News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for perfectliar

Member Name: perfectliar
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 09:29:29 AM

Mr. Wormwood said: "So completely shut out were: The Wiz, Harmony, Heart of Rock and Roll, How to Dance in Ohio, The Shark is Broken, The Cottage, I Need That. Anything else?"

Once Upon a One More Time

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 09:20:43 AM

Shocked that, even with 6 nominees, somehow both Ricky Ubeda and Paul Alexander Nolan missed Featured Actor in a Musical.

I'm not as surprised by these nominees, overall, as everyone else seems to be, but seeing them all next to each other, I feel like the winners will be almost impossible to predict.

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 26 2024, 12:05:05 AM

HenryTDobson said: "These reviews are actually not as terrible as I was expecting. So yay for low expectations?"

Yeah, they got some fine pull quotes that will look great blown up on billboards and on the side of the theatre.

Hell, they could probably sell more than a few seats just with the Washington Post quote that "your English teacher would hate this."

THE WIZ Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 18 2024, 12:30:17 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Wish we lived in an alternate reality where this was directed by Robert O'Hara or Camille Brown or Whitney White or George Wolfe. Even Kenny Leon (historically bad with musicals) would have been better!"

Kenny Leon has directed The Wiz several times, including the NBC live adaptation, which was well-received.

THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews  Apr 12 2024, 04:39:00 PM

rburton66 said: "An utterly soulless productionengineered for nostalgic, near-catatonicBoomers. I rewatched the movie recently, which has such raw intensity, while this is justblinding lights and bombast. Those awkward, pregnant pauses and the choppy vocalson “Pinball Wizard” will stay with me for a long while.

I sincerely hope this misses out on a Tony nom for Best Revival.
"

Saw this earlier this week and couldn't agree more. "S

THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 11 2024, 09:09:23 PM

theatretenor2 said: "For some reason, I think it's going to draw more positives than mixed, but will not be a NYT critics' pick leaving us all to wonder how Water for Elephants was."

I will never understand the ire this board had and continues to have for Water for Elephants and its positive critical reception. It's not like Green was the only person who liked it; they got only one negative review. People like it. Why does it get b

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Mar 21 2024, 08:39:45 PM

"Based on another novel that has outlived its time and now sits gathering dust on the shelves of libraries on the verge of extinction..."

This is a gross but hysterically un-self aware statement for an 85 year-old theatre critic to make.

SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE  Dec 4 2023, 11:46:21 AM

Dreamboy3 said: "Perdetti is a disappointing addition. IMHO she ruins everything she’s in, including You and The Haunting of Bly Manor."

lol

And it's Pedretti​​​​​

HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?  Nov 1 2023, 06:26:22 PM

Sammy232 said: "perfectliar said: "Sammy232 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "I have to think this’ll be critic-proof - likeA Beautiful Noise- and have a solid run."

I don't know. Beautiful noise is solidly boomer crowd age group who are known to be a solid ticket buying crowd. While Huey Lewis was popular he only really had a couple of big hits. Yes, I'm a Gen Xer, so this was my teenage music.
"

Huey

HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?  Nov 1 2023, 02:27:51 PM

Sammy232 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "I have to think this’ll be critic-proof - likeA Beautiful Noise- and have a solid run."

I don't know. Beautiful noise is solidly boomer crowd age group who are known to be a solid ticket buying crowd. While Huey Lewis was popular he only really had a couple of big hits. Yes, I'm a Gen Xer, so this was my teenage music.
"

Huey Lewis and the News had twelve Top 10 hits (and another th

OnStageBlog cryptic tweet  Sep 10 2023, 10:08:19 PM

He just loves to fire up his base of teenage girls who have never come within 30 miles of Manhattan.

SPAMALOT To Play The St James This Fall  Aug 2 2023, 09:24:26 AM

OhHiii said: "Given how the character in the artwork is illustrated, I think it's safe to say that Steve Martin isnotKing Arthur..."

I assume, based on that artwork, that James Monroe Iglehart is transferring.

Tysen & Howland’s GATSBY musical team announced  Jul 30 2023, 02:52:07 PM

Owen22 said: "Part of the problem with a Gatsby musical is Daisy, the female lead, is so vacuous as to have no inner life to musicalize..."

It's an adaptation; they can give her one.

THEATER CAMP review round up  Jul 18 2023, 10:36:10 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "DAME said: "I will wait for it to stream. Not a BP fan but I am just more picky of what I actually go see in a theater. Barbie I will see opening day."

Curious if after the reports of how well it's doing, if they're going to hold off on streaming and try to expand theaters in the coming weeks.
"

Expansion has always been the plan (see my post above, which was before it over performed at the box office this w

THEATER CAMP review round up  Jul 15 2023, 07:55:48 PM

Call_me_jorge said: "It’s only playing at one theatre in the Chicago area it’s all the way downtown, I’ll be waiting for it to hit Hulu, as is expected from a Searchlight release"

It's expanding to more theatres in the coming weeks.

Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID live-action movie musical - News & Discussion Thread  May 10 2023, 09:31:18 AM

"As good as a drag queen would have been in this, I don't think Disney was ready to put a drag performer into this expensive film, much less in the role of a villain telling a "normal" mermaid how to change her body and appearance."

lol so instead they have a white woman literally stealing a Black woman's voice

GREY HOUSE Previews  May 2 2023, 05:09:20 PM

uncageg said: "I would say if you are sitting on the far right (Or even left) you will miss seeing down the stairs to the basement. From house right mezz

I could only see the bottom of the stairs that go up from the mezz, house right row C seat 12.

All that said, it didn't take away from the show or make me feel I missed anything.

Click H

GREY HOUSE Previews  May 2 2023, 07:52:12 AM

Has anyone won the lottery for this? If so, how were the seats? I know this theatre has some really, REALLY bad sightlines, so just wondering if they're pawning off some of the seats where you can't see 90% of the stage for that or if those are reserved for rush.

Golden Theatre Test Event set to begin July 25  Apr 23 2023, 10:00:08 AM

two ladies tickets said: "The Shark Is Broken is the next show going into The Golden. It's a comedy about the making of the movie Jaws."

Is this different from the musical Bruce?

Stage Adaptation of  Apr 17 2023, 08:58:52 AM

verywellthensigh said: "Network, Elling, Festen, The Graduate, Misery, A Time To Kill, Dead Poets Society...New York theater and American theater in general doesn't really go for straight play adaptations of products that most people know from film."

Network got great reviews and recouped, so I'm not sure why that's on this list.The only other success I could think of is The 39 Steps.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You