pixeltracker

Schwartz - What has worked for 35 years

Schwartz - What has worked for 35 years

martinman
#1Schwartz - What has worked for 35 years
Posted: 5/21/08 at 10:01am

His work has touched millions and millions and earned millions and millions..I bet most of us, if not all would trade careers...

Updated On: 5/21/08 at 10:01 AM

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#2re: Swartz - What has worked for 35 years
Posted: 5/21/08 at 10:06am

Who is Swartz?

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Yankeefan007
#2re: Swartz - What has worked for 35 years
Posted: 5/21/08 at 10:07am

Why would I want to trade careers with my 8th grade history teacher?

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#3re: Swartz - What has worked for 35 years
Posted: 5/21/08 at 10:10am

Schwartz? You mean the two guys who own the Mazda dealership and do those corny homemade commercials?

No thanks. I never saw myself going into the auto sales business.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

martinman
#4re: Swartz - What has worked for 35 years
Posted: 5/21/08 at 10:13am

My bad...I was in a hurry..screwed up the spelling and was trying to reply to the earlier post....I totally screwed up what I was trying to do...testing 1,2,3 is this on?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#5re: Swartz - What has worked for 35 years
Posted: 5/21/08 at 10:16am

The other thread about him has been working fine for 3.5 days.
Updated On: 5/21/08 at 10:16 AM

#6re: Swartz - What has worked for 35 years
Posted: 5/21/08 at 10:19am

IS it because Wicked is the most successful musical of the decade that people hate him so? When I was in college (so so long ago) I'd guess that Godspell & Pippin were the most popular scores with the students and I know Meadowlark was a really really hot audition tune for gals....

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#7re: Swartz - What has worked for 35 years
Posted: 5/21/08 at 10:42am

What has worked for him is that he's flown under radar, Sondheim, ALW and others flying high above him, and he's quietly written some solid, powerful, GREAT shows that people love.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#8re: Swartz - What has worked for 35 years
Posted: 5/21/08 at 10:44am

No, that can't be it...

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

WOSQ
#9re: Schwartz - What has worked for 35 years
Posted: 5/21/08 at 11:46am

Bear in mind that Schwartz had a very dry period from the late 70s into the 80s (Rags, Working) and really only until he won an Oscar for The Prince of Egypt did this fallow period begin to end. Wicked was a major Broadway comeback for him. I assume he lived off his sizable royalties from Godspell.

Stephen Schwartz alienated a lot of people that he worked with and for with his "I-am-the-boy-genius" attitude. One person who worked with him on a big failure said matter of factly and not secretively to me that they never wanted to work with him again.

He has not worked with many people twice. Producers Edgar Lansbury (brother of Angie, by the way) and Joe Beruh and bookwriter Joe Stein come to mind but that's about it.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Timmer
#10re: Schwartz - What has worked for 35 years
Posted: 5/21/08 at 2:35pm

Pippin changed the way you advertise a Broadway show.

Before Pippin, the ad was basically we hve this show, here's what the critics say, come to this theatre.

Pippin had Ben Vereen, so they "gave away" 60 seconds of the show -- 50ish, actually, fol.lowed by the name of the theatre. Now a snippet of the sow is how you do it. Even on radio.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#11re: Schwartz - What has worked for 35 years
Posted: 5/21/08 at 3:06pm

Musically he stuff is brilliant and powerful. I find him to be quite enjoyable. His work on some his lesser known pieces.. Nightingale, Rags, The Baker's Wife and Children of Eden have heartfelt and incredible melodic moments.

It is interesting however that he has made a talent for religious themed musicals and movies...

The Prince of Egypt, Godspell, Children of Eden....

Also when looking at his legacy, it is amazing how many shows he has done and some of the work he has contributed....

Godspell, Pippin, The Magic Show, The Baker's Wife, Rags, Children of Eden, Captain Louie, Pocahontas, The Prince of Egypt, Enchanted, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame are just a few of his shows....

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Videos