Piazza Similar to Sweeney?

Isabella2
#0Piazza Similar to Sweeney?
Posted: 6/28/06 at 12:12am

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but the very beginning of "Say it Somehow" In Piazza sounds almost identical to the beginning of "Not While I'm Around"
am I imagining things? Do you think Guettel is influenced by Sondheim?

jam_man
#1re: Piazza Similar to Sweeney?
Posted: 6/28/06 at 12:29am

He's obviously influenced by Sondheim, 'cause 1)everyone who has composed for the musical theatre since the mid '80s has been heavily influenced by Sondheim, and 2)he's the son of Mary Rodgers, who likely would have been Mrs. Sondheim were it not for one obvious little detail on his part. However, that's the first I've thought about the "Say it Somehow" and "Not While I'm Around" similarities - I'll have to check that out.

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

Isabella2
#2re: Piazza Similar to Sweeney?
Posted: 6/28/06 at 12:32am

true. oh and by "very beginning" i mean the beginning instrumental chords. I realize know that it may just be coincidence and that it's such a samll detail... but when i first heard "Say i somehow" i could have mistaken it for "not while I'm around" for a second.

&OneForMahler
#3re: Piazza Similar to Sweeney?
Posted: 6/28/06 at 1:01am

Also, I've noticed the similarities between "Fable" and Into the Woods.
But hey- I say being influenced by Sondheim is a very very good thing.

<--- me & Erin Davie =) omigod, omigod you guys...

ChrisLK
#4re: Piazza Similar to Sweeney?
Posted: 6/28/06 at 1:30am

Well, the little vamp just before Clara begins to sing in Say it Somehow is extremely common, so that probably has something to do with it, but I'd definitely say Guettel was influenced by Sondheim. I mean, it's pretty much impossible to write musicals these days and not have SOME Sondheim influence (unless you write in the ALW school).

But yes, the first two bars in the printed version of Say It Somehow are extremely similar to the bars leading into the words "Nothing's gonna harm you", but also bear a relation to "What I Did For Love". I think it's just a common pattern.

"I could use a little... Miracle." ~SWIWS

Videos