pixeltracker

In the Heights translation?- Page 3

In the Heights translation?

solitarychele Profile Photo
solitarychele
#50re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 1/21/09 at 12:53pm

This post is great. . . it is like listening to my husband, who is from Spain, and my best friend, who is from Mexico, talk about all the various accents!

And don't even get me started about how different Spain Spanish (Castellano) sounds. I was used to the various Latin American accents I hear where I'm from that when I went to Spain for the first time, I thought they were all lisping. re: In the Heights translation? In Spain, the ci and ce sounds make a th sound.. as does the letter 'z'. .. so gracias sounds like gra-the-as and a word like zuma (juice) sounds like thuma.

Jay* your explanations were wonderful! :)

SporkGoddess
#51re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 1/21/09 at 12:59pm

Cuban accents are the easiest to tell for me. I was really proud because I guessed correctly that Olga Merediz was actually Cuban.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Josh Freilich
#52re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 3:09pm

Anyway, to review: the translation for "Alabanza" is:

Alabanza a doña Claudia, señor = Praise to Miss Claudia, Lord

And the translation for the Spanish sections in Breathe are (to help jaystarr out with the word-for-word translation):

("Sigue andando el camino, etc.")
Keep walking down the road for all your life. Breathe.
And if you lose my directions, God bless you. Breathe.

("Ay, te adoro, te quiero")
Oh, I adore you, I want you.

("Mira, Nina, no me preocupo por ella.
Mira, alli esta nuestra estrella
Ella sí da la talla")
Look, Nina, I'm not worried about her.
Look, over there is our star!
She really made the grade!

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

SporkGoddess
#53re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 3:46pm

I think in this context "te quiero" is supposed to be "I love you," not "I want you."

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#54re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 4:08pm

Spork is correct. "Te quiero" is "I love you."

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

LadyDramaturg2
#55re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 4:09pm

Another Spanish Lesson:
1. No me diga- is "Dont tell me".. (diga from decir to say or to tell) me is a cognate of "me", but in spanish the direct object is placed before the verb~that's a common pitfalls/ dificulties of American Speakers learning Spanish is the "direct object"
No me diga- Don't (me) tell...
and etcetera.

Wow, Jay, if my Freshman Latin teacher hadn't been a 74-year-old nun, I'd think you were a direct descendent of hers -- WOW!