pixeltracker

When NOT to sit in the cheap seats

When NOT to sit in the cheap seats

mattnyc2 Profile Photo
mattnyc2
#1When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/4/07 at 10:38pm

One great thing I love about Broadway theaters is that there never seems to be a bad seat in the house. Whenever I have to pay full price for Broadway I usually get rear mezzanine seats because they're cheaper and the view is usually great.

I can only think of two instances where I found the cheap seats to be a problem: The first is when I sat in the last row of the orchestra for Tarzan. The entire top half of the stage was cut off, and this was before they installed the monitors. Disney had no right to charge over fifty bucks for such crappy seats. The second example is when I saw Journey's End at the Belasco. I was sitting in house seats in the fourth row and the stage seemed very far away. For such a small set in a big theater I would imagine that the balcony would be terrible for viewing this.

Any other examples of where not to sit in a specific broadway theater?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#2re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/4/07 at 10:47pm

The last row of the mezz at the Broadway Theater...way too far away.

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#2re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/4/07 at 10:51pm

That is totally true...I sat there for COLOR PURPLE and felt like I was never part of the show...thought I was like watching it on my TV set, that is how far away it was...I was so distant from the show, did not care. At times my eyes started to water, cause it was hard for me to concentrate.

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#3re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/5/07 at 12:18am

I personally can't stand the height of the balcony at the Palace. Even in the front row, I just get dizzy up there.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

jewelchk
#4re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/5/07 at 12:20am

The worst seats I've ever had were the lotto seats at Chorus Line. So extreme left orchestra that it seemed like half the stage was obstructed. Okay for the $25, but I probably would have liked the show better if I could have seen more of it.

"I thought that that was just going to be a like one shot deal for me, you know, but they kept talking about it like, 'when we do the production, when we do the production', and I was like, 'yes, yes, when you do the production, cool, I will come and see it'". - John Gallagher Jr. on SA

henryt
#5re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/5/07 at 12:51am

I was in the last row of the balcony for the Legally Blonde MTV taping and felt like I was looking out a fourth story window. I was able to move up to the mezzanine.

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#6re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/5/07 at 5:41am

How can you say every Broadway theatre has excellent viewing from all seats. Its now very clear that you have been to very few.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#7re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/5/07 at 7:27am

Not totally cheap, but the $60. front row balcony at New Amsterdam was terrible, there is NO LEG ROOM AT ALL. I had to sid with my legs sticking out into the asile the whole night.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

mattnyc2 Profile Photo
mattnyc2
#8re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/5/07 at 9:40am

WickedBoy2, I have actually seen about 40 to 50 shows on broadway in my lifetime. The above were the only two times where I found my seating location to interfere with my enjoyment of the show. Hope that clears it up for you.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#9re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/5/07 at 9:45am

The far sides in the orchestra for Spamalot obstructed much of the stage. Also at the Schubert the back of the mezzanine and balcony would cut off the top half of the stage.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

mattnyc2 Profile Photo
mattnyc2
#10re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/5/07 at 9:56am

So Mister Matt, would it be a bad idea to get the $36 balcony seats to Spamalot? I would like to eventually see the show again but am not willing to pay full price (did standing room the first time, which I thought was pretty great for this show).

the_musical Profile Photo
the_musical
#11re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/5/07 at 11:29am

i've found sitting in the balcony in the walter kerr is a little too far away, especially the second row. i sat there during my second trip to grey gardens, so it was fine. but i wouldn't want a first view from up there.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#12re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/5/07 at 12:37pm

<< i've found sitting in the balcony in the walter kerr is a little too far away, especially the second row. i sat there during my second trip to grey gardens, so it was fine. but i wouldn't want a first view from up there >>

That was the WORST view I have ever had !!!

I couldnt see half the stage !

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#13re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/5/07 at 1:19pm

The Lyceum Theatre's balcony is way too far away for me. i had to concentrate very hard to focus on anything on stage. also, having sat in Row J Orchestra of the Hilton Theatre before, i'd be willing to bet the balcony of that theatre is too far away too. Row J of the Hilton Theatre made me feel like i was watching for the mezz!

mattnyc2 Profile Photo
mattnyc2
#14re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/5/07 at 1:50pm

interesting Folkyboy, I've sat in the balcony at the Lyceum twice and never had a problem with it (although it is very steep up there). It's also nice not having to walk all the way downstairs for the mens room either.

As for the Hilton, the rear of the balcony does seem miles away from the stage, but you still get a full unobstructed view. I remember that when 42nd street was playing you could sit there for only $20, which is a pretty good deal. However $50-65 for the rear balcony nowadays seems a little ridiculous.

Clarinetbiter135 Profile Photo
Clarinetbiter135
#15re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/5/07 at 2:33pm

Unless you're sitting in the very middle of majestic, the seats seem to suck.... at least, thats from my experience...

And the lottery seats at the nederlander have absolutely no leg room.... ick

kate2
#16re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/5/07 at 7:55pm

I thought the "cheap seats" at the Shubert were well worth the money. Sure, it is a little steep, but it's a great view. You can see the whole stage from up there.

lfae Profile Photo
lfae
#17re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/5/07 at 7:58pm

When I saw Grey Gardens I was initially on the VERY end of the front row and it was so close that I honestly could only see the tiniest sliver of stage. (Fortunately before the show began an usher let me and the woman beside me move back a few rows, because there were some empties!)

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#18re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/5/07 at 8:38pm

Front row at the 2nd balcony of the Shubert provides an excellent view of the stage and does not seem that far away. You can get front row if you plan far enough in advance. I saw CRAZY FOR YOU in 2nd balcony front row seats 4 times by buying way in advance. I loved that Gershwin show! What is Harry Groener doing these days? He was fantastic in the lead, a real triple threat actor, IMO.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

AudreyTwoTwo Profile Photo
AudreyTwoTwo
#19re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/5/07 at 9:48pm

When I sat at Grey Gardens, I was in the 4th row to the side, and although I could see most of the stage I couldn't see when through that window that appeared at the beginning of the first act and the second act and at the very end).
I was up against the wall at the Imperial for DRS. Felt very claustrophobic.

The Best of Times is Now!

MarkCohen2 Profile Photo
MarkCohen2
#20re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/6/07 at 1:49pm

I have back row rear mezzanine seats to Wicked at the Gershwin. Will I be able to see anything? I've heard the theatre is massive.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#21re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/6/07 at 1:59pm

The Walter Kerr's balcony is just pointless. I stood at my seats up there because I couldn't see over the first row of the balcony (there are only two). I think I held onto the pole that was practically on top of my seat to support myself. We moved down to the 2nd row of the orchestra all of the way off to the side. Not the greatest, but a VAST improvement compared to whats up at the top.

I think the air is different up there too.

::bust a move::

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#22re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/6/07 at 2:11pm

The Plymouth/Schoenfeld Theater last row....it was STILL too close to watch "Brooklyn"

Seriously, The balcony at the New Amsterdam for "The Lion King" was horrible. Missed half of the action and felt totally excluded from the big Circle of Life opening.

mattnyc2 Profile Photo
mattnyc2
#23re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/6/07 at 3:13pm

I sat in the fourth row of the balcony for Lion King at the New Amsterdam and had a great view, although it did suck not seeing the actors walk down the aisle in Circle of Life.

Speaking of the New Amsterdam, how are the last couple rows of the balcony? They're only 25 bucks but have those stupid poles infront of them. Do the poles really get in the way, or are there places to sit where they don't obstruct your vision?

MarkCohen2 Profile Photo
MarkCohen2
#24re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
Posted: 11/6/07 at 3:36pm

It just depends on where you're sitting in the balcony. My seat was just fine, but the seat next to me was behind a pole. It's sorta the luck of the draw. And for a show like Mary Poppins, it's not entirely essential to sit too close, so I enjoyed myself in the balcony. Hope this helps.

Anybody have an answer to my Gershwin question?

Videos