News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Piazza smoking

astonishing1985 Profile Photo
astonishing1985
#0Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/1/06 at 12:11pm

Last week my boyfriend and I saw The Light in the Piazza and absolutely loved it, have not taken the CD out of my stereo.

There was some smoking on stage and it seemed very real. At first I thought they must use very good fake ones but my boyfriend was pretty sure they were real cigarettes and because they had this different smell they apparently are really strong and more unhealthy than regular ones.
Can someone set us straight and tell us what they use for cigarettes? Real or fake?

Hartt School class of 2010 ;-)

greeneyed_one Profile Photo
greeneyed_one
#1re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/1/06 at 12:14pm

Don't quote me on this but I remember reading a thread that said they used herbal cigarettes which smelled like the real thing but were not bad for you. Not sure if this is exactly true but most likely it is something like this.

greencup Profile Photo
greencup
#2re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/1/06 at 12:18pm

I read the same thing greeneyed. I've never seen it, but I've heard they smell really strong.

astonishing1985 Profile Photo
astonishing1985
#3re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/1/06 at 12:21pm

The thing is they looked so real but they smelled differently, they actually smelled good, lol...and I hate smoking

Hartt School class of 2010 ;-)

DefyingPopular
#4re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/1/06 at 12:24pm

When I saw it, the smell was nauseating... but that was almost a year ago, so they could have changed it by now.

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#5re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/1/06 at 1:05pm

yeah they did smell funny ... i was in the front row and it definetly was some kind of "real" smoke

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#6re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/1/06 at 1:13pm

If it is like most other shows, it is an herbal cigarette. If you go to see Pajama Game, they have a warning outside the theatre telling the audience about this. Herbal smokes do not hurt an actor's vocal production as much as regular ones. And if you thought that Piazza was bad, don't head to The Odd Couple.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Sandy in Sable Profile Photo
Sandy in Sable
#7re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/1/06 at 1:18pm

When I and a few other cast members smoked in a production we had to smoke herbals. They didn't smell that great and tasted even worse. It was mentioned in the program, but of course we still got a few complaints from audience members. The smoke just kinda hangs there ya know.

Sandy in Sable Profile Photo
Sandy in Sable
#8re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/1/06 at 1:18pm

When I and a few other cast members smoked in a production we had to smoke herbals. They didn't smell that great and tasted even worse. It was mentioned in the program, but of course we still got a few complaints from audience members. The smoke just kinda hangs there ya know.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#9re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/1/06 at 3:22pm

yea i was wondering this when i saw caroline or change

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#10re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/1/06 at 3:25pm

DO I remember right that because of the recent NYC ordinance, you CANNOT smoke tobacco in the theatres now, even on stage, so that any "smoking" has to be with herbal cigs?

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#11re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/1/06 at 3:33pm

Herbal, there're signs before entering the auditorium that warns the audience of this.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#12re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/1/06 at 3:35pm

There's a sign in the lobby of the Vivian Beaumont that states that herbal cigarettes will be used in the production. And if you've ever been in the first few rows for that show you know you can count on smelling them from Dividing Day through the end of the first act.

#13re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/1/06 at 4:07pm

so here is an interesting question. HOW ESSENTIAL is smoking to the characters in these shows? not trying to be feisty..i really am curious.

BwayTheatre11
#14re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/1/06 at 4:14pm

I have been told herbal cigarettes are just as bad, if not worse, for you.

CCM '10!

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#15re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/1/06 at 4:27pm

If you were an actor, and the part called for you to smoke, would you?

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#16re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/1/06 at 4:33pm

I've also wondered this about Jersey Boys. A lot of characters in the show smoke.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#17re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/20/06 at 1:57am

But in Jersey Boys the main actors don't smoke... they have stand ins smoking in the wings for them.

kmc

Jesus saves. I spend.

DG
#18re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/20/06 at 2:13am

"HOW ESSENTIAL is smoking to the characters in these shows?"

If you're presenting something from those time periods and want it to be even remotely real, smoking is essential.

iluvtheatertrash
#19re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/20/06 at 2:15am

Let us remember that Margaret's husband works for a cigarette company. (He's the VP, if I'm remembering correctly). And going back to that time period and the kind of woman she is, it doesn't surprise me at all that she speaks. I find it a very smart character choice.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

thevolleyballer
#20re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/20/06 at 2:25am

I can't imagine having to smoke -- real, herbal, or anything, for that matter -- and having to sing directly after, as I'm sure the smoking characters often do. Heck, whenever there's fog on the stage, it's hard not to cough and get congested, but smoke? Gosh. Talk about the tough life of a Broadway star.

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#21re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/20/06 at 2:27am

I second the herbal. My college (SFSU) theatre department uses herbal cigs in their shows. I'd assume since we can afford the effect, Broadway can too :)

Jazzysuite82
#22re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/20/06 at 2:43am

Actually herbal Cigs are fairly easy to sing after smoking them. Keep in mind they were created for stage actors and singers. If it were unhealthy they wouldn't do it. ESP in an Adam Guettel show. The fog should be special regulation. I know the union has rules about the fog that can be used. I believe equity uses the same regulations that AGMA (the opera singer's union) uses. They're made to be sung through. Some of those fog machines are really bad...

ghostlight2
#23re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/20/06 at 2:46am

Victoria Clark has a positively brilliant moment in the song "Dividing Day" where she pauses, lights a cigarette, and exhales with the next line.

MrBundles Profile Photo
MrBundles
#24re: Piazza smoking
Posted: 4/20/06 at 3:07am

"But despite this marketing ploy, alternative cigarettes are NOT safe. In fact, some are considerably more dangerous than normal cigarettes. As the director of the Federal Trade Commission's Bureau of Consumer Affairs recently stated, "There's no such thing as a safe smoke.""

http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/herbalcig

Your fupa is showing.

Videos