pixeltracker

Review: Last 5 Years in Connecticut

Review: Last 5 Years in Connecticut

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#1Review: Last 5 Years in Connecticut
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:36pm

As many of you may or may not know, Music Theatre of Connecticut's Mainstage program is presenting Jason Robert Brown's The Last Five Years through April 13. I had the great pleasure of attending a performance last night, and I was blown away. Kristin Huffman and Rob Sutton were absolutely stellar as the star crossed lovers of this wonderful piece. It's been a while since I was totally engrossed in every detail of a production, and I'm here to tell you: Get thee to the theatre, if you want to see some fantastic performances in a beautiful piece of theatre.

Matt Castle's musical direction was superb, keeping the pace energetic and following his leads with such excellent subtlety. He made himself (on piano) and his chellist sound like a much fuller orchestra, and that is not an easy feat.

The space is so very small, it looked as though it sat less than 50 theatre patrons, and yet the intimacy of being right there, mere inches away from the performers, was mesmerizing. I felt like I was part of the piece, connected to each of the brilliant performers by every emotion they experienced (and BOY did they pack a wollop of depth into that hour and 15 minutes of magic.)

Kristin Huffman is someone I've known primarly as a comic singing actress over the years, keeping me joyously amused and entertained. But I had no idea how rich her dramatic chops had been honed (no small thanks, I'm sure, to having worked with John Doyle in the recent revival of Company.) One minute I was clutching my sides as she sang the inner monologe of an auditioning ingenue, and the next, wiping tears from my cheeks as she faced the death of her marriage. Man, that young woman can make you feel, and isn't that what great theatre is all about?

Rob Sutton's Jamie is so well-crafted, and sung with such rich and beautiful tones, that there is not much else to say except that any person considering a career in the theatre could consider his and Kristin's performances to be a master class in the art of acting. I was lucky enough to see the original at the Minetta Lane theatre the year it premiered, and as much as I like Norbert Leo Butz, Rob sang circles around him.

Kevin Conners' direction is just right - nothing heavy handed, no weird "concepts"...just really great attention to detail and a sophisticated eye for how to move his actors with grace and authenticity in such a small space - Bravo, Mr. Conners.

Anyone who loves this show, and can get to Westport Connecticut this week, will be glad they spent the time and money.

What are you waiting for?

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

aliciag Profile Photo
aliciag
#2re: Review: Last 5 Years in Connecticut
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:40pm

I only wish I could get to Connecticut. I love this show and am so glad to hear this production was great! Thanks for the review.

FIERCEY516
#2re: Review: Last 5 Years in Connecticut
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:41pm

I will pass this along to Kevin.

We worked together many years ago and I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it!

I thought the choice to bring in Matt Castle, as Musical Director, was great.

re: Review: Last 5 Years in Connecticut

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#3re: Review: Last 5 Years in Connecticut

Thanks for your review! Sounds like you really enjoyed yourself!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#4re: Review: Last 5 Years in Connecticut

Thank you so much for posting about this. I regretfully won't be able to see it. If it had been any other two weekends in the entire year, I would have made the trip to see it without second thought, but I just can't right now. I'm glad to hear it was wonderful, though. re: Review: Last 5 Years in Connecticut

A work of art is an invitation to love.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#5re: Review: Last 5 Years in Connecticut
Posted: 4/7/08 at 9:21am

Just wanted to bump this up so that more viewers will have a chance to know about this production - I hope you all get to see it - its really amazing.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#6re: Review: Last 5 Years in Connecticut
Posted: 4/7/08 at 9:34am

Thank you! I really wish I could see this.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#7re: Review: Last 5 Years in Connecticut
Posted: 4/7/08 at 9:56am

if only metro north wasn't so expensive/a pain in the ass

amy R
#8re: Review: Last 5 Years in Connecticut
Posted: 4/7/08 at 10:19pm

I am seeing it this weekend! Can't wait!!!!