pixeltracker

Monday night with Rudetsky, Martin, Testa, McArdle and the [tos]pack

Monday night with Rudetsky, Martin, Testa, McArdle and the [tos]pack

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#1Monday night with Rudetsky, Martin, Testa, McArdle and the [tos]pack
Posted: 11/20/07 at 11:47pm

OK, it was a few nights ago, but I'd be remiss if I didn't post a few words about the funny and unexpectedly touching evening at Ars Nova celebrating the release of Seth Rudetsky's new book Broadway Nights - a Romp of Life, Love and Musical Theatre. Seth read selected chapters with the nimble assistance of Mary Testa (as the overly dramatic opera-singing mother of "Stephen Sheerin" - NOT his alter-ego, as Seth kept reminding the crowd),Andrea Martin (as Stephen's psychotic housekeeper-minder) and from [title of show], Susan Blackwell (as a Box Office ticket-taker with mondo attitude) Jeff Bowen (as Stephen's best friend Jeffrey) and Hunter Bell (as Jeffrey's obnoxious boyfriend).

There were a few terrific musical interludes. Andrea McArdle sang "Maybe" (from ANNIE) and sounded exactly as she did when she introduced it (eerie and fab), while a tidbit-sized concert of [title of show](with Larry Pressgrove on the keyboard) was supplied by Jeff and Hunter with "A Part of It All", and joined by Susan and Heidi Blickenstaff, they rocked hard with my favorite song from the score, "Die, Vampire, Die". Hearing it loud and live once more, one got a new appreciation of high tight the groups harmonies are and how relevant the lyrics are for any creative person. And I much prefer the revised "Precious Moments angel figurine" lyrics in place of "fat-ass, fat Aunt Fanny".

But the highlight was undoubtedly Heidi's solo of "A Way Back To Then". As if suddenly aware of the fact that one of her childhood idols was sitting behind her, Heidi got choked up at the line "Hearing Andrea McArdle sing on the Hi-Fi in the den" and held back tears as she soaringly delivered the definitive performance of the song - and the sold-out audience went berserk.

Afterwards, it was fun to hang a bit with the cast and fellow book buyers (met some nice guys there) as Seth signed copies ($15.95), with the proceeds to be donated to BC-EFA.

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"
Updated On: 11/20/07 at 11:47 PM

BeingAliveNYC2 Profile Photo
BeingAliveNYC2
#2re: Monday night with Rudetsky, Martin, Testa, McArdle and the [tos]pack
Posted: 11/21/07 at 12:26am

Have you read the book yet? I've been debating whether or not to buy it.

'If they told you you could never love yourself, it was a lie.'- Taboo

HJAJtheFirst Profile Photo
HJAJtheFirst
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#3re: Monday night with Rudetsky, Martin, Testa, McArdle and the [tos]pack
Posted: 11/21/07 at 12:12pm

It was a magical night! I love your review, TulitaPepsi.

P.S. The book is super fun.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Videos