pixeltracker

Two Gentlemen of Verona: The Musical question

Two Gentlemen of Verona: The Musical question

LucilleAndLeoFrank
#1Two Gentlemen of Verona: The Musical question
Posted: 1/5/07 at 8:11pm

Hi. I'm an associate artistic director at a local theater company and I'm readying a production of the musical version of Two Gentlemen of Verona. I saw the production in the park two years ago, and am very familiar with the cast recording, but I have one question: does Valentine absolutely have to be black, or can that be a colorblind role? Thanks in advance.

MargoChanning
#2re: Two Gentlemen of Verona: The Musical question
Posted: 1/5/07 at 8:19pm

I'm pretty sure that there's nothing in the text that requires the role be played by a black actor, so you should be fine casting the role (and much of the rest of the cast) colorblind.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#2re: Two Gentlemen of Verona: The Musical question
Posted: 1/5/07 at 8:32pm

I don't think any of the characters have to absolutely be any one race, Valentine included. Although the Latin and R&B elements in the music and libretto suggest Hispanic and black actors in the leads, it's really not essential. I think what the creators wanted more than anything was a sense of family and friendship throughout the cast.

It's true that the motivation behind the diverse original production was heavily influenced by racial issues, but I see that as just one interpretation of the material that was relevant to that time period. Mel Shapiro says in the OBC liner notes: "This was a time of the war in Vietnam and great racial divisiveness...The impulse behind the opportunity to do this show was to bring us together racially. We needed love, not more hatred of each other." It's that "love" he mentions that I think is the most important part of the show. If you've got that, it shouldn't matter what race anyone is.

I love this show--good luck and have fun with it!

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)

LucilleAndLeoFrank
#3re: Two Gentlemen of Verona: The Musical question
Posted: 1/5/07 at 8:40pm

Thanks very much, guys.

Yankeefan007
#4re: Two Gentlemen of Verona: The Musical question
Posted: 1/5/07 at 8:49pm

It's a great, fun show. On a certain website, you can see certain things from the recent production in the park if you want a refresher.

LucilleAndLeoFrank
#5re: Two Gentlemen of Verona: The Musical question
Posted: 1/5/07 at 8:54pm

Thanks, Yankee. Watching a certain clip, I'm astounded how much our Silvia resembles Renee Elise Goldsberry, both physically and vocally. Such a great production. Too bad it was never recorded.

Videos