pixeltracker

WICKED composer blasts THE BEASTLY BOMBING in L.A.

WICKED composer blasts THE BEASTLY BOMBING in L.A.

WalkOn
#0WICKED composer blasts THE BEASTLY BOMBING in L.A.
Posted: 9/23/06 at 4:42pm

Ok..so I'm driving on Friday afternoon and listening to a radio show that is profiling this new show called THE BEASTLY BOMBING.

They played couple of tracks and score is GREAT!! The lyrics aren't "top-craft" , but they are so clever you forgive them..

So.. I'm waiting for the interviewer to tell me who the composer is. I figured the lyrics were grafted on to an old Offenbach score or some Gilbert and Sullivan score I wasn't familar with.. Nope. The score completely original. I was shocked.

The composer went on to say that Stephen Schwartz (who had attended a recent workshop) couldn't stop praising the score...
but Schwartz found the entire concept of the show so disgusting that he would do whatever he could to see that it was never produced. No lie - this is what the composer said.

So here is a link to the show. It is being done for a few weeks and I'm making it a priority to see it.

http://www.thebeastlybombing.com/

The bookwriters explained the plot and it seemed like a jet-black comedy, with political satire overtones. I am aware that this not everyone's taste, but I can't help but feel that such talent should be supported, encouraged and championed.

You can hear some of the score on the website.

Take a listen. What do you think?

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart; and you'll never walk alone.
Updated On: 9/23/06 at 04:42 PM

WalkOn
#1re: WICKED composer blasts THE BEASTLY BOMBING in L.A.
Posted: 9/23/06 at 7:06pm

Just a bump.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#2re: WICKED composer blasts THE BEASTLY BOMBING in L.A.
Posted: 9/23/06 at 7:15pm

sounds like a VERY interesting show!

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

broadwayjavajunkie
#3re: WICKED composer blasts THE BEASTLY BOMBING in L.A.
Posted: 9/23/06 at 7:18pm

The composer went on to say that Stephen Schwartz (who had attended a recent workshop) couldn't stop praising the score...
but Schwartz found the entire concept of the show so disgusting that he would do whatever he could to see that it was never produced.

If only someone had done that with Wicked.
Sorry, sorry. I couldn't resist.

"Shut up! Are you a communist?"

thevolleyballer
#4re: WICKED composer blasts THE BEASTLY BOMBING in L.A.
Posted: 9/23/06 at 7:24pm

"A terrible tale of terrorists tamed by the tangles of true love."

That alone is just hilariously inappropriate. I think this IS a little too far, but then again, some might say Avenue Q was, too. Still, this may be a little far, but I'm in love with this score. It's so hilarious, and catchy, too. I'm definitely interested.

I can't say I endorse it, as my uncle died in September 11th, and it's sort of a touchy subject -- but I'm not sure if the two are related. I'm interested to see what the book is like, though. Definitely interested.

I think it's wrong of Schwartz to say he'll do anything to stop the production, but... you know what, he could just as easily be an untalented, old Catholic PETA MADD activist who is offended and wants to stop production. Understandable.

shesamarshmallow
#5re: WICKED composer blasts THE BEASTLY BOMBING in L.A.
Posted: 9/23/06 at 7:54pm

Man, that sounds so good! I hope it extends just one week so I can see it when I'm home for thanksgiving...

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Coolkid123
#6re: WICKED composer blasts THE BEASTLY BOMBING in L.A.
Posted: 9/23/06 at 7:55pm

Is he jewish?

Sondheim Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim Geek
#7re: WICKED composer blasts THE BEASTLY BOMBING in L.A.
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:37pm

Schwartz? What do you think?

It sounds like a musical The Daily Show parody/Mad TV joke on crack. How can you not find it hilarious?

SondheimGeek: Is it slightly pathetic that you guys get to be Jedi bitches, and I'm Bitchy the Hutt?
LizzieCurry: No, you're more memorable

Coolkid123
#8re: WICKED composer blasts THE BEASTLY BOMBING in L.A.
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:39pm

I am not sure, I just tend to like Jewish composers more than non-jewish composers, and I hate Schwartz so something weird is up if he is indeed jewish.

Sondheim Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim Geek
#9re: WICKED composer blasts THE BEASTLY BOMBING in L.A.
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:43pm

Haha.. that's... to say the least, interesting. I dislike his work (and no, not just Wicked), but I admit he had potential. I don't want this to turn into a Wicked-bashing thread, because then everyone will blame it on me, but uh, well. I assume Stephen Schwartz is, in fact, Jewish.

SondheimGeek: Is it slightly pathetic that you guys get to be Jedi bitches, and I'm Bitchy the Hutt?
LizzieCurry: No, you're more memorable

WalkOn
#10re: WICKED composer blasts THE BEASTLY BOMBING in L.A.
Posted: 9/25/06 at 6:39pm

Thanks, thevolleyballer, I can't help but find the score catchy too.

There is so much "nothing scared" stuff out there these days, that being offended is almost passe. I stress almost.

Any other thoughts on the score?

Updated On: 9/25/06 at 06:39 PM

Videos