pixeltracker

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on 13 (Pre-Broadway Try-Out)- Page 2

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on 13 (Pre-Broadway Try-Out)

shesamarshmallow
#25re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on 13 (Pre-Broadway Try-Out)
Posted: 5/14/08 at 7:48pm

I have my tickets for the 28th - BEYOND PSYCHED.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#26re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on 13 (Pre-Broadway Try-Out)
Posted: 5/14/08 at 7:53pm

Yes, RUNAWAY by Liz Swados....i think there were some ringers in there but it was mostly kids, no adults

mauriposa
#27re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on 13 (Pre-Broadway Try-Out)
Posted: 5/20/08 at 12:37am

Thanks for this Jay. My BFF is a youth services librarian and wants to see this so badly in Sept. It sounds like she'll really like it.

thatgirl712 Profile Photo
thatgirl712
#28re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on 13 (Pre-Broadway Try-Out)
Posted: 5/20/08 at 3:47am

Great report re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on 13 (Pre-Broadway Try-Out)

If I heard the bells and the banjos ring

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#29re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on 13 (Pre-Broadway Try-Out)
Posted: 5/21/08 at 10:44pm

From your report, it sounds like many changes have been made to the show since its LA premiere.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

theatreman
#30re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on 13 (Pre-Broadway Try-Out)
Posted: 5/31/08 at 11:11am

I work at the Norma Terris Theater, and I can tell you that there have been slight changes to the opening sequence because of the diffuclty in moving the dozen or so bulky classroom tables in and out. Initially, they were replaced by bleachers (which are used later in the show) and finally it was decided that there would be no "accessories" to the set during the opening sequence. I saw the show, and I can tell you that I find the music great, and the lyrics and book witty. I don't laugh easily, but it made me laugh many times. I can also say that I attended a "Talkback" after a show with the creative team, and Jason Robert Brown indicated that he did not want the show to be either "Big" or, the film "Thirteen" (which he charachterized as implying that all 13-year olds are debaucherous). In addition, someone in the audience asked if Brown was not concerned that this show is too much like other shows about youth (he mentioned Spring Awakening) currently on Broadway? Brown replied that a) we cannot play the 'when is the best time to open' game, and b) he feels that "13" is much different from these shows. Theatreman

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#31re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on 13 (Pre-Broadway Try-Out)
Posted: 5/31/08 at 12:04pm

Did they change the title of Harry Connick's show?

PEACE.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#32re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on 13 (Pre-Broadway Try-Out)
Posted: 9/16/08 at 2:08pm

i just re-read jaystarr's review and thought i would bump it in case anyone wanted to read it before tonight's first preview.

defyinggravity42694 Profile Photo
defyinggravity42694
#33re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on 13 (Pre-Broadway Try-Out)
Posted: 9/16/08 at 4:37pm

I saw the show Saturday night on Broadway, I loved it!

Goodbye

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#34re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on 13 (Pre-Broadway Try-Out)
Posted: 9/16/08 at 8:45pm

Jaystarr.... if Michael Riedel ever quits his job ( or gets the heave-ho), you would be a great candidate to replace him. I don't know if you've ever thought of being a professional theatre critic, but you have a way with words. Just mah opinion. from RC in Austin, Texas...

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Videos