average equity salary

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#25re: average equity salary
Posted: 12/5/15 at 5:55pm

I'm sorry for resurecting this thread out of hell, but how much would a lead in a non Union tour make?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 12/5/15 at 05:55 PM

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#26re: average equity salary
Posted: 12/5/15 at 7:02pm

It'll be on the notice.  I believe on the non-union tour of Mamma Mia! for example, it was roughly $500/week minimum.  For comparison sake, the equity minimum on a production contract is a hair over $1900/week minimum.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#27re: average equity salary
Posted: 12/5/15 at 7:25pm

So if an equity lead makes 5000 then a non Union lead would make 1316?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

AEA AGMA SM
#28re: average equity salary
Posted: 12/5/15 at 7:35pm

No, it is highly unlikely that you would ever find a producer willing to pay that much to a non-Equity actor. There is no direct correlation between Equity salaries and non-Equity salaries.

The thing you have to watch out for when looking at non-Equity casting notices that appear to have an unusually high salary is that often the producers will roll the salary and the per diem into one sum for the purposes of the casting notice, which creates the effect of looking like they are paying a much higher salary than they are in reality.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#29re: average equity salary
Posted: 12/5/15 at 9:40pm

No non-Equity tour would pay so much substantially more than an Equity contract. The main reason non-Equity tours exist is to cut costs on the increasingly non-profitable touring market, which means paying actors less. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Michael Kras Profile Photo
Michael Kras
#30re: average equity salary
Posted: 12/5/15 at 9:54pm

Here in Canada, the Equity standard salary is an absolute minimum of $580 a week.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#31re: average equity salary
Posted: 12/5/15 at 11:17pm

I love when a thread is resurrected that contains posts from Margo Channing. She was an encyclopedia of knowledge and insight. 

Mike Costa Profile Photo
Mike Costa
#32re: average equity salary
Posted: 12/5/15 at 11:50pm

Kad said: "The main reason non-Equity tours exist is to cut costs on the increasingly non-profitable touring market, which means paying actors less. "

Where are you getting your information that the touring market is increasingly non-profitable, is it from the producers themselves who have everything to gain by saying they are not making any money?

We in Equity see huge profits for non-Union tours.  Ticket prices are at an all time high.  Attendance on the road is up. The reason for using non-Union actors in First National Tours is simple greed on the part of producers. The non-Union Natl of Annie is even playing in NYC this month and it is causing outrage since it is directed by Martin Charnin.  It will play in a Union House, only the actors will not be paid Union Minimums ... in New York City!

Updated On: 12/6/15 at 11:50 PM