Jon
#25re: Overtly Political Musicals
Posted: 10/7/08 at 3:50pm

Do you REALLY think that's what the extremely left wing Theodore Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss, had in mind?

Do you also think the movie "Juno" is right wing anti-abortion propaganda?
Updated On: 10/7/08 at 03:50 PM

SporkGoddess
#26re: Overtly Political Musicals
Posted: 10/7/08 at 4:45pm

Dr. Seuss's left wing isn't really the same as our left wing, but I don't know anything about his views on abortion.

Kiss of the Spiderwoman is set (most likely) in the Argentine Dirty War.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#27re: Overtly Political Musicals
Posted: 10/7/08 at 5:36pm

Amanda Smith: And then, also, the anti-abortion lobby in the United States has used a line from Horton Hears a Who, the line that says, ‘A person’s a person, no matter how small.’ Would that have been in accord with Seuss’s intended meaning?

Philip Nel: Absolutely not. In fact, during his lifetime Seuss threatened to sue an anti-abortion group unless they took that off their stationery and they did take it off their stationery but it’s still used. I’ve still seen propaganda in recent years from pro-life groups that have adopted Horton’s line, ‘A person’s a person, no matter how small.’ It’s one of the ways in which Seuss has been misappropriated. He would not agree with that.

What Dr. Seuss Really Thought About His "Pro-Life" Theme

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#28re: Overtly Political Musicals
Posted: 10/7/08 at 5:57pm

How about "Camelot" or "Rex?"

Different kind of politics, I suppose...........

maddiem
#29re: Overtly Political Musicals
Posted: 10/7/08 at 8:04pm

Evita..