News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Producers Tour REVIEW 1/19/07 *Knoxville*

Producers Tour REVIEW 1/19/07 *Knoxville*

firescape Profile Photo
firescape
#1Producers Tour REVIEW 1/19/07 *Knoxville*
Posted: 1/22/07 at 10:32am

Producers TOUR 1/19/07 *Knoxville*

I Wanted to give my thoughts on the new Producers tour:

First of all.....am I right with the information that this is a non-equity tour? Because the quality and performances proved incredible otherwise. Being an avid Broadway visitor several times year I must admit I still need to get my "fix" every once in a while locally. Over the past couple of years Knoxville's Broadway series has grown thanks to the management and supervision of the Nederlanders. Now I understand that our location here in town is that of a non-equity house limiting the city to most if not all non-equity tours. However, I have been very surprised from time to time at the incredible quality of some of these tours. I will be honest......Aida......ehh. Talent was phenomenal, lighting was even great but the quality of sets and production aspects were very much on a high school level. Let us just say that I was expecting much better quality for a national tour. Now, here comes The Producers!!!

I feel sorry for the reviewer from Philadelphia that posted in Nov about their experience with the sets. Yeah, it looks like your theater was extremely limited. The production here in Knoxville did not have any of the problems that you had mentioned staging wise. Believe me when I say that the Knoxville civic Auditorium is by no means a JEWEL but it must have had a bigger stage and/or wing space. The only thing staging I was disappointed about was the absence once again of the "white office" set and the absence of the giant mirror that flies down during springtime for Hitler! Because of the lack of mirror, the whole visual effect of the soldiers moving in the very familiar formation and in a circle is completely lost. Now believe me, I completely understand that there are certain circumstances that prohibit some things being done so I definitely will not cite this production due to those facts.

Therefore my only legitimate negative comment is due to the sound. The orchestra was great and one of the best touring group of musicians I have heard. Great full sound that did that old building proud. Now, unfortunately, due to micing, placement, or whatever: It was extremely hard at times to hear or understand the performers onstage. Group songs helped a little. When it got down to twos or single performers it was really hard to hear. The orchestra created a lot of noise even while underscoring would make it difficult to hear. Maybe it was where I was seated, I don't know. I do know that I missed Max's entire first song because I couldn't understand him. I know what he was saying but I felt bad for the rest of the audience who may not have been familiar with the witty song. I will admit that it seemed to get better as time went on. BUT THAT IS IT!!! THE END OF MY NEGATIVES

Everything else about this production was absolutely wonderful. The talent all around was extraordinary. Max and Leo were great singers and really added a lot to their characters while still remaining true to the original source. Leo's dancing wasn't as grand as even Broderick's but vocally he was much stronger. Max's vocals were also much stronger than Nathan's. The rest of the cast also were such energetic performers. Seeing this show again reminded me how much lacking the movie is and how many great parts they cut from the original production when they adapted it to the screen.

In closing, I would definitely recommend this tour to anyone who is interested in this show and truly loves quality. This tour is one of two that I have seen where I truly enjoyed it more than the Broadway performance itself. I know this is going to be big and please do not scald me for it but I saw Nathan Lane and Matthew do this on Broadway!! I can't explain it but I enjoyed this tour and it's performers more. Maybe it was the fact that I had no expectations and they completely topped that. I really don’t know how to explain it except for the fact that there was sooooo much energy with this cast!! It was electrifying!! Please go and enjoy! This is a performance you will not want to miss!!

Updated On: 1/22/07 at 10:32 AM

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#2re: Producers Tour REVIEW 1/19/07 *Knoxville*
Posted: 1/22/07 at 10:59am

Why did you feel the need to bump two old threads and then start another?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

firescape Profile Photo
firescape
#2re: Producers Tour REVIEW 1/19/07 *Knoxville*
Posted: 1/22/07 at 11:39am

That is a very easy question to answer. Many people get SCOLDED very harshly by COMMON people on these boards about not researching historic threads to find the answers they seek.

So keeping this in mind because I have been on the receiving end of these beatings before I posted not the "bumps" but the links to my review to other threads so that those searching the thread for a review of the Producers tour would find it even if the clicked on an out of date thread.

I was merely providing a service for others.

Is there a problem?

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#3re: Producers Tour REVIEW 1/19/07 *Knoxville*
Posted: 1/22/07 at 11:51am

You're just filling up the board with old threads, when you could have just posted your review.

It deserves it own thread...

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

firescape Profile Photo
firescape
#4re: Producers Tour REVIEW 1/19/07 *Knoxville*
Posted: 1/22/07 at 12:12pm

Anyway! So moving on.......

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#5re: Producers Tour REVIEW 1/19/07 *Knoxville*
Posted: 1/22/07 at 12:15pm

it is good to know that the stage could accomodtae the sets.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

chrrymn
#6re: Producers Tour REVIEW 1/19/07 *Knoxville*
Posted: 1/22/07 at 12:20pm

I was so excited when they announced the line up this year. I'd hoped to see most of them. Now I find myself broke and unemployed. I did see the recent tours of Peter Pan and Mama Mia, though. I wish I had that $$$ back, so I could see a GOOD show. I hope I can find some way to round up money for Hairspray!

::Sarah::
"Mrs. Lovett, how I did without you all these years I'll never know!"

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#7re: Producers Tour REVIEW 1/19/07 *Knoxville*
Posted: 1/22/07 at 12:26pm

I saw this here in Knoxville on Saturday the 20th and was very excited and happy. It was realllyyyy great.

Jason Simon as Max, during BETRAYED, at the 'Intermission' bit, sat on the bed and was reading the PLAYBILL. He said outloud and I quote, "He's not Nathan, but he's not bad." That endeared him to me and the rest of the sudience who apprciated his acknowloging the elephant in the theatre with humility and charm... and he's right: he wasn't Nathan, but he was *great*!

The sound at the Civic Auditorium does leave something to be desired re: Producers Tour REVIEW 1/19/07  *Knoxville* It always has, actually.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

firescape Profile Photo
firescape
#8re: Producers Tour REVIEW 1/19/07 *Knoxville*
Posted: 1/22/07 at 12:34pm

Eponine:
I am glad you enjoyed it. Have you seen any other touring shows here in knoxville? If you have, what were your thoughts and how do you think they compared to Producers?

parislover87 Profile Photo
parislover87
#9re: Producers Tour REVIEW 1/19/07 *Knoxville*
Posted: 1/22/07 at 12:42pm

I was there for the Sat. Matinee and thought it was splendid... of course some were just doing impressions/regurgitations of the movie... but it was wonderful... much better than Aida and Joseph...

It's the music and I'm its hapless victim

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#10re: Producers Tour REVIEW 1/19/07 *Knoxville*
Posted: 1/22/07 at 1:09pm

Firescape: I've seen them all over the past 12 years, I'm proud to say.

This season was VERY strong with AIDA (Loved the talent!) JOSEPH (Interesting new design) and THE PRODUCERS (AWESOME!) Not a big fan of HAIRSPRAY, so I will most likely not go.

THE PRODUCERS was actually far supierior to many of the tours I've seen here, including RENT, CATS, ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, SOUND OF MUSIC, CABARET and others. IMHO, the only tours that surpassed it were LES MIZ ans MISS SAIGON.

That said, I missed the "white set" bit and mirrors in SPRINGTIME *very* much re: Producers Tour REVIEW 1/19/07  *Knoxville* And one must also remember I am OBC obsessed with THE PRODUCERS and am hard on anyone else in any of the roles. I was expecting to simply groan the entire evening, but I laughed and smiled instead re: Producers Tour REVIEW 1/19/07  *Knoxville*

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 1/22/07 at 01:09 PM

Videos