pixeltracker

Which show's closing is most dissapointing?- Page 3

Which show's closing is most dissapointing?

Malice Profile Photo
Malice
#50re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 11/9/08 at 6:36pm

Xanadu by far, I wish the producers could have held out through the holidays someway until the originals contracts were up.

A close second will be Hairspray the movie version just does not hold a candle, that is the musical movie version.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#51re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 11/9/08 at 9:40pm

Xanadu, hands down. It's sad because it never really took off like it should have. One of the funniest and best shows I've seen on Broadway, and it didn't even strike gold at the Tonys. At least Spring Awakening has 8 Tonys to its name and Hairspray has 8 Tonys AND a movie. Xanadu never got the attention it deserved. I guess it can say that it got the rave reviews no one thought it would get.

~Steven

Select a Member Name Profile Photo
Select a Member Name
#52re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 11/9/08 at 9:44pm

Although I know it was pretty much expected, [title of show], and Spring Awakening too.

"You have two kinds of shows on Broadway – revivals and the same kind of musicals over and over again, all spectacles. You get your tickets for The Lion King a year in advance, and essentially a family... pass on to their children the idea that that's what the theater is – a spectacular musical you see once a year, a stage version of a movie. It has nothing to do with theater at all. It has to do with seeing what is familiar.... I don't think the theatre will die per se, but it's never going to be what it was.... It's a tourist attraction." Stephen Sondheim

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#53re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 11/9/08 at 11:20pm

Xanadu...mainly because I didn't get to see it.

I'm a little sad to see Hairspray go, but it had a really good run.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#54re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 11/10/08 at 8:38am

Hairspray, definitely.

But let's be happy that it at least had a nice, long, and healthy run and found extreme success. Audiences who saw it loved it. Kudos to the Hairspray casts and crews for sustaining people's interest in the show for 6 years. Same thing with Spamalot, even though it didn't run as long.

I thought Beauty & the Beast's closing was disappointed to, and the reason they closed it had more to do with Disney wanting the Little Mermaid to open in the Lunt, which is sad, because the Little Mermaid is no where as good as Beauty was.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 11/10/08 at 08:38 AM