pixeltracker

LA - On July 7th 'The Spotlight' Cabaret Shines Again!!!

LA - On July 7th 'The Spotlight' Cabaret Shines Again!!!

got-a-light Profile Photo
got-a-light
#0LA - On July 7th 'The Spotlight' Cabaret Shines Again!!!
Posted: 7/6/06 at 7:59pm

Don't miss Joey McIntyre (WICKED - tick, tick, BOOM!) and Sharon McNight (Tony nomination - STARMITES) at LA's brand new Broadway cabaret... 'THE SPOTLIGHT' this Friday night.

$10 at the door.

Last month the LA Broadway community came out strong to support the very first 'SPOTLIGHT' cabaret. It was an amazing evening!

Please join us on Friday, July 7th in the Ten/20 lounge at the BelAge hotel in West Hollywood. The show starts at 9:30pm. If you'd like a table... make a reservation and come early for dinner. Call 310-854-1111 and ask for the Ten/20 Lounge.

For my information go to www.thespotlightla.com

Hope to see you there.

Updated On: 7/6/06 at 07:59 PM

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
got-a-light
#2re: LA - On July 7th 'The Spotlight' Cabaret Shines Again!!!
Posted: 7/6/06 at 11:12pm

Thanks for the support!! :)

#3re: LA - On July 7th 'The Spotlight' Cabaret Shines Again!!!
Posted: 7/7/06 at 2:10am

I'd be great if we could find some cool ways to broaden our audience for this... Perhaps make fliers and have them at some of the better hotels in the area....or at the theaters that have shows running. True beuaty is getting the new people in to watch them and be wowed by the talent.

And as you know I fully support some type of open mic night, to discover someone Some people there would love the chance to join in and let their hair down for a moment ---like dont tell mamma. Thoughts? Let's discuss?

#4re: LA - On July 7th 'The Spotlight' Cabaret Shines Again!!!
Posted: 7/7/06 at 2:22am

Any chance there will be a special guest?!?!?

got-a-light
#5re: LA - On July 7th 'The Spotlight' Cabaret Shines Again!!!
Posted: 7/7/06 at 1:44pm

surprise guests?... you never know. i guess you'll have to come and find out. :)

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#6re: LA - On July 7th 'The Spotlight' Cabaret Shines Again!!!
Posted: 7/7/06 at 9:13pm

tease!

I'll be back with a report re: LA - On July 7th 'The Spotlight' Cabaret Shines Again!!!

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#7re: LA - On July 7th 'The Spotlight' Cabaret Shines Again!!!
Posted: 7/8/06 at 4:04am

Alright, I will do my best to sum this up. I usually babble when I'm tired so bare with me.

Sharon was up first. This was the first time I've seen her. One thing she lets you know right off the bat is that she's not someone to mess with. She's not trying to be cute or sing pretty... she's a self labeled outlaw... brassy and offensive. And for her, it works.

If you can fill in the blanks or make corrections please feel free. Here is a rough review of her songlist:
"In The Meantime"
"I've Got A Small Day Tomorrow"
"It's Gonna Be One of Those Days" by Amanda McBroom ...as a side note, this is now the 2nd time in a short period of days that I've now heard of Amanda. The first being at Stephanie's Birdland concert when she sang her song "Dieter's Prayer"
"Don't Give Up"??
A Judy Henske song, "Mad Dog"?
A funny song about Elves
"I'm Everybody's Girl" which she dedicated to Mae West who she considers one of the most offensive women performers (a compliment coming from her)
"Rich, Famous, and Powerful"... another sidenote, this is now the 2nd time I've heard of this song too. One of the contestants on America's Got Talent sang this and actually got passed through to the next round. They should've shown him!
A Billy Joel song? that I'm sorry to say I didn't recognize.
Her encore was "The Impossible Dream" that she dedicated to all couragous people.

Joey McIntyre... ummm, was in the bathroom when he was supposed to come on stage, or so he enjoyed disclosing to us one or two times. Once again, feel free to add and correct... this is a ROUGH review of his songlist:
"Lady Is A Tramp"
"Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered"
"Where is Love", that was kind of segued to "I'd Do Anything"
"Gary, Indiana"
"Time To Move On" (from his Happy Days show)
"As Long As Your Mine" - just his part but he made it work! haha
A song from "Tic Tic Boom" with WILSON CRUZ and some other cast member Andrew "Andy" and a woman who's name I didn't catch
A variation on Wyclef's "Grateful"?
"Nothing About You I Would Change"? I think this was also something that he wrote but it began with a known song that he forgot the lyrics to?... maybe someone else can elaborate.

I should mention that Jennifer from the last cabaret was also there as well as some other people who looked familiar but I couldn't place.

They announced the next cabaret date in August but I don't think they have anyone set in stone yet. One of the ladies mentioned Deborah Gibson being on the list of people they were trying to get.

OK, it's late. This is long.... :)

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#8re: LA - On July 7th 'The Spotlight' Cabaret Shines Again!!!
Posted: 7/8/06 at 2:13pm

bump

C'mon people, I know I wasn't the only one there!

got-a-light
#9re: LA - On July 7th 'The Spotlight' Cabaret Shines Again!!!
Posted: 7/8/06 at 4:09pm

I was there, but I guess that's a given. :)

It was another great night of Broadway cabaret in LA!

I am happy to report that the house was once again packed which gave us all the more incentive to keep working hard on this new cabaret!

Special thanks to Sharon McNight and Joey McIntyre. Two amazing and very different performers who brought everyone together for a night of great music.

This week be sure to check out www.thespotlightla.com for pics and updated information.

NEXT SHOW... FRIDAY, AUGUST 18th! Hope to see more Broadwayworlders there! and thanks Popular for your support! :)

Updated On: 7/8/06 at 04:09 PM

Danielm
#10re: LA - On July 7th 'The Spotlight' Cabaret Shines Again!!!
Posted: 7/11/06 at 7:16pm

I was there too. It was a great evening. I've seen Sharon McKnight many times and always love her. In a fair world she'd be a major star. McIntyre was a surprise. I hadn't seen him in anything since his boy band days and wasn't expecting much but he was really good, very charming and very funny. He has a great voice and did really good material.

This is off the subject but has anyone gone to the "Upright Cabaret"? I am a big cabaret fan but heard stories that the audiences are noisy and rude--I don't like that.

Yes, we do need a third vampire musical.--Little Sally, Gypsy of the Year 2005.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#11re: LA - On July 7th 'The Spotlight' Cabaret Shines Again!!!
Posted: 7/12/06 at 4:01pm

re: LA - On July 7th 'The Spotlight' Cabaret Shines Again!!!

Ok, I totally wrote that they were considering Deborah Gibson ... how the hell did I not notice that SHE WAS THERE!?!

PS - pics from the night are now up.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#12re: LA - On July 7th 'The Spotlight' Cabaret Shines Again!!!
Posted: 7/12/06 at 4:06pm

Let it be known that the day Deborah Gibson is listed as the headling performer at this Cabaret is the day that I'll make my reservations. :)

I wanted to go to the Joey McIntyre performance, but schedules didn't work out.

Glad to see that it is so successful thus far.

Videos