pixeltracker

Follies 1987 London Production (and general Follies thread =] )- Page 10

Follies 1987 London Production (and general Follies thread =] )

TheOnlyOne2
#225Follies: discovering it later
Posted: 3/14/23 at 1:42am

Dare I say... it's time for a Revival? I wanna see the legendary girls battle it out for parts! Real casting that fits the shows original idea which is casting women who were stars, and still need to be given their flowers! 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#226Follies: discovering it later
Posted: 3/14/23 at 4:00am

There was a ten year gap between the last two revivals so I’d say we’re overdue for a new one.

AEA AGMA SM
#227Follies: discovering it later
Posted: 3/14/23 at 9:52am

EricMontreal22 said: "A few years back I finally got to read the script of the London Follies while watching a fuzzy video. As others have said in this OLD thread (that I'm sure I contributed to years back) the actual book was almost a complete rewrite really--it was not like the revisions made (and that Sondheim and Goldman never talked about) to productions starting with the 1998 Paper Mill to "soften" it and make the party more literal (revisions that with the death of Widow Goldman seem finally now to be reversing) although I do think some of those really change the tone of the piece.

One BIG change for London was the way the ghosts of the four leads interacted with their present versions--including eventually talking directly to them. Indeed it seems like Loveland in London was almost a lesson to the present versions (who are there watching the ghosts perform the now separate You're Gonna Love Tomorrow and Love Will See Us Through and then kinda get compelled to do their, partially new, songs) which is also why after Ben's Make the Most of Your Music (which isn't remotely a breakdown song) the mature versions re-sing those songs in a way that shows they've "come to terms" with their past and decisions. Again, completely different from the post Loveland sequences even in the revised 98- on version (with Sally's suicidal attitude pretty much gone, the addition of a scene with Carlotta and the others leaving the party and cracking wise--were they just hanging around while these characters imagined or performed Loveland?--etc. That scene WAS retained for the National Theatre but at least was placed *before* Loveland, and the final scene restored all the dialogue from the 1971 book.)
"

I didn’t realize that Bobby Goldman had passed. I was the operations manager for the company that ran the bar at the Westside during Curvy Widow, so I saw her a lot. She was… interesting. She rarely missed a performance and was hell bent on making sure everyone in the lobby knew who she was. It actually became a bit of a problem if they had something going on in the downstairs theatre as she would get oddly offended, and sometimes downright rude, at the patrons who were not there to see her show. 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#228Follies: discovering it later
Posted: 3/14/23 at 10:59am

Who would be in your (realistic) dream cast for said new revival? Curious what Follies fanatics think. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.