The "Let's Be Positive About the Theater" Thread- Page 2

The "Let's Be Positive About the Theater" Thread

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#25re: The 'Let's Be Positive About the Theater' Thread
Posted: 11/6/08 at 6:17pm

bump

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#26re: The 'Let's Be Positive About the Theater' Thread
Posted: 11/6/08 at 7:32pm

Wow, Esparza-- don't go getting a swollen head or anything, but I always thought you were CONSIDERABLY older than me. Turns out not so much!

What I think is really great about today's theatre is the great variety in the styles of shows. There really is something for *everyone* to enjoy on Broadway-- there's no cause for excuses like, 'oh, I hate showtunes.' Because if you listen to "In The Heights" vs. Gypsy vs. Phantom vs. Wicked vs. Avenue Q vs. Spring Awakening vs. Spamalot, there's sure to be at least one that you like, and they're so different in every way.

Also, high school theatre programs are really stepping it up. A lot of what you see really is professional quality. Youtube gives high school theatre a bad image, because the really good high school shows usually just don't post themselves on youtube. Wicked may be irritating, but it also means that scores of people are getting involved in theatre and seeing musicals as something cool and fun. This is bad for me because it means it'll be all the more competitive for me when I grow up, but it's also great because it means that theatre ain't about to die out anytime soon.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

esparza 333
#27re: The 'Let's Be Positive About the Theater' Thread
Posted: 11/6/08 at 7:34pm

Thank You For Bumping this thread.

It is amazing how theatre has evolved over the years who would have though many years ago when a musical like South Pacific won the Best Musical that over 50 yeas later A musical like Spring Awakening. It just shows that musicals changing and taking broadway an exciting roller coaster. Classic Musicals like Gypsy may be rare now but exciting shows like In the Heights are leading the way for the many more generations broadway has in store.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#28re: The 'Let's Be Positive About the Theater' Thread
Posted: 11/6/08 at 7:41pm

WICKED reached it's five year anniversary as did AVENUE Q.

CHICAGO will be celebrating 5,000 performances next week.

AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY will reach 400 performances next week.

There are currently TEN SHOWS running that have performed over 800 shows.

WICKED, THE LION KING, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, MAMMA MIA!, and CHICAGO are all some of the biggest hits in the history of Broadway.

And there are some great productions now on Broadway...seriously. AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY, GYPSY, BILLY ELLIOT...they all are major theatrical milestones.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#29re: The 'Let's Be Positive About the Theater' Thread
Posted: 11/6/08 at 7:49pm

Student rush. Really, I don't think I'd have such wonderful opportunities without it!

AndAllThatJazz22
#30re: The 'Let's Be Positive About the Theater' Thread
Posted: 4/6/09 at 5:02pm

Broadway oh Broadway!!! Everyone on this board, including myself, is so highly critical of it sometimes. As important as it is to be honest about theatre that we don't like, it's really important to stop and realize that every show is bringing a little more magic on Broadway :)

Even shows I dislike are contributing to making broadway magical.

Even flawed revivals and 'garbage' theatre. Yes, even rock of ages is bring magic to broadway.

Shows that aren't 'brilliant' are still bringing magic to broadway.

It's so true what they say, there's no place like the great white way!!

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

Videos