Ripper (Staged Reading) Report

Shakespearean Profile Photo
Shakespearean
#1Ripper (Staged Reading) Report
Posted: 3/20/07 at 1:22pm

Don’t panic! I know this was a staged reading, a work in progress, and the actors had 29 hours of rehearsal including call times. I wish only to make a few observations on the experience and the process and maybe generate a little excitement. Ripper, a new musical based on the story of Jack the Ripper, had its first East Coast staged reading at New World last night and it was a thrilling experience for several reasons. So here are all the things I shouldn’t write about.

First, the show itself, written by Duane Nelsen. While my specific comments are being sent directly to the creative team, I will say this: The show fulfilled my hopes and dashed my fears. Specifically, I didn’t want it to be Jekyll and Hyde, which I enjoyed but didn’t want to see again; several people in the audience expressed the same fears while we were waiting on line and one couldn’t help but note the similarities. This was a truly original take on a well-known story that still provided suspense, surprises, and a refreshing approach. The score was evocative of Lloyd Weber and Sondheim while maintaining its own integrity and even daring in some of the contrasting numbers. The use of the ensemble was very effective, and the harmonies and counterpoints often had the hair on my neck standing up. The score served the excellent book; the lyrics were clever and demanded your attention. As we got closer to the end of the story, which everyone knows HAS no end, I started to grow apprehensive. I didn’t want to see another show end without an ending, and I wasn’t disappointed! It was, in fact, satisfying and clever. I’m happy, I walked out humming some of the songs.

OK, I know you shouldn’t discuss performances with 29 hours of rehearsal, but is it ok if you frame it as a salute to professionalism? This was not an easy score, and I can only imagine how hard these performers worked in their limited rehearsal time. I didn’t know some of the names, but I’d drop $110 on a ticket to see them all, as is across the boards, on opening night. It’s hard to describe performances without describing the characters, but suffice it to say that Annie Golden (Mrs. Ratkin) was simply outstanding, thoroughly creeped me out, and should stick with the role all the way to Broadway. Colin Donnell has an amazing voice, great range, and some serious acting chops, cleverly brushing against but avoiding some expected clichés. Casey Brown also demonstrated an impressive passion, moved easily between several vocal styles, and had me holding my breath more than once. Davis Gaines, whom I once suggested should stop singing with his mouth full of chewed scenery, earns my Official Apology after his performance as Eddie Canard last evening. His was a difficult role, and he handled its complexity deftly, sang beautifully, and I can only imagine (eagerly!) where he could take it with more time.

The rest of the ensemble was uniformly excellent, handled their roles well, and offered clearly defined characters despite the ‘cheat’ of costumes and settings. I had no problem differentiating between character and ensemble role, etc and I must repeat that they handled a very complex, deeply layered score with polish and aplomb. I am sure a great deal of this is thanks to the direction by Stephen Amato and musical direction of Michael Morris. It’s hard to work from a recorded track with your conductor standing in a doorway off to one side.

This staged reading was a magical experience for another reason. The house was full of this cast and creative team’s friends and colleagues. Only in the theatre would you find so many professionals wanting to go ‘back to the office’ to encourage and support their colleagues on their one night off. Aside from the fact that I suddenly realized I was sitting behind one of my favorite Tarzan cast members (I swear I wasn’t stalking you, we were sitting there first!), it was awesome to look around and see so many familiar faces. The opportunity to see the creative process at work was a privilege, the opportunity to bask in the warmth of this kind of community was priceless.

Well, I made it to the end without ANY spoilers. Of course the show needs some trim and polish, it was a READING but I would pay to see it again tomorrow night. I would like to thank the producer, Esther Cohen, for opening this reading to the public. I wish more new shows would! I hope you picked up some financing, you certainly picked up a lot of cheerleaders. We had a chance to speak briefly before the show and she told me the online ticket reservations ‘sold out’ in four days. I suspect next time it could be hours. I hope there IS a next time and I eagerly await updates on the progress of this very promising show.

Shakespearean
#2re: Ripper (Staged Reading) Report
Posted: 3/21/07 at 8:38am

OK, one shameless bump, only out of a selfish desire to generate a little buzz about a new show that ought to be on its way to this board. OK, I know, I try to be positive about everything, but there was definitely some serious potential here. I promise not to bump it again :)

Did anyone else see the reading? The place was packed, I'm curious what others thought.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#2re: Ripper (Staged Reading) Report
Posted: 3/21/07 at 11:43pm

I didn't see the reading, but your review makes this seem like quite an interesting prospect. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

banana
#3re: Ripper (Staged Reading) Report
Posted: 3/22/07 at 1:20am

i don't mean to be rude. . . but this might have been the worst reading i have ever seen. the cast was okay, the music was crazy bad; it was just an overall mess. and i am not a very critical audience member. the fact that you are so positive makes me question who you are and what your attachments are to the piece.

BandNerd
#4re: Ripper (Staged Reading) Report
Posted: 3/22/07 at 1:41am

I attended the reading as well. While I do think the show has some potential, I wasn't entirely impressed. I left the theatre humming "Bring on the Men" instead a number from this show. The Ratkin character reminded me too much of Mrs. Lovitt from the original production of Sweeney. While I did like Colin Donnell, his character reminded me of some character from a film... I just can't quite place it. However, it was more memorable than the other reading I have attended.

I know that my friends from high school would have enjoyed this show- "dark" a la Jekyll & Hyde, Phantom and Sweeney Todd.

But would I pay $100 to see this show again? No. If it were, at some point in the future, to get a full production, I may try to get student rush or lotto tickets, but I would not pay full price.

Shakespearean
#5re: Ripper (Staged Reading) Report
Posted: 3/22/07 at 9:10am

Interesting, my first thought on the Mrs. Ratkin role was Mrs. Lovett also but as the first act progressed and the character developed (and it did), I was seeing more and more of the Emcee from Cabaret crossed with the Lead Player from Pippin, with a touch of the Johnny Depp-Keith Richards thing all wrapped up in Annie Golden . Short of Joel Grey doing a drag role, I think she should stay with the part. I'd like to see it with a week of rehearsal and a musical director that everyone can see from the stage.

Colin Donnell's role, Chester Talbot, could have been swapped with Joe the reporter in Sunset Boulevard though the reporter stereotype is unavoidable and I liked how they handled it. If it had been limited to just 'Ink', it might have seemed more of a 'moment' but the fact that they carried that thread through the show with the other reporters got me past that.

It was a staged reading, we know it needs some tuning, but I thought they put an interesting new spin on an old story and I'd like to see how it progresses. There's no way not to draw parallels to Sweeney and Jekyll, same dark themes and period, but I think they established their own material pretty well. The creative team looks pretty solid and I suspect it will only get better. For the price (free!) it was worth taking the late train home and I hope they let the public continue to remain involved in the process.

Videos