Finding Nemo - The Musical

leemac
#1Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/7/07 at 2:38pm

Finding Nemo - The Musical

Has anyone actually seen this show? I've heard the music and it is pretty amazing but didn't realize that the look of the show is like this. I've not received my copy of this magazine yet but I look forward to hearing what Booby Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez have to say about their Disney experience.
Tales from the Laughing Place Magazine

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#2re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/7/07 at 2:46pm

Yes, numerous times (if this is the one at DisneyWorld)

There is a thread on it somewhere on the boards. They did a GREAT job with it !!

They had a lot of tech issues early on, but runs smoothly now, and it is VERY good !!! We never miss it when we head to WDW.

The "Hunchback" show that was at MGM is still my fave, but this one is VERY close !!

Studmuffn520
#2re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/7/07 at 2:50pm

i saw it too. it was so good. i loved it. the music was great and they were all very talented. and i think the girl who played dory would make a great maureen johnson. hah

Testing1232
#3re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/7/07 at 2:52pm

I sing "Big Blue World" (think that is the name) all day after we leave the show !!!

leemac
#4re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/7/07 at 2:54pm

Glad to hear it. Always good to hear Disney pushing decent live entertainment in their theme parks.

I've been an avid subscriber of this magazine for ages as they have a lot of articles about the shows. Their Mary Poppins article in the last issue was phenomenal. Very candid interviews from the likes of Cameron Mackintosh, Tom Schumacher and the song-writers.

whatever2
#5re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/7/07 at 4:58pm

here's a verbatim clip of my post from the LAST time someone started a nemo thread, less than TWO months ago.

>snip<

holy crud! this is at least the third time this year this thread has been started. here's last month's iteration:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=936519#3049580

it's called "search" fellow posters! :)

>end snip<

so, now this is at least the FOURTH thread this year ...

why dont people search before they post? it's actually a great way to find tasty information about topics like this!!! try it ... you'll like it!!!

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#6re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/7/07 at 5:04pm

The singing and costumes/puppetry is great.

As a show, the story has been cut so much that it has lost a lot of the charm of the movie. But, it is only about 50 minutes long and more wouldn't fit in the theme park schedule.

Studmuffn520
#7re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/7/07 at 5:33pm

it would be much better if so much wasnt cut.

leemac
#8re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/7/07 at 5:43pm

>snip<

holy crud! this is at least the third time this year this thread has been started. here's last month's iteration:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=936519#3049580

it's called "search" fellow posters! :)

>end snip<

so, now this is at least the FOURTH thread this year ...

why dont people search before they post? it's actually a great way to find tasty information about topics like this!!! try it ... you'll like it!!!

LOL! I did actually try but the search function is pretty terrible on this site. Not the easiest way to sort.

Anyhow wanted to share the article in Tales magazine so there is something new! re: Finding Nemo - The Musical

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#9re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/7/07 at 6:25pm

You can hear first hand how they feel..

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=18716

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

leemac
#10re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/7/07 at 6:48pm

Saw that video Craig. Was entertaining. Good job.

The print article though has a lot of production artwork and costume designs etc. that Disney have supplied. The article also includes some of the other personnel involved such as the creative director Michael Jung. The article (as you'd expect for its size) is considerably more in-depth as it runs 11 pages. Disney must have really pulled out all the stops for these guys.

whatever2
#11re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/7/07 at 10:04pm

yea, i agree the search function isnt all it could be, but -- hey! we get what we pay for!!!

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#12re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/7/07 at 10:09pm

*EPCOT Liberation Army runs in*

Keep the fish in Animal Kingdom! Bring back Seabase Alpha!

*throws intelligent, thematically unified tear gas bomb; disappears*

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)

bwayboy310
#13re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/12/07 at 3:20am

Wish I could see that article!

germ83
#14re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/13/07 at 5:29pm

I got the opportunity to work with the costume designer on the show! She worked on it for about a year and a half. it was so tideous...i swear she cranked out at least 5 different designs of the complete show before they were finalized for disney execs! (of course she was very well compensated) it was interesting watching her work with Curry on the puppets...because the costumes serve as a back ground to the puppetry but they complete the look...so they are just as important. Many of the fabrics were digitally printed in NYC and are one of a kind that she created. Helen Huang is the costume designers name..and she doesn't get the credit she deserves..because people just assume that costumes and the puppets were all designed by the same person.

The show is great...and kids of all ages are loving it..including me...but maybe that is because I have been so invovled...

Testing1232
#16re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/25/07 at 8:49pm

Finally got the CD today (they werent even selling it in DisneyWorld this past April)

Looking at the credits. Had no idea Stephanie D'Abruzzo was part of the cast !

Rentaholic2
#17re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/25/07 at 8:56pm

is NOBODY gonna comment on the fact that the original post says Booby Lopez? Really? I'm gonna have to do it? Ok, here goes...

hee hee you said Booby

sweeneynut Profile Photo
sweeneynut
#18re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/25/07 at 10:41pm

Oooh, they have the actual CD now? Does it have a booklet? With pictures?

Anyway, here's the cast list via Craig for anyone who doesn't have it/too lazy to search:

Marlin: Bobby Lopez
Nemo: Kate Wetherhead
Dory: Kristen Anderson-Lopez
Crush: Victor Chan
Mr. Ray/Gill: Victor Hawks
Bruce: Graham Stevens
Anchor/Main Moonfish: Doug Shapiro
Chum/Nigel: Jordan Gelber
Pearl/Darla: Sara Wordsworth
Tad/Squirt: Karla Mosley
Bloat: Michael ML Wooley
Sheldon/Deb: Stephanie D'Abruzzo
Coral/Peach: Alison Cimmet

By the way, who's Tad?

"My muffin top is all that/whole grain and low-fat/I know you want a piece of that/But I just wanna dance!"

Testing1232
#19re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/25/07 at 10:43pm

<< Oooh, they have the actual CD now? Does it have a booklet? With pictures?>>

Yes, and yes :))

Got it at the Disney Store on 55th

sweeneynut Profile Photo
sweeneynut
#20re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/25/07 at 11:14pm

55th?? Like, in NY?

I am SO there tomorrow. :)

Thanks for the info!

"My muffin top is all that/whole grain and low-fat/I know you want a piece of that/But I just wanna dance!"

Testing1232
#21re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/25/07 at 11:27pm

Yep. 55th in NYC-

Amazon isnt even selling it right now.

It was $12.98 :))

Timmer
#22re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/26/07 at 12:56am

Any chance it will ever show up on Broadway?

jagfkb
#23re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/26/07 at 7:33am

Even though I think the idea is genious, this show needs more work inorder to be a suitable Broadway show. This could easily be Disney's first 90 minute show on Broadway with a few new songs and additions to the plot. However, a 2 act musical is what tourists would like more. Main problem: There's one section that annoys me: the music before Nemo is captured. Why is it rock music? IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!?! also, the rhyme sound like they're out of a Dr. Seuss picture book for this moment. Also, they should definately add the seagulls into the plot, and they should also show how Nemo clogs the filter and then how the filter unclogs. However, once they work these kinks out, as well as make every thing a whole lot longer, this would really work.

musicalfan07 Profile Photo
musicalfan07
#24re: Finding Nemo - The Musical
Posted: 8/26/07 at 8:17am

Ooh, Kate weatherhead in Nemo in the recording! i love her on the peice demo!
musicalfan07

Videos