pixeltracker

Rent opinion question: Is Mimi a horrible person?

Rent opinion question: Is Mimi a horrible person?

EdmundOG
#1Rent opinion question: Is Mimi a horrible person?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 11:25pm

I mean, she meets a guy and learns that he used to do drugs and he wants her to quit. So what does she do? She tries to sex him up, tempting him with said drugs, and not informing him that she is HIV positive, despite her having no idea that he is.

So a couple scenes in, and she has tried to put a former junkie back on junk and give him AIDS.

So for whatever reason, probably trying to save her from herself, Roger begins dating her. She's feeling great. No drugs, going back, back to school. And a couple weeks in, she gets back on the smack, cheats on him, and leaves him. Now granted, he's got some major issues, but she suuuuure wasn't helping.

And at the end of the show, she's a homeless junkie hooker. I'm none too optimistic for her latest epiphany.

What do y'all think?
Updated On: 5/7/08 at 11:25 PM

Trekkie2
#2re: Rent opinion question: Is Mimi a horrible person?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 11:34pm

BWW opinion question: How are sock puppets able to type?

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#2re: Rent opinion question: Is Mimi a horrible person?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 11:36pm

Life opinion question: If a tree falls in a forest - and no one's around to hear it. Does it make a sound?
Updated On: 5/7/08 at 11:36 PM

george95
#3re: Rent opinion question: Is Mimi a horrible person?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 11:37pm

Mimi doesn't try and sex up Roger as you say. Their romance was mutual. He was depressed over April's suicide, and she just tried to get him out of the house, but he screamed at her to leave, and he and to apologize later on.

They found out that the other had HIV during the AZT break at the end of Act I. So its not a "couple scenes in" as you say. And she does not try to give him AIDS! Wow!

And when they start to have problems isn't until a few months in the the year, not weeks. One of the most common problems with people understandin RENT is that they don't understand how much time goes by, especially how Act II goes from New Year's Eve allllll the way to Christmas Eve.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#4re: Rent opinion question: Is Mimi a horrible person?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 11:45pm

I've always had some issues with figuring out Mimi's motivations. Sometimes, I honestly don't think she would have told Roger she had HIV before sleeping with him if he'd been totally willing from the start. Others, I think that's probably giving her too little credit.

I also am less than optimistic about Mimi and Roger's chances at the end of the show...although I suppose the point is that they're happy for the right then, because you never know what can happen tomorrow. I just have some extremely negative experiences with drug addiction and the ability of people who are severely addicted or have a lot of life stressors to stay clean in the long run.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#6re: Rent opinion question: Is Mimi a horrible person?
Posted: 5/8/08 at 9:30am

Mimi is far from horrible, she is troubled and questioning, which is why people can relate to her. In the past she has sought solace from things that turned out empty, such as drugs and sex. She is struggling at points in the musical with her choices, again which most people can relate to. In the end, RENT is about the humanity of everyone and the beauty of every soul regardless of race, sexual orientation, drug or sexual history, and HIV status. Mimi is very loveable because she is human and flawed, as we all are.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#7re: Rent opinion question: Is Mimi a horrible person?
Posted: 5/8/08 at 9:37am

It's not like she drove a dog to leap to its death for a grand or anything! THAT'S douchey!
Updated On: 5/8/08 at 09:37 AM

Videos