News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Seduction of Sheila Valentine

The Seduction of Sheila Valentine

TT
#0The Seduction of Sheila Valentine
Posted: 8/20/06 at 8:46pm

Did anyone see this show at Lenape last night? Any comments? I didn't get a chance to see it...write back.

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#1re: The Seduction of Sheila Valentine
Posted: 8/20/06 at 9:19pm

I am still digesting and figuring things out. There was an overload of things going on up there.

I was given permisson to tape the talk back, so I will add what I can about Act 2. in the BWW review shortly.

In a nutshell, the philly actors rose to the occasion beautifully, imo. The female characters need to be developed and equalized. Plus there's a "little" surprise that should be interesting to see how that is received.

But as Jack Murphy says "It will likely all be rewritten by next Wed."

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

TT
#2re: The Seduction of Sheila Valentine
Posted: 8/20/06 at 9:25pm

Thanks loads for this...hated your comments on "Wildhorn engaged"...but I'm REALLY looking forward to this...too bad you can't post all the music as well...would love to hear more...would love a copy of the script, actually...wishful thinking, huh?

Well...don't want to disturb your writing..hurry, hurry...finish up, finish up!!!!

mrsparker
#3re: The Seduction of Sheila Valentine
Posted: 8/21/06 at 9:25am

I saw it and the premise is very, very clever. Yes, the Philly actors were excellent, particularly the actress who plays Linda Eder's rival, Rosalind. Whoever ultimately gets cast in that role is going to walk away with the show, regardless of how great Linda sings.

Linda's role of Irene Fontaine needs BIG-TIME development. Between songs, she's just not a particularly interesting character. There isn't enough backstory on her character, unlike Rosalind, whose whole backstory is one of the main comedic themes of the show. Irene is defined only by her reactions to the other characters and Linda's lines end up to be stuff like, "You idiot!" and "How could you do a thing like that to me!"

Her songs are good and she sings the bejeesus out of them as only Linda can, but the authors are expecting the songs to do all the heavy lifting where character development is concerned and it doesn't work.

I see good things ahead for this show because it's got so much going for it. Very inventive with concurrent plot lines that get tangled together in a really fun way. The second act sounds like it's great. Linda looked great, was in terrific voice and seemed like she was having a lot of fun watching the other actors, but she needs a real role to play here and right now there isn't much for her to work with.

Criticism is prejudice made plausible. -- H.L. Mencken

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#4re: The Seduction of Sheila Valentine
Posted: 8/21/06 at 10:43am

the woman who played rosalind's name is Mary Martello, a very talented Philadelphia actress who constantly works in the city. I agree with what everyone has said. Linda's character needs more development, and I know that will come, becuase Vince and Jack are very dedicated to this project. keep in mind, though that this reading has only been in rehearsal since Tuesday, so what the actors did with such a small amount of time is, I think, pretty wonderful.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

TT
#5re: The Seduction of Sheila Valentine
Posted: 8/21/06 at 4:58pm

Thanks for the review...some good criticism...I think a concept album would be wonderful with all the dialogue thus far...that would be even more incredible!!!! Then those of us who didn't get a chance to see it could at least hear it...maybe they could sell it online so they wouldn't have to mass produce it for the stores....well...thanks, again...

Videos