News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for sondheimgeek

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
Member Name: sondheimgeek
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Why isn't Disney getting sued for 'High School Musical'?  Sep 16 2009, 04:11:24 PM
And to whomever told me to "accept the success of HSM because it's giving everyone in this business lots of work"--what good is making a living if you wake up every day hating your life?

Who is waking up every day and hating his/her life because of this show? Just because you despise the show doesn't mean everyone else hates it. And it can be fun to have a laugh at how awful certain shows are. I'm sure the cast and crew of the touring company have had a good laugh during the ru

re: The LCD Screen: Is this the future of set design?  Aug 10 2009, 01:51:26 PM
I have to agree with broadwayguy2. Any designer knows that as long as a design suits the concept, show, and most importantly the story, then using a certain design is every bit justified.

This of course, applies to the LED/LCD screen as a new form of design in theatre, though it's not even THAT new. A designers job above all is to tell the story, just as it is the job of the actors, directors, crew, and producers. If they have not done that, then they have not done their job. <

re: No, No, Nanette Script?  Aug 9 2009, 11:43:23 PM
I checked Samuel French but it wasn't available.

I might contact Tams-Witmark, but I have no validity for mounting a production. I'd just like to use the script for a scenic project. However, I will keep that in mind should I find a way to possibly mount a production. Thanks!

No, No, Nanette Script?  Aug 9 2009, 08:30:58 PM
I'm interested in creating a scenic design for "No, No, Nanette", but I haven't been able to find a script. Was one ever published? I'm preferably looking for the 1971 script, but I suppose any version would be suitable.

Thanks!
-sondheimgeek

re: Would this be a good Tony Award Category??  Jul 27 2009, 12:28:37 AM
Tony voters don't even manage to see every new show and revival that opens each season...can we really expect them to go see every show everytime there's a replacement?
re: 11 Tony Award categories relegated to pre-show  May 31 2009, 08:55:45 PM
"Why can't they do the design elements off-air (which would be ten categories in and of itself) and then leave the rest to be announced on the telecast?

They shouldn't do the design elements off-air, they should do them during the live telecast. Though it doesn't draw in a crowd, including all of the elements is what the Tony awards should be about. If the politics of the Tony Awards were set aside, a very meaningful awards ceremony could be had. I'd bet that designers might

re: Understudies that never had there chance in the spotlight  May 9 2009, 05:14:36 PM
Shirley MacLaine...oh, wait.
re: Why do all the ROA fans seem to think that reviews make their show Good  May 9 2009, 05:02:01 PM
Call me crazy, but reviews don't mean a damn thing to me nor any other creative team. All that matters to me is that I like the show

There is no show for you to like without a creative team.

re: Ragtime at the Kennedy Center Review  Apr 19 2009, 03:27:48 PM
I do agree with you Kev, Noll's character did have a bite. It was very interesting to see as I felt Marin played it almost the opposite: A bite with deep, underlying emotions.

re: Ragtime at the Kennedy Center Review  Apr 19 2009, 02:44:54 PM
Leigh Ann's wig is a brunette color, but it fits for the interpretation.

At first I thought both Manoel and Christiane were too young for their roles, but I was completely mistaken. Manoel's accent is wonderful and he has great chemistry with everyone onstage. I was also cautious about his singing voice, but it was stunning. He fit the part perfectly.

Christiane's voice was wonderful too, especially during "Back to Before" which I was also skeptical about. She was very beli

re: Ragtime at the Kennedy Center Review  Apr 19 2009, 02:11:22 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. I should've clarrified, Leigh Ann Larkin was wigged, but it didn't look half bad.

As for the actress who played Sarah: She was much more realistic than Audra McDonald. Though of course Audra was fantastic and my favorite Sarah, it was just the fabulous Audra playing a poor black woman. This actress was more believable, and she's very talented. I couldn't hear her at the end of "Wheels of a Dream" but I think it was a mic issue.

Ragtime at the Kennedy Center Review  Apr 19 2009, 12:09:54 PM
******There are possible spoilers in my review******

I saw the production on the invited dress rehearsal this past friday, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I should note that it is not like the original production. Certain scenes such as "Crime of the Century" have been re-imagined. I enjoyed this new interpretation of the song, but it does have a different sort of feel than the original interpretation. And surprisingly, Leigh Ann L

re: Ragtime at the Kennedy Center  Apr 19 2009, 12:04:10 PM

re: Faith In The Little Mermaid?  Apr 8 2009, 12:56:50 PM
"Now if Ursula were played by a man in drag it would work for me."

If Lee Roy Reams were in his prime I would've loved for him to do it, if only to make a hilarious evening.

re: Hair for the republican gay male  Mar 28 2009, 09:03:26 PM
Exactly Sporkgoddess, true conservatism doesn't invlove being against gay marriage.

But using the stance of a few republicans against gay marriage is a pretty good base for the liberal media to portray the whole party as believing in such.

re: Crazy Concepts of Classic Shows  Mar 10 2009, 07:15:28 PM
First, RENT's Awakening, is the second photo from a production of 'The Light in the Piazza'?

And jagfkb, It's not that I don't think your idea is creative, but I don't really feel reinterpreting 'Sweeney Todd' in a WWII setting is a good decision. I don't think we really need to relive WWII from a serial killer's point of view, and especially not from the character of Sweeney Todd. Also, the whole Nazi subplot would be distracting and distasteful, don't you think?

re: Comfort Recordings  Mar 2 2009, 12:09:32 PM
Any of Jerry Herman's recordings always cheer me up, especially 'Mame' and 'Mack & Mabel'.
re: Favorite Jerry Herman?  Feb 2 2009, 09:31:04 PM
I never have been able to settle on a favorite Jerry Herman score, and I don't think I ever will. I love them all!

If I had to choose his top three though, they'd be:
(In no particular order)
Mame, Mack and Mabel, and The Grand Tour/La Cage Aux Folles.

I cheated a little bit, but it's too hard to choose. La Cage and The Grand Tour are both so elegant and beautiful. All of his scores are, really.

re: Cast Recordings You Wish You Hadn't Bought  Jan 26 2009, 04:51:08 PM
"Runaways"

I could barely listen to it.

re: I'm listening to Wicked...  Jan 24 2009, 06:04:05 PM
I completely agree with Weez even with 'Passion' being my least favorite Sondheim score.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You