Miss Saigon DVD

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#25re: Miss Saigon DVD
Posted: 3/23/16 at 1:54am

Saw the OBC a few weeks back at TOFT. Truly amazing.

Dave19
#26re: Miss Saigon DVD
Posted: 3/23/16 at 8:33am

The full show was professionally recorded at the 25th Anniversary gala in London last year. Including the celebrations at the end with the original London cast. Then last month (a week before the show stopped) they asked Alistair Brammer (Chris) and Rachelle Ann Go (Gigi) and Tamsin Carroll (Ellen) back in (who already left the show for a year), to shoot some additional footage. I suppose for different camera angles, editing, etc.

At the final performance, a few weeks ago, Cameron Mackintosh said that the footage looks so stunning that there will be a cinema release of it this autumn (2016) and then a dvd.

He also added that a Hollywood film won't be "only in my mind" for long.

Dave19
#27re: Miss Saigon DVD
Posted: 3/23/16 at 8:34am

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Saw the OBC a few weeks back at TOFT. Truly amazing.

"

What is TOFT? Is there a recording of the OBC?

And I see this thread is from 10 years ago. Lea Salonga will be too old for the role by now :)

jo
#28re: Miss Saigon DVD
Posted: 3/23/16 at 8:53am

Quote:

Image result for what is the theatre on film and tape

The Theatre on Film and Tape Archive (often abbreviated TOFT), a unit of the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, produces video recordings of New York and regional theater productions, and provides research access at its Lucille Lortel screening room.

Dave19
#29re: Miss Saigon DVD
Posted: 3/23/16 at 8:59am

Thanks, that's interesting, There must be some terrific performances stored in there. Can people just go in and watch anything they like?

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#30re: Miss Saigon DVD
Posted: 3/23/16 at 9:24am

You need to have a NYC Library card (but anyone can get it day-of, you don't need to live in NY or pay anything for it). Then you go to the third floor where the have the TOFT screening room (a room with computers where they feed the video source onto your personal screen and you watch with provided headphones).

You will need a reason to need to watch it, but it can usually just be "for a project" or "for character research" and it won't be questioned.

I have run into Alec Baldwin in that room!

Videos