rOcKS @ 'The Little Mermaid'

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#1rOcKS @ 'The Little Mermaid'
Posted: 8/21/08 at 12:50pm

I finally got around to seeing THE LITTLE MERMAID last night and I have to say that for $112, I did not feel like I got my money's worth. Not even in spectacle.

The show's plot is very different from that of the movie which is odd because it seems to harp, now, on little subplots and take odd tangents off that do nothing to move the plot along. Many scenes that they took out from the movie are very much missed here as the plot of the movie was much more effective than the plot of the Broadway show.

The only really notable thing about the show is its fantastic score. Even though many of the new songs bog down the plot and are just there to entertain, they are all really memorable songs. I actually left the theater humming some of the songs, which is a rarity in theater nowadays. Also, the orchestrations are gorgeous (and deserved a Tony nomination) and make the musical aspect of the show all the more enthralling.

The book is a total and complete mess. Their attempt to stay true to the film but also create their own story is really lame. Like I said, the book seems to take too many tangents, harp on things that don't further the plot or help develop any of the characters or relationships, and in the end, the corny water-related jokes and terrible puns just make the book even more of a muddled disaster. Doug Wright is a brilliant bookwriter and playwright. I have no idea what happened here...I just don't think he was the right person to hire to write this book for a family-aimed musical. It's a pretty terrible book.

The performances are all passable with three standouts. Sierra Boggess is making a really nice Broadway debut as Ariel. She sings beautifully and even if she plays the role a bit too over-acty, there is a lot of potential busting at the seams. John Tracey Egan is hilarious as Louie (I can't believe he didn't get more recognition for stealing the show with the one scene he was in when the show opened). And Sherie Rene Scott glides through the terrible, wildly underwritten character she's been given with ease. Her voice is amazing as always. The rest of the cast is fine if underhwelming...I really also liked Brian D'Addario as Flounder...his voice is really great. Alan Mingo Jr. was on as Sebastian and was alright.

Okay...now on to the technical aspects of the show. The sets were clunky and at times nice to look at, but overall suffocated the stage and story with too much plastic and those two blown-glass-looking pillars (which I thought were pointless and kinda just distracting...and not in a good way). The costumes are nice for what they are (I mean they are technically impressive but visually jarring at first...in ways that everyone's already mentioned --Flounder is basically wearing a t-shirt, the mermaids have tails coming out of their butts, the eels costumes light up which is a gimmick that loses steam very quickly, and Sebastian's costume is gangly and just weird). The wheelies are so pointless...they hardly use them except for quick scenes where they glide by on them and then kick them back in. I just really think there could've been a better way to technically pull of this show and this is not it.

Francesca Zambello's direction is pretty high-school level. Surprisingly. The choreography is WAY underwhelming.

And this show is also missing a lot of spectacle. It's just all a bit too clunky and not really transcendant. It's really hard for me to put together my thoughts on the show and I hope this review is somewhat clear and readable. I just love the movie so much and the show has a lot of potential to be a really beautiful stage production. This is not it.

*1/2 out of ****

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#2re: rOcKS @ 'The Little Mermaid'
Posted: 8/21/08 at 12:59pm

When I saw TLM back in May I called it "expensive children's theatre". I can totally understand where you're coming from with your review. I am considering revisiting the show now that it is on broadwaybox. My sister would like to see it and her tastes are not as critical as mine. I know she'll enjoy it.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2re: rOcKS @ 'The Little Mermaid'
Posted: 8/21/08 at 1:03pm

I saw it in Denver. What I enjoyed about Sierra's performance is that she brought the cartoon Ariel to life. She just seemed to have all of the mannerisms and it was almost like seeing the cartoon Ariel onstage. (Does that make sense?) And at times, she seemed to be the only person, or one of few, doing that waving arm thing to give the impression they were under water. Just my thoughts.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 8/21/08 at 01:03 PM

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#3re: rOcKS @ 'The Little Mermaid'
Posted: 8/21/08 at 1:51pm

When I saw it, Sierra was out and Betsy Morgan was on. She did the waving arm/underwater thing and I actually found it jarring. But that was most likely because no one else did it. If everyone else did, it wouldn't have stood out as much as it did.

Eris030, I agree - it is "expensive children's theatre." Except, I think I have seen better produced children's theater. There was none of the magic I experienced in Beauty & the Beast or the Lion King. Not to mention all the changes in the second act. The book basically removed all sense of conflict there by removing the character of Vanessa. I never truly felt like Ariel struggled to win against Ursula.

Also, when Ariel sings in Act II, it confused all the little children around me. The girl in front of me was asking her dad why Ariel was singing when she was supposed to have no voice. I understand it was in her head, of course, but it is poorly executed. If a six-year-old - part of your target audience - is confused it might warrant another look. Just my ramblings thoughts...
Updated On: 8/21/08 at 01:51 PM

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#4re: rOcKS @ 'The Little Mermaid'
Posted: 8/21/08 at 1:52pm

TLM sucks.

I shelled out $125 for a crap mezzanine seat.

the only redeeming factor of that entire mess is Tituss's vocals.... f*cking brilliant.
Updated On: 8/21/08 at 01:52 PM

defyingravity23 Profile Photo
defyingravity23
#5re: rOcKS @ 'The Little Mermaid'
Posted: 8/21/08 at 1:58pm

Does anyone know why used those dumb poles to move set pieces instead of a track? It is really annoying seeing a pole sticking out of the back a set piece.

Hey Mods how about unbanning my old account (Defyingravity07). Which was supposed to be freed on August 18th here we are August 21st and it is still blocked.

Videos