some old show

dl032656 Profile Photo
dl032656
#1some old show
Posted: 9/11/08 at 11:22pm

everyday as I pass Minskoff Theater, I remember the short lived show Scarlet Pimpernel. anyone here like it?

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#2re: some old show
Posted: 9/12/08 at 6:26am

I absolutely love "Scarlet Pimpernel." I never was fortunate enough to see it live, but I have the soundtrack and libretto, and I've seen high school productions and clips in youtube. My best friend, my sister, and my brother all dressed up as characters for Halloween.

But yeah, I can't hear the word 'Minskoff' without thinking 'Pimpernel' either. I even have a ridiculously touristy picture of me and one of my friends dueling with tiny plastic cocktail swords in front of the theatre.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#2re: some old show
Posted: 9/12/08 at 7:41am

THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL was hardly a "short-lived" show running over two years (with brief interruptions for revisions during the run) and over 800 performances, including previews.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Gary Indiana
#3re: some old show
Posted: 9/12/08 at 8:56am

Scarlet Pimpernel (the first version) is my favorite musical. I saw the second version, which was also at the Minskoff, but didn't really like it, so I never saw the third version. I wish the show had just closed after the first version rather than being rewritten so many times that it became a complete joke. I think of SP everytime I pass the Minskoff too.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#4re: some old show
Posted: 9/12/08 at 9:27am

I love this show- although not as much as JEYKELL & HYDE.

INTO THE FIRE is amazing re: some old show THE CREATION OF MAN is one the most hilarious songs/scenes ever seen on Broadway IMO.

And I just adore Douglas Sills anyway.

The costumes are breathtaking.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 9/12/08 at 09:27 AM

Jon
#5re: some old show
Posted: 9/12/08 at 12:52pm

Well, you COULD say it ran two years, or you could say it had three incarnations over a period of two years - and all three versions lost money.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#6re: some old show
Posted: 9/12/08 at 1:47pm

I adore the show. The first version was my favorite. I'll never forget those beautiful Fragonard-inspired drops. It was a delight from start to finish.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#7re: some old show
Posted: 9/12/08 at 5:45pm

One thing that's so great about the SP1 cast is that Terrence Mann and Douglas Sills have such incredible voices, but such different voices. And, in equally different ways, they're both attractive men (well, I've always maintained that Terrence Mann is immeasurably creepy-looking, as much as I adore him as a performer, but he has a lot of charisma). They're both wonderful, and it's hard to compare them.

"Into The Fire" and "Falcon In The Dive" are two of my favourite songs in the world-- again, two incredibly different songs-- and it's fantastic to have them one after the other. And the show has such a mixture of comedy and tragedy, songs running the gamut in terms of style from "Creation of Man" to "Madame Guillotine" to "She Was There" to "Prayer" to "You Are My Home" to "When I Look At You" to "They Seek Him Here." The variation is the best thing about Pimpy.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

Videos