something like this would cost. My question: where would be the best place(s) to get things such as lights, mics, etc...the technical stuff.

Our space is small (approx 250 seats max), and am looking to start off with a "small" show (YAGMCB to be specific). It was not built as a theater/performace space so it has none of the traditional theater things such as places to hang lights from, a curtain, sound system, etc.

Anyone had any luck with certian places that sell wireless mics, lights, spotlights, (and anything else I may be forgetting) and can point me in the right direction? My experience in high school, college, and community theatre have been situations where all of this equipment has already been in place before I got involved...so I know a thing or two about them, just not where to get them. I've been searching on the internet for an hour now and finding all different types of things so I thought I'd ask around here with people who've had experience buying these types of things.

Any help would be appreciated! If I've left out any specs that would make it easier, let me know.
Updated On: 3/24/06 at 06:15 PM

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#1re: Lights, Mics, etc. for new theatre group
Posted: 3/24/06 at 6:24pm

well a microphone hint. My high school has used ones from radio shack to great success for years, and they're not too expensive

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Jon
#2re: Lights, Mics, etc. for new theatre group
Posted: 3/24/06 at 7:29pm

Wireless mikes? In a 250 seat theatre? That's a disgrace.

littlechap2 Profile Photo
littlechap2
#3re: Lights, Mics, etc. for new theatre group
Posted: 3/24/06 at 10:52pm

No Jon, you are a disgrace for making such a ridiculously rude and uncalled for comment. Get an effing life.

"I sang it because I'm your friend."

Videos