pixeltracker

Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?

Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?

Chason Profile Photo
Chason
#1Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 12:53pm

You know the film version has got to be just around the corner. It's considerably more cinematic than a lot of recent Broadway to screen transfers. With the right director, cinematographer, and actors it could be emotionally scalding. It's my favorite musical ever. I'm going with Baz Luhrmann. His gorgeous Moulin Rouge proves (among other qualifications) that he's not afraid of sad endings (God forbid should Hollywood tack on a happy one). I can truly see it being nominated for 11 Academy Awards, including Best Picture. We'd be back in musical movies territory BIG time! :) What others directors would be a good candidate?

George: Rubbing alcohol for you, Martha? Martha: Never mix, never worry!

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#2re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 12:56pm

Julie Taymor.

SueSnell
#2re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 12:57pm

Oliver Stone.

And James Marsden has GOT to play Chris!

Bad Jazz Singing- The Agony of Defeatism, The Thrill of It All

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#3re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 1:09pm

Jimmy wont do another movie musical.

JoMarch Profile Photo
JoMarch
#4re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 1:14pm

About 10 years ago, Spielberg expressed interest in directing the film version.

Chason Profile Photo
Chason
#5re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 1:29pm

SPIELBERG would be an honor!
James Marsden might be a bit old to play Chris (though he's certainly good-looking enough).

Rosalind Profile Photo
Rosalind
#6re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 1:33pm

Why would James do another movie musical? To break free from a mold, or did he say this?

"Just remembering you've had an 'and' when you're back to 'or' Makes the or mean more, than it did before..."

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#7re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 1:34pm

I don't know if the material is strong enough. Although, this could be a nice new "star making" role for the young lady who lands Kim (ala Jennifer Hudson etc.).

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#8re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 1:36pm

Is there a film version in the works?

Wonder if Hytner has ever seriously been considered.

What great ones do the less will prattle of
Updated On: 12/29/07 at 01:36 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#9re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 1:40pm

I wonder if they would re-structure the story, and eliminate the flashbacks and tell the story from A to B. The only reason it was ever done that way to begin with was because they didn't want to use their big effect (the helicopter) in Act 1.

Chason Profile Photo
Chason
#10re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 1:41pm

"Wonder if Hytner has ever seriously been considered".

BigFatBlonde
#11re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 1:43pm

Chason, was he offered a chance to direct the film years ago?

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#12re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 1:45pm

It should be Nicholas Hytner. He's gained a lot of experience in directing films since 1989.

Chason Profile Photo
Chason
#13re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 1:46pm

"I wonder if they would re-structure the story, and eliminate the flashbacks and tell the story from A to B. The only reason it was ever done that way to begin with was because they didn't want to use their big effect (the helicopter) in Act 1.
No no no. I don't believe that. The flashbacks are perfect - just the way they are. It gives the play/movie the dramatic effect it needs. The helicopter (itself) won't mean much in a movie version... it won't need special effects.

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#14re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 1:52pm

I personally like the flashback as well. Adds a little twist to the presentation. I vote for Rob Marshall for set design and choreography. Direction...Spielberg, if he's still interested.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

BigFatBlonde
#15re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 1:53pm

I don't agree. On stage the flash back was ackwardly shoe-horned in to the second act.

As a story telling device it made little sense.

It was so clearly a ploy to keep the audience looking forward to second act and the much tauted helicopter effect.

If a film version is made, I suspect they will put the helicopter scene in its proper chronological place.

Again... is there a film version in the works? Or is this wishful thinking?

Updated On: 12/29/07 at 01:53 PM

Chason Profile Photo
Chason
#16re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 2:13pm

"Again... is there a film version in the works? Or is this wishful thinking?"
I think it's a bit more than wishful thinking. With Hairspray, Rent, Phantom, Mama, Sweeney - Saigon has got to be soon. BTW, BigFatBlonde (change that name immediately - you're lovely) I think the flashback is not about the HELICOPTER at all! It's about the way Chris & Kim were seperated. It's one of the (though often used) plot points in which unusual circumstances keep two lovers from meeting as planned.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#17re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 2:22pm

Speilberg should direct.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

MerMaggieGalinda
#18re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 2:27pm

Jake Gyllenhaal for Chris!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#19re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 2:30pm

"I think the flashback is not about the HELICOPTER at all! It's about the way Chris & Kim were seperated. It's one of the (though often used) plot points in which unusual circumstances keep two lovers from meeting as planned."

Onstage, that flashback was absolutely about the helicopter, whether that was the authors' intentions or not.

Chason Profile Photo
Chason
#20re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 2:42pm

"Onstage, that flashback was absolutely about the helicopter, whether that was the authors' intentions or not."
That just seems silly to me - so please EXPLAIN. The POINT of the flashback (helicopter or NOT) is to show how Chris & Kim were seperated - LOST - as in.... they could not LOCATE one another. That's the entire reason they weren't together. They LOVED each other. Maybe (in the movie) this "explanation" could be shown LATER in the story - but it's crucial to the story arc, and I don't think it would be NEAR as powerful if it were shown in chronological order. The whole POINT of the story is to show that things would have been completely different if Chris & Kim had BOTH borded that helicopter as planned.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#21re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 3:34pm

As soon as I saw the title to this thread my mind jumped to thinking Speildberg off the bat. But, that is just me.

I think that if you look byond the whole helicopter scene in act two and look at it as a story line it is a very important story line.

I just finished listining to the CSR of Miss Siagon. There is more to the fall of Siagon flashback then there is on the cast recording. Kim is having a nightmare where she hears Thuy's voice saying that Chris will betray her and forget about her. Then it goes into the helicopter scene.

I think that the point in which it comes in act two makes it even more important.

Yes, act two in Miss Siagon is all about the helicopter. Just like Les Miserables is about the barricade and Phantom has the Chandelier. But, all those things are important to the story line and they aren't there for the hell of it.

I also think Speildberg should direct because he is GREAT with war movies.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#22re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 4:15pm

"That just seems silly to me - so please EXPLAIN. The POINT of the flashback (helicopter or NOT) is to show how Chris & Kim were seperated - LOST - as in.... they could not LOCATE one another. "

You're not seeing my point....I understand what they were trying to show, but it became all about the helicopter. People looked forward to act 2 because they were going to see a helicopter land and take off onstage. It was their big moment.

"The whole POINT of the story is to show that things would have been completely different if Chris & Kim had BOTH borded that helicopter as planned. "

I would think that goes without saying. You don't need a flashback to realize that. I Still Believe does a fine job of showing that.

COOOOLkid
#23re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 6:30pm

I also think Speildberg should direct because he is GREAT with war movies.

winston, I'm always amazed by your stupidity, but wow...

Miss Saigon is NOT about the war. There's no Battle of Normandy in Miss Saigon.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy
Updated On: 12/29/07 at 06:30 PM

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#24re: Who Should Direct MISS SAIGON - the Movie?
Posted: 12/29/07 at 6:40pm

George Lucas

LOL jk

I wanna direct it.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Videos