Best Plays 2004-2005

MargoChanning
#0Best Plays 2004-2005
Posted: 7/19/06 at 10:28am

The 86th edition of the invaluable Best Plays series has just been released. Here's their top ten list for that season (which IMO reflects what was a relatively weak year for new work):

After Ashley by Gina Gionfriddo
Brooklyn Boy by Donald Margulies
Democracy by Michael Frayn
Doubt, a Parable by John Patrick Shanley
Gem of the Ocean by August Wilson
Guantánamo: Honor Bound to Defend Freedom by Victoria Brittain & Gillian Slovo
Hot 'n' Throbbing by Paula Vogel
A Number by Caryl Churchill
The Pillowman by Martin McDonagh
Romance by David Mamet

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/100940.html

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#1re: Best Plays 2004-2005
Posted: 7/19/06 at 10:31am

No musicals -- interesting. Would have thought Piazza would have been in there.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Best Plays 2004-2005
Posted: 7/19/06 at 10:31am

It's unfortunate that there weren't enough Tony slots available to give some recognition to BROOKLYN BOY. I hope it thrives in future productions.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

apdarcey
#3re: Best Plays 2004-2005
Posted: 7/19/06 at 10:41am

ugh. i'm pretty disgusted that after ashley made their list this year. it was one of the worst plays in my opinion.

MargoChanning
#4re: Best Plays 2004-2005
Posted: 7/19/06 at 10:43am

I didn't actively dislike After Ashley, though I did feel it would have benefited from another draft (or two or three).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#5re: Best Plays 2004-2005
Posted: 7/19/06 at 10:43am

No musicals -- interesting. Would have thought Piazza would have been in there.

Sweetie, it's Best PLAYS. Not musicals. Just plays.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

apdarcey
#6re: Best Plays 2004-2005
Posted: 7/19/06 at 10:44am

i continue to actively dislike after ashley.

MargoChanning
#7re: Best Plays 2004-2005
Posted: 7/19/06 at 10:46am

Yes, but in the course of the past 86 years, a few dozen musicals have been recognized by the series, including A Chorus Line, Sunday in the Park with George, Sunset Boulevard, Rent, The Lion King, The Producers, Urinetown and more recently, Caroline, or Change.

Updated On: 7/19/06 at 10:46 AM

apdarcey
#8re: Best Plays 2004-2005
Posted: 7/19/06 at 10:48am

i was going to say. i know they've included some musicals previously.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#9re: Best Plays 2004-2005
Posted: 7/19/06 at 11:03am

For a time, it seemed that there was at least one musical named each year. I have noticed that the past few years have had extremely few musicals -- I think Caroline is the only one since The Producers and Urinetown were both named back in 2000-2001.

On another note, it's probably just me, but I think the books are much less interesting to read than they used to be -- they've become much more factual and less opinionated. Some people would say that's a good thing, but I kind of liked getting the editor's take on the season.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

MargoChanning
#10re: Best Plays 2004-2005
Posted: 7/19/06 at 11:23am

I miss Otis Guernsey who for decades added a really informed and opinionated insider's perspective in reviewing each season, pointing out trends and notable happenings from the year just past. Whether you agreed with all of his observations or not, the writing was always entertaining and provocative. The series lacks that sort of personality now, though it's still a crucial part of any library of theatre.

Videos