pixeltracker

Watched the first preview of "13". My points))

Watched the first preview of "13". My points))

BroadwayProducer2
#1Watched the first preview of "13". My points))
Posted: 9/21/08 at 1:01pm

I watched the first preview of the “13”.
My points:
1. The lyrics is really simple, silly and sometimes stupid. Like for example “A friend won’t smoke when she’s in your room…. A friend won’t go and start kissing your brother the minute you’re out of sight”. It was in the song “What means to be a friend”. And the much worse and sillier in other songs. I mean have you seen “Hamlet 2” in the movie theater? Do you remember the musical they produced? Well the lyrics remind me that musical because it was so silly and you laugh not because it is really funny, but because of the words in the lyrics.
2. The story and the whole action are like you are watching another episode of another kids show on Disney channel. The plot hardly can touch any person older than 15-16.
3. Kids played great and I liked the voices with some little exceptions.
4. Choreography was not good and rocked only in the first song (13) and the very last song (Brand new you). In between it was colorless and not interesting except few moments.
In my opinion you will probably like it if you are not older than 16 and if you really want to see a show with all kids (you like kids so much, lol). But it definitely doesn’t cost full and even half price tickets. In other words I felt like I watched some school production, yeah it is funny but it’s not really Broadway level and definitely doesn’t cost $60-$120 (price of Broadway ticket).
You can also watch my video review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKnKZl4sDwE
Thanks! ))

13 Broadway Review or Bad Bad News! Updated On: 9/21/08 at 01:01 PM

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#2re: Watched first preview of '13'. My points. ))
Posted: 9/21/08 at 1:06pm

Thanks for the review!

Good stuff.

defyinggravity42694 Profile Photo
defyinggravity42694
#2re: Watched first preview of '13'. My points. ))
Posted: 9/21/08 at 2:08pm

I disagree

...so do the comments on your video.

TooDarnHot, I did not say anything to you.

Goodbye

shesamarshmallow
#3re: Watched first preview of '13'. My points. ))
Posted: 9/21/08 at 2:17pm

The plot hardly can touch any person older then 15-16.

I hate when people say things like that. The plot may not have touched YOU, and YOU may be older than (THAN) 15-16. But that generalization is untrue.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

#4re: Watched first preview of '13'. My points. ))
Posted: 9/21/08 at 2:24pm

i really really enjoyed the show, and at moments i was touched ( and yes, im older than 16!). with the exception of the totally bizarre end of act one, the show has come such a long way since ive seen it in conneticut and i think is really great! when i was 12 and 13, i could never do eight shows a week. these kids are really something special. including the young pit! i think the show is appealing to all ages, its just fun. not every show has to be some deep, meaningful work of art. 13 is fluff, but thats not always a bad thing. i wish 13 the best of luck, im not sure how long itll be around, but i really enjoyed the show.

RentBoy86
#5re: Watched first preview of '13'. My points. ))
Posted: 9/21/08 at 2:26pm

How is student rush for this?

BroadwayProducer2
#6re: Watched first preview of '13'. My points. ))
Posted: 9/21/08 at 5:45pm

Thanks for responses!
I just want to add several things.
1. Of course it is only my opinion. I do not generalize. I just think (and yes, it’s only MY opinion) that the show is designed more for kids audience rather than for adults. And I didn’t say that the show is BAD and you shouldn’t watch it. But I really think it doesn’t worth $60-$120 like any other Broadway show, and a lot of kids can’t afford that price anyway.
2. If you think that the show is so great, can you name a musical on Broadway right now which is worse than this show (worse lyrics, story, e.t.c)? I can’t. I mean there are lots of shows to compare with and I don’t think that 13 will have an advantage.
3. I always read and hear such type of comments: “Oh, they are just kids, and they play like adults 8 times a week” or “yes, they are kids, they are so cute” or “I know him, her, his/her brother sister any relative or friend personally” . YES! They cute nice good kids who play 8 times a week and play and sing good! But only because they are all kids the musical doesn’t deserve to be pronounced good automatically! Or just because u know someone personally! Or just because you are a kid too who feels sympathy to other kids (just because they kids). Yes, it’s cool but it’s not an excuse for bad material and production! And just remember that behind these 13 kids stand like 130 adults (production tem, producers and so on), lol.
4. Personal thanks for shesamarshmallow, English is not my first language, and I really appreciate when people correct my mistakes! Thank you again!
5. I watched like 30 something shows on Broadway last season and I am really big fan of Broadway! And I have not only Broadway experience, before I moved to the states I watched a lot of musical (and plays) in my country and it’s my hobby and passion for already a long time. I mean that musicals are my life and I really have experience to compare. And I can’t like every single show. And I made these notices only because I want Broadway to be better and better year after year. ))
Thanks again! Feel free to comment! :)

YouTube: 13 Broadway Review or Bad Bad News! Updated On: 9/21/08 at 05:45 PM

defyinggravity42694 Profile Photo
defyinggravity42694
#7re: Watched first preview of '13'. My points. ))
Posted: 9/21/08 at 5:49pm

Two shows not as good...
In the Heights
Young Frankenstein

Goodbye

perfectliar
#8re: Watched first preview of '13'. My points. ))
Posted: 9/21/08 at 7:46pm

I'm glad someone agrees with me about the choreography.

But do you really think this has the worst lyrics on Broadway? I thought they were quite good. The only bad lyrics you mentioned were in a song where a 13-year old girl tells a 13-year old boy what she thinks the definition of a true friend is. I think those lyrics are very well done, considering their purpose.

And I agree with defyinggravity42694, Young Frankenstein has much more pedestrian lyrics. So does Wicked. And A Tale of Two Cities, occassionally.

#9re: Watched first preview of '13'. My points. ))
Posted: 9/21/08 at 10:20pm

well it is all a matter of opinion. i personally enjoyed 13 more than i enjoyed wicked. i do agree that if youre gonna see it, get rush tickets or tkts or something. its nothing to run out and spend a lot of money on right away! i didnt despise the choreography. it was...randomy and okayish but it didnt bother me really. anyways, i did really like the show! but it always comes down to opinion so everyone should try to see for themselves re: Watched first preview of '13'.  My points. ))

BroadwayProducer2
#10re: Watched first preview of '13'. My points. ))
Posted: 9/21/08 at 10:58pm

People, do you really think that “13” is better than “In the Heights” and “Wicked”??? )))))) LMAO
I can’t really explain it,
I haven’t got the words))))

YouTube: 13 Broadway Review or Bad Bad News!

chickfila
#11re: Watched first preview of '13'. My points. ))
Posted: 9/21/08 at 11:03pm

I saw this today and I was entertained. Not great and I am not a fan of kid shows which this definitely is. Most of the performers were very good with some real clunkers in the ensemble. I also found some of the dialogue cringe-inducing (priest joke, gay joke, the whole disabled thing, etc.)

I don't think this is going to last long.

BTW, I saw behind Jason Robert Brown and he signed my window card. Even if I don't like a show, I get the window card for my collection. He was very surprised he was recognized. The fact that he was taking notes through the entire show didn't make him think he was conspicuous.

tinkerscanne
#12re: Watched first preview of '13'. My points. ))
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:58pm

Right now, I have 52 tickets on hold for February 20, 2009. I am planning on taking my 8th grade Musical Theatre class. Do you think the show is good enough to last until then? I'm assuming the content is appropriate for 13 year olds?

Just wondering if I should switch my show to something more generic like Mary Poppins or Shrek. (Ugh).

shesamarshmallow
#13re: Watched first preview of '13'. My points. ))
Posted: 9/22/08 at 6:02pm

It's not about whether it's good, it's about whether people are going to come. I'd wait until October 5th (opening, and therefore reviews and the likely fate of the show) to decide.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

BroadwayProducer2
#14re: Watched first preview of '13'. My points. ))
Posted: 9/29/08 at 12:03am

Yesterday I watched 13 again.
Not because I like it, just got free ticket, lol.
So I made new review (part 2) on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioodMUva2gk
Well, have to admit they improved it a lot since first preview and now it looks much better and…faster. They got rid of the intermission as well as of 2 songs: one was in the end of the first act (“Here I come”) and second was in the beginning of the second(“Opportunity”). So now it looks faster and not boring as last time. It is definitely a good decision.
Then, last time I said that nothing touched me in the musical. Well, this time the final (almost) song “Little more homework” was performed by the whole cast so great that it really touched me so much. It was really amazing.
But other minuses are still the same. I like opening and the finale, but in the middle there is still a room for improvement.
Looks like creators targeted for both kids and adults audience. But it appeared to be too rough for kids (all these inappropriate jokes about terminal illness or different religious and so on) and too silly and boring (lyrics, book, story) for adults.
YouTube: 13 Broadway review part 2 or A little bit better, a little bit faster... a little bit))