Spring Break Trip Next Week

BWJohnson
#1Spring Break Trip Next Week
Posted: 3/11/08 at 11:26pm

Hey Everyone, I know y'all get alot of post like this, but, here's another one:)
We will be in town from March 17-23...

so far we have tickets for:
SPRING AWAKENING
IN THE HEIGHTS
LEGALLY BLONDE

shows we are considering seeing:
XANADU
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
JERSEY BOYS
WICKED (we both have seen yet, its a great cast now)

give me your thoughts....
also, at the end give me 2 resturant ideas before theatre... and a short reason why!

thanks everyone!

BWJohnson
#2re: Spring Break Trip Next Week
Posted: 3/12/08 at 12:04am

bump.

anyone got any ideas? :)

kate2
#2re: Spring Break Trip Next Week
Posted: 3/12/08 at 12:13am

I highly highly recommend Xanadu! There's no other show like it. Perfect show for a fun Spring Break trip. And what is your price range for restaurants... that might help people make suggestions.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#3re: Spring Break Trip Next Week
Posted: 3/12/08 at 1:59am

I'd DEFINITELY second the recommendation for XANADU at the Helen Hayes Theatre. You won't regret seeing it - It's hilarity to the umpteenth degree, starring the uproariously enchanting Kerry Butler and the Broadway buck himself, Cheyenne Jackson, along with the legendary Mr. Tony Roberts and the dynamic duo of mischief and mayhem in Mary Testa and Jackie Hoffman. With a clever book by Douglas Carter Beane, 'all-too-familiar' score featuring the 80's tunes of the Elctric Light Orchestra, and a cast of bright, young, fresh, energetic characters (both human and muse) on rollerskates, you truly cannot and will not go wrong!

As for plays? Maybe try to get tix to CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF playing a limited engagement (thru June 22nd) at the Broadhurst Theatre. With Debbie Allen at the helm, this production goes down in history as the first production, as sanctioned by the Tennessee Williams Estate, to offer all-African American cast portraying the classic characters. With the likes of James Earl Jones (yes, *that* James Earl Jones) as 'Big Daddy', The Cosby Show's Phylicia Rashad as his wife 'Big Mama', Terrence Howard (making his B'way debut) as their son 'Brick', and the extremely poised and poignant performance of Anika Noni Rose as 'Maggie the Cat', this is a must-see cast (and) a must-see show! Of course, on here, you'll find mixed opinions - it's one of those love/hate relationships, I'd assume. Critics were mixed, but PRAISED Ms. Rose for her performance as the title character. Star power being what it is, this particular piece being as masterfully-crafted as it is, I think you'll enjoy it for everything it's worth!

As far as dining goes, I suggest The Pig 'n' Whistle on West 47th (burgers, sandwiches, etc., etc.) - Great food, fine wait staff, extremely reasonably priced dishes, nice atmosphere, too. Another suggestion would be Ellen's Stardust Diner on West 51st. It's a really lovely joint, the wait staff SINGS! I've had the plesaure of dining there a few summers back and enjoyed the food (and) entertainment a whole heckova lot. In short, I won't press any more than I already have. Again, these are just .02, and I wholeheartedly wish you that you enjoy your trip! re: Spring Break Trip Next Week

Best,
- Mike
Updated On: 3/12/08 at 01:59 AM

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#4re: Spring Break Trip Next Week
Posted: 3/12/08 at 2:46am

"give me your thoughts....
also, at the end give me 2 resturant ideas before theatre... and a short reason why!"

do we have to double-space and site our sources?

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#5re: Spring Break Trip Next Week
Posted: 3/12/08 at 6:52am

XANADU
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
JERSEY BOYS
WICKED (we both have seen yet, its a great cast now)- Will be playing for years and years go see a show that may not be there forever

Personally from your pick I would go with YF or Xanadu just because I have seen the Jersey Boys tour and Broadway and they are really close and Wicked well I actually preferred the tour I saw of it....

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#6re: Spring Break Trip Next Week
Posted: 3/12/08 at 10:15am

Elphaba- I was thinking the same thing! lol.

All 4 of your choices sound great! I would definitely pick Young Frankenstein and Xanadu. Two restaurant recommendations are Juniors and John' Pizzeria. Have a wonderful trip!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

Kristeliz Profile Photo
Kristeliz
#7re: Spring Break Trip Next Week
Posted: 3/12/08 at 9:29pm

I would go see Gypsy (I mean come on..Patti Lupone) or Wicked because Stephanie J. Block is awesome. I also love Xanadu and Cheyenne's voice is simply beautiful..as is he. ;-0

My new fave restaurant is Tony DiNapoli because their waiters are great, food is decent, they have sangria AND you can book on Open Table and make a reservation. Oh and they have fun caricatures on the walls.

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#8re: Spring Break Trip Next Week
Posted: 3/12/08 at 10:01pm

I second the seeing WICKED for Stephanie J Block sentiment. She's really amazing!

dave1606
#9re: Spring Break Trip Next Week
Posted: 3/12/08 at 10:52pm

i would kill to see SJB in wicked again. love her.

Videos