dramagirl487
#1Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 7:53pm

I am looking for a great show to take my parents to, but they're highly put off by inappropriate or crude humor, and also sexually explicit shows.

I honestly don't agree with them, so i tend to go on my own to see shows like RENT and Avenue Q, but i don't know much about which shows they would like.

How about Sunday in the Park with George, or August:Osage County?

i'm particularly interested in Sunday in the Park with George, since i'd think they would like the plot. Any ideas?

dramagirl487
#2re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 7:55pm

by the way, the occasional reference or bad word is okay, if its mild. just my parents get offended by "off-color" plot lines or anything.

they loved Les Mis and Phantom, so we don't need to completely go for Disney, but i'm hoping one of the shows i can get a theatermania discount for

LePetiteFromage
#2re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 7:58pm

As far as I can remember Sunday would be safe parent material. I don't know about August.

There's the usual family fare like Little Mermaid or Hairspray. But I think you should go for Sunday if you want to see it.

JulianHookbucks Profile Photo
JulianHookbucks
#3re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 7:59pm

if they're into shows that make you think and something that Sondheim wrote which has very complicated melodies and plot... then go see Sunday... some people (my mother) can't stand it... and thinks thought that it was boring...

August is not the show you're looking for. A ton of profanity and it's not a happy experience in the theatre if you don't go a lot. Brilliant beautiful show... but... judging by what you said... not for your parents...

that's a really big mic...

dramagirl487
#4re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 7:59pm

lmao my dad didn't like Hairspray because it had a man playing a female part.

parents. lol

dramagirl487
#5re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:01pm

hmm. it sounds like my dad and i would LOVE "Sunday" but my mom, who barely likes broadway and prefers the flashy shows like 42nd street and wicked, would probably find it boring.

i think i'll definately need to see it with my dad though. it sounds SO interesting

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#6re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:01pm

Haha jeez, I just realized how hard it is to find one. You could try Little Mermaid or the Lion King...hmm..A Chorus Line isn't TOO bad...

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

dramagirl487
#7re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:02pm

lol A Chorus Line is REALLY bad for them. i tried with the movie.

it is QUITE hard. especially since i don't agree with their preferences at all. None of the more rugged or explicit shows bother me.

LePetiteFromage
#8re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?

D'oh! Wow, that's just... I mean it's just a musical. Well, kudos to you for not letting their views inhibit you!

My other ideas would be Curtains(I think) or Jersey Boys.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#8re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?

A Chorus Line is full of swears and adult themes.

I think Sunday is perfect.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

dramagirl487
#10re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:04pm

and i would like to do Disney like Lion King, but you can't get discounts for those yet. I think Lion King Discounts are out there. i found one that expires the day before we could go.

My top two are 1) Lion King ($$ allowing) and 2)Sunday

dramagirl487
#11re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:07pm

yeah they don't restrict me from watching it, but if i try to get them to, they always say they'd rather spend their time watching something less offensive and more enjoyable. They're not like TOTALLY opposed, but its a turn off for them and i want to find something they'd really like

Jersey Boys has a lot of Profanity i believe. My Mom is obsessed with John Lloyd Young after we met him when he came to speak at a local community college.
its one to consider...

~I appreciate EVERYONE's input.I don't know as much as I should about the shows on broadway today!~

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#12re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:10pm

Phantom is pretty safe language wise, as well.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

dramagirl487
#13re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:11pm

just out of Curiosity, how is "Curtains" as far as content? I got my theater class $35 group tickets and we're going in April. I'm hoping its high-school appropriate.

Also, how about "In the Heights"? That was one i considered for the school, but i couldn't tell how explicit the content was, and my teacher, like my parents, prefers conservative shows

LePetiteFromage
#14re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:12pm

Well, that's good. I don't care what people believe so long as they aren't intolerant of others being free to choose for themselves. So kudos to them too!

What about "The 39 Steps"?

If you really wanted to watch them squirm, I'd say "The Homecoming." re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?

#15re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?

If they can't tolerate "adult" themes, cross dressing or profanity your parents don't deserve to see a decent Broadway show. Take 'em to Branson.

If they add "Jews" to the list I think they would have ruled out every single Broadway show.
Updated On: 3/15/08 at 08:12 PM

dramagirl487
#16re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?

yeah as a general guideline, phantom was TOTALLY fine for them. they loved it.

so any show on that level would be fine.

(in fact i can't think of anything questionable in phantom)

LePetiteFromage
#17re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:14pm

I would pm george95. He's a teacher and takes his kids to lots of shows. He'd know.

dramagirl487
#18re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:14pm

JoeKV, they can "Tolerate" it, but like i said, they prefer to spend their money and time without it.

(not saying I agree, i think many shows are amazing despite the mature themes and plots. I'm a HUGE rent fan)

I disagree with what you said though. Although it doesn't bother me, broadway caters to general audiences too. there are some great shows out there

billygoatgirl300
#19re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:23pm

How about Xanadu? I know two men are dress a muses but I think its a good choice.

The towel waving reminded me of a Per?nist rally. I kept chanting "Evita!" whenever they'd pan to the crowds. - SM2

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#21re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:26pm

Why? Does he swear at random places?

LePetiteFromage
#23re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:33pm

You ever feel like you're talking to yourself? re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity? Updated On: 3/15/08 at 08:33 PM

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#24re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:34pm

If you really want to watch them freak, take them too Spring awakening.

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#25re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:34pm

If you really want to watch them freak, take them too Spring awakening.

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#26re: Which Broadway shows contain no profanity?
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:53pm

If my parents were like your parents, I wouldn't take them to see anything. Not because I don't want to risk them hearing profanity (which, no offense, I think is insane), but if they were that put off by something like swearing, they shouldn't leave the house at all.

The content, swearing, nudity is put there for a reason. It's not like we see a character shouting random swear words just for the hell of it.

There is a lot of bad **** going on in the world. Having your parents hearing profanity should be the least of your worries.