Keep the CORAM BOY Alive- Page 4

Keep the CORAM BOY Alive

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#75re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/24/07 at 10:41am

Thats what I meant, Roscoe--- only that you had given up
on "Coram Boy"-- basically, thats all I cared about----

Edit: BTW, anyone going tonight?? (Thurs)

Updated On: 5/24/07 at 10:41 AM

BroadwayPenguin2
#76re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/24/07 at 2:41pm

LittleFish, have you seen either of those musicals?

If not, please stfu.
I loved Legally Blonde as much as Grey Gardens and Company.

I will try to rush Coram Boy. What time should I get there for the Sat mat?

ashley0139
#77re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/24/07 at 2:49pm

I have to disagree with the OP. In no way is Coram Boy a "good time." That said, it's a very good play. It's an awful time, but it's intense and disturbing and it makes you think. And I loved that about it. There is no way I could sit through it again though.

I wish it would stay around too. It really is quite good.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#78re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/24/07 at 3:13pm

I can't speak for LittleFish, but I can say I saw both PQ and LB and would have described them as being horrible as well. But for the purposes of this thread that is neither here nor there, as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. What does matter though, is that if you disagree with her opinion that's fine but I think its rather rude to tell someone to "stfu" simply because you don't like what they wrote. You can say you don't like what they said but there's no need to jump on a person like that. It was incredibly uncalled for when you could have either a) stated your disagreement in a nicer way, or b) just ignored it and moved on. If I spent all my time telling people to "stfu" for stating things I thought were ridiculous, I'd have no time to do anything else and everyone would think I was a raving b***h.

As for Ashley0139 saying its not a "good time" I think for many people, myself included, if something is that intense and makes you think or feel a lot, then ends up being really uplifting at the end, its definitely a good time, but that's just my opinion. re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive

And hang on, when did you win the discus?
Updated On: 5/24/07 at 03:13 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#79re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/24/07 at 3:40pm

I went to the theater today, intending to rush. The person at the box office was this unfriendly little old lady. I asked where the rush seats were, and she said rear mezzanine -- I have a terrible fear of heights, so I asked her if there was anything in another location, and she told me not unless I wanted to pay $100. I asked her if perhaps coming earlier on another day might help me get better seats, and she told me no. Their policy states that rush is subject to availability. I know plenty of people who have rushed and gotten seats in other locations of the theater. I don't understand -- if the show is doing badly, you woudl think they'd want to sell tickets, not tell lies that prevent you from selling a few. Ugh.

With regards to the Legally Blonde and Pirate Queen versus Grey Gardens and Company issue, is it so hard to realize that you can love something that's bad? I thought The Pirate Queen was horrible, and I had a ball when I was there. People go on and on about how much they love these shows that other people think are terrible, and I just wonder why it's hard to get that something you love may not be that great. That doesn't -- and shouldn't -- stop you from loving it, but is it hard to acknowledge? I'm tired of people who purport to be informed about theater walking around with their heads in the sand proclaiming that these hugely problematic shows are wonderful. You like something? Great. But some things can be told objectively; if the book is awful and there are major plot holes, that's a problem that's not hard to figure out. Enjoyable fun is fine, but alone, good theater, by many standards, it does not make.

ANYway, while I'm not quite in the mood to sit through a three-hour play right now, I do want to see it before it closes. Hopefully tomorrow. I'll get up early to rush, I guess.

And, dark intensity is my idea of a good time, too... in its own sick, twisted way. re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive Hence my frequent wanderings to one certain Broadway house. re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 5/24/07 at 03:40 PM

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#80re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/24/07 at 4:08pm

Thanks Bythesword and Emcee. I guess saying PQ and LB are pieces of crap is a little harsh and I apologize. However, that is my opinion and I am NOT going to apologize for that. Critically speaking both shows - Pirate Queen and Coram Boy were not received well by critics. Yet, although they shared bad reviews, one is staying open while the other one is being pushed aside and crossed off of the theater lineup. Legally Blonde, although cited as enjoyable was written off as tuneless-fluff, which I agree whole heartedly agree with. I don't like the show. And I believe I am entitled to that opinion.

I completely agree with Emcee's sentiments on enjoying a show, but realizing its flaws. I have liked many a show that have been bad. I think we (and I include myself in this) take things a little too close to heart here, especially when we fall in love with certain shows. We come to its defense and rescue, and very often with no regard for others. I am sorry if I hurt your feelings by calling Legally Blonde crap -- but that's how I feel.

Peace LF
Edited for spelling.
Updated On: 5/24/07 at 04:08 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#81re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/24/07 at 4:13pm

No problem. re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive

I think you've (editorial) also got to learn how not to take it personally or be hurt when people dislike a show you love. I learned that the hard way this season.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 5/24/07 at 04:13 PM

ashley0139
#82re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/24/07 at 4:22pm

Yes, masochism is a good time. I'm just kidding. But I totally understand what people are saying.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Testing1232
#83re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/25/07 at 10:17am

Saw the show again last night. I tell you, if the theatre was this packed PRIOR to announcing the closing, they would be able to stay open !! Only seats that I saw empty were mezz, all the way in the corners.

Again, there were rumblings that they would extend (yes, I understand that the box office is selling tix thru Sunday only)

These rumblings apparantely were coming from the ushers !
(Probably wishful thinking/hoping on their parts)

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#84re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/25/07 at 8:26pm

Although my hope for it extending is virtually non-existent, I admit that I sure would love a surprise "we're staying open!" announcement. The feeling of the audiences every time I've seen it, and all the positive talk I've heard both in the theatre (and the other day when I happened to be in a parking garage with lots of people who had just seen the show) just makes me wish the powers that be did something about this decision to close.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#85re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/25/07 at 8:32pm

I agree. It would be nice. It would be even nicer if they'd made it like tonight so I could go see something else with a friend this weekend. But I've got my money set aside for Sunday to rush the closing performance. One of those happy-sad things. I'm happy to see the show again but sad that they're not sticking it out to see if word of mouth picks up ~ which I would think would have been their goal for the $25 tickets...no it's not making them a ton of money, but if it gets word of mouth going, business could pick back up.

I wish they'd thought of that sooner!

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

claudia2
#86re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/25/07 at 8:57pm

I saw this right before opening and loved it. I wish I could see it again before it closes!!

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#87re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/26/07 at 9:22am

Who else from BWW will be there tomorrow afternoon?

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#88re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/26/07 at 11:12am

I'm planning on it.

(Of course I now have NO computer at my house for 4-7 days at least. My less than 2 month old iMac crashed again. They "think" there's a faulty part in the power structure. They "think". How nice. It's under waranty...can't I have a new one since you obviously sold me a BAD Apple????)

So I'm planning on it...I'll try to check in here via an Apple Store sometime this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#89re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/26/07 at 3:16pm

Saw it again last night - when they taped it for Lincoln Center.

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

stargazer2 Profile Photo
stargazer2
#90re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/27/07 at 12:17am

I just came back from tonite's show and it was amazing. I can't believe that its closing.
The closing show is going to be a pretty packed house; i was told that they may not be doing student rush.

Testing1232
#91re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/27/07 at 12:22am

I will be there for the last re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive(

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#92re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/27/07 at 7:40am

I don't get why shows won't do student rush for their closing.

Grrr.

Guess I'll be seeing Moon or something this afternoon.

SOOOOO annoying.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Testing1232
#94re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/27/07 at 11:39am

Also looks like they have pulled all of the discount codes as well---- tried every one, and none worked---

Personally, I hope the theatre is packed today !!!

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#95re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive
Posted: 5/27/07 at 12:48pm

I don't know why it says I posted as kuku...that isnt my username. hmm... I guess my other pc has a virus or something. re: Keep the CORAM BOY Alive At any rate, I still have an extra ticket, front mezz, row d. I'm only asking what I paid for it, which is $25. If you're interested, I'll be outside the theatre in a short-sleeved brown striped shirt. I'll b leaving home shortly, so if anyone is interested, please send me a PM or look for me at the theatre.

- Eric