pixeltracker

Times article regarding eating in the theatre- Page 5

Times article regarding eating in the theatre

worrell4077
#100times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/23/07 at 3:12pm

I think it should only be for the family shows that they allow food because it would keep the kids in the seats(maybe) and happy and not yelling alot, well it worked a little when I saw The Grinch and there were kids with cotton candy and popcorn.

I think it should not be acceptable for food to be sold in the theatre, it's too distracting for the actors. The only theater it's acceptable is in a movie theater, not a Broadway theatre.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#101times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 7/29/07 at 10:44pm

I'm bumping this thread because of an irritating experience I had at a Nederlander theatre last week. First off, because of the fact that Nederlander theatres allow food and drink to be brought back to the seats, there is no pre-show announcement regarding "unwrapping candy wrappers before the show begins."

I sat through GREASE at the Brooks-Atkinson last week having to listen to the crinkling of a bag of skittles, and the crunching of them throughout the first act. The child consuming the skittles was sitting directly behind me. During intermission I approached an usher and was told there was nothing she could do or say, because food and drink are allowed at the seats and are allowed to be consumed during the show.

The second act begins, and the father of the little girl who was eating the skittles during Act I bought a beer that he drank throughout the first half of Act II, along with a bag of peanuts. The beer smelled awful, not to mention the distracting sipping sound, the crinkling of the peanuts bag, and the crunching of the peanuts.

Is it possible to just buy a ticket to a show anymore and expect to take in the show without ridiculous audience distractions?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

jochang621 Profile Photo
jochang621
#102times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 7/29/07 at 10:59pm

how horrid.

even with a pre-show announcement to unwrap any hard candies or lozenges before the show begins, i sat next to a woman a few days ago in the FRONT ROW literally 2 feet in front of the actors, who was rustling through a bag of candy the entire first act. it was at the curran theatre in san francisco for the tour of jersey boys. i was very annoyed.

i guess people who are going to eat, are going to do it, regardless of a pre-show announcement.

Plum
#103times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 7/29/07 at 11:05pm

If I want to sit next to some smelly beer-swillers, I'll go to Yankee Stadium. And if I want to get crumbs in the upholstery while I watch a show, I'll do it in my own living room. I'm really boggled by the idea that high ticket prices give you the right to do what you like in theaters. Why is it so hard to think of theaters as being like restaurants? In McDonald's you can eat with your fingers and let your kids smear ketchup on the table. The money you pay at an expensive restaurant most certainly doesn't give you the right to do the same- on the contrary, you go in wearing a tie because the money is supposed to indicate a certain level of class.

And let's not blame all this on tourists. The candy-crinkling hag I sat next to when I saw Bug was definitely a New Yorker- it's down to being a rude asshole, not your geography. Luckily I'm not eager to see a single show currently playing at a Nederlander theatre.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#104times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 7/30/07 at 1:48am

Is it possible to just buy a ticket to a show anymore and expect to take in the show without ridiculous audience distractions?

Well, Wanna Be, your first problem is that you saw Grease. times article regarding eating in the theatre It's sad that I've been on BWW so long that I see "skittles" and think it's a reference to me.

I was at Les Mis last week and someone was crinkling a bag for about 10 minutes throughout the first act. I finally started craning my neck to see where they were to see if they were close enough to tell to shut up (they're weren't; they were just so loud I thought they were closer). It turns out it was a McDonalds bag and they were passing it up and down the row so their group could share the fries.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

StageFan2 Profile Photo
StageFan2
#105times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 7/30/07 at 8:01am

"Logic is in the eye of the beholder
One thought these people have is that they paid their $120 and should be able to do what they want
But that's faulty logic because
The person next to you paid their $120 and should be able to enjoy the show they came to see - free from distractions
When you buy a ticket (as it's been said) you are entering into a contract between the ticket holder and the venue. The rules and regulations set up by that venue "goes" You aren't entitled to any more, or any less."

Bravo Craig! times article regarding eating in the theatre

*applauds logic*

Videos