Broadway in Cincinnati

Nagrom5280 Profile Photo
Nagrom5280
#1Broadway in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/7/08 at 7:13pm

http://www.broadwayacrossamerica.com/Cincinnati

I have been a loyal supporter of the Cincinnati seasons for years past. There have been some bad years and there have been some great years. I am very disappointed in this years offerings. I heard somewhere that from a subscription perspective, Cincinnati was very high in terms of people subscribing. That enabled us to be very early in the runs of most tours. But it appears that has ended. The way tours are running now a days, by the time Avenue Q gets here, it will be non-equity. And Cirque, don't get me wrong, but I am not in Vegas. Where is Legally Blonde? Where is Spring Awakening? I am very disappointed in this year.

The Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
#2re: Broadway in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/7/08 at 7:27pm

WOW! What happened they normally get the shows first year out? I knew it was trouble when they didn't announce in March/April. Plus don't they normally do 7 show's? Now we will be a year behind in tours. Did the management change?

9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#2re: Broadway in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/7/08 at 7:38pm

Let's not forget that this is the city that hosted Company's pre-Broadway run. We will always love them for that.

Nagrom5280 Profile Photo
Nagrom5280
#3re: Broadway in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/7/08 at 7:49pm

I am not sure if management changed or what, but I am actually a tad bit embarressed for the season. I am using this strictly as an example, but in years past it would be unheard of for a show to hit Dayton before Cincinnati. On average, it would take a show an addition 2 years before in went to Dayton. This year, No Legally Blonde, but it is on the schedule for the current season with Broadway in Dayton. Shame.

The Boy From Ohio
#4re: Broadway in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/7/08 at 8:12pm

I actually live closer to Dayton (Springboro), and when they announced Legally Blonde I knew Blonde would not be in Cincy. Plus Chitty, not that it's high on my list of shows to see, it would have been better than a non-Equity tour of Oz/Grease. Hell, Ain't Misbehavin', A Bronx Tale, Happy Day's, would have been better than Oz/Grease. re: Broadway in Cincinnati

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#5re: Broadway in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/7/08 at 10:34pm

I was always told that Cincy was the "bigger market" and usually got the best tours first. Louisville is getting "Spring Awakening" and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" plus we've already had "Avenue Q." And we also have "The Color Purple" and "Wicked" (Finally!).

BroadwayBen
#6re: Broadway in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/7/08 at 10:37pm

Wow. That is a TERRIBLE season. Who did they piss off at Broadway Across America? No LEGALLY BLONDE? No SPRING AWAKENING?

masb19872
#7re: Broadway in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/7/08 at 10:42pm

I'm really surprised, too. It seems like Cinci has been looked over this year. Dayton and Cleveland seem to have the best seasons so far. At least you're getting ACL, though. I can't wait for Columbus' season to be announced on May 18th.

trixi
#8re: Broadway in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/8/08 at 2:04am

I'm really disappointed in this year's season too. Although I'm not a season subscriber, I've gone to Cincinnati several times to see shows. I can't remember a year when I didn't go down to Cincinnati at least once to see a show. This year is going to be a first for me.

The Boy From Ohio
#9re: Broadway in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/8/08 at 1:23pm

I'm also looking forward to what Columbus will announce. It does make me nervous with this late of announcement, they also usually announce in April. Hopefully between Columbus and Cincy, I can put together my own kick @ss season. Spring Awakening better be in their line-up! PLEASE...?

Craww
#10re: Broadway in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/8/08 at 1:50pm

Considering it's such a coup for Dayton to get a big show before Cincinnati, I only wish it could have been one I have any interest in seeing. I wonder if it has to do with local producers having a financial stake in Legally Blonde. Eh, don't care.

It's disappointing that Cincinnati doesn't have a better season, but...I guess my silver lining is that I get to feel less deprived if I can't afford to make the trek to go down there and see something.

masb19872
#11re: Broadway in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/8/08 at 2:38pm

Right now, I'm thinking Columbus will get Rent. No other Ohio city (that I've seen, at least) has it on their schedule, and Columbus usually gets it every 3 years. As for the other shows, I have no clue. Our seasons tend to be very hit or miss.

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#12re: Broadway in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/8/08 at 5:56pm

I think Cleveland will still get Rent as planned. It's probably just not in the official Cleveland schedule because it won't be available as part of the season tickets program (Rent usually isn't).

BroadwayBen
#13re: Broadway in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/8/08 at 6:13pm

Did Columbus get Legally Blonde and/or Spring Awakening?

masb19872
#14re: Broadway in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/8/08 at 6:46pm

Columbus isn't on any schedules that I've seen. Which is odd, we usually get at least one "big" tour, regardless of how the rest of the season is. I guess we'll find out what we're getting next week.

And that's weird. For us, I think they announce all shows at once, regardless of whether they're included in the season ticket package. I guess every city does it differently, though.:) I hope Cleveland's still getting it, I was planning todrive up there for it.
Updated On: 5/8/08 at 06:46 PM

The Boy From Ohio
#15re: Broadway in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/8/08 at 8:17pm

Columbus will announce Sun. May 18th. As for Cincy the article said they will announce the "specials" (up to six) by summer. So Rent could still be yet to come.
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080508/ENT/805080309/1025/LIFE

loveplays
#16re: Broadway in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/8/08 at 10:28pm

I think we have a terrible season next year here in Cincinnati. Are the tours of Oz/Grease non eq. When is the avenue tour going non eq. Thank god I have family up in the Cleveland area, it looks like I will be going up there. I am also glad that we are getting avenue q but I don't think it will do well here in cincy.

Videos