pixeltracker

Do you consider 'new recordings' covers of the originals?

Do you consider 'new recordings' covers of the originals?

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#1Do you consider 'new recordings' covers of the originals?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 6:09pm

I was talking with a friend today, and we got into a debate about what is considered a 'cover'. Rock and Theatre are different genres, but essentially every recording other than the original version (often the composer's for theatre) is a 'cover'. He supports that every version other than the original is a 'cover', however I view it as each new recording (i.e The Original Broadway Cast Recording vs. The New Broadway Cast Recording) are two seperate versions of the songs, and the new recording is not a cover. I'm interested in hearing the opinions of others.

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"
Updated On: 6/4/08 at 06:09 PM

into_the_woods2 Profile Photo
into_the_woods2
#2re: Do you consider 'new recordings' covers of the originals?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 7:51pm

i don't consider them covers, i place them in their own category "revivals". if a singer was to sing a song from a musical on his/her own cd recording, i would consider THAT a cover. but not full on revival cast recordings

"The good news is I have an excellent Tony speech. The bad news is I've had it for forty-five years."-Elaine Stritch

thatgirl712 Profile Photo
thatgirl712
#2re: Do you consider 'new recordings' covers of the originals?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 11:40pm

I don't consider them covers.

If I heard the bells and the banjos ring

heathurrr
#3re: Do you consider 'new recordings' covers of the originals?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 11:45pm

New recording are reworkings or reinterpretations of the originals. I don't see them as covers. Revival songs exist as their own entities.

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

Dearest, how can this be so? You were dead, you know. - Candide

Oh my god, this show has everything! Half naked guys and girl on girl action! - [title of show]

(My avatar? Why, yes! That is Laura Benanti making out with a chick!)

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#4re: Do you consider 'new recordings' covers of the originals?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 7:44am

Not at all! Do you consider revival cast members to be merely doing karaoke when they perform in their show? Of course you don't! They're performing their own takes on the roles, and the recording is a record of that. If it's a studio cast and they're obviously trying to sound like the original cast, then perhaps that could possibly be considered a cover. But most of them are still their own beasts, and it's massively disrespectful to these performers to even vaguely consider that their work could be dismissed as a "cover". XP

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#5re: Do you consider 'new recordings' covers of the originals?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 8:02am

I consider "new cast recordings" of musicals "new cast recordings."

Someone like John Mayer singing CATS IN THE CRADLE is a coverre: Do you consider 'new recordings' covers of the originals?

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS