News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for HeyMrMusic

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
Member Name: HeyMrMusic
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  May 3 2024, 03:45:36 PM

I can’t see Eddie winning, especially being a previous winner with two presumed frontrunners still waiting for their first win. I’ve got my fingers crossed for Brian d’Arcy James, who is on his fifth nomination without a win, but this is most likely going to Jonathan Groff for a lauded performance in the more-liked show among these three. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Dorian Harewood win for a subtle yet heartbreaking performance.

77th Tony Awards Performance Predictions  Apr 30 2024, 08:41:21 PM

I imagine Illinoise will do “Chicago” as it’s the most famous song from the album.

Best Group of Best Musical Nominees  Apr 30 2024, 08:15:39 PM

2005 immediately popped into my head, but looking back, 1976 is a really great crop. I’d throw in 1957 (My Fair LadyBells Are RingingCandideThe Most Happy Fella) and 2002 (Thoroughly Modern MillieMamma Mia!Sweet Smell of SuccessUrinetown).

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 10:21:40 AM

One thing's for sure about orchestrations: They do love when you can see the musicians.

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 09:51:02 AM

Days of Wine and Roses missing in Book and Orchestrations is a headscratcher. Suffs and The Notebook missing in Orchestrations also. Maybe we need to get more experts in orchestration on the nominating committee.

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 09:13:35 AM

Omg Ricky Ubeda snub

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 08:58:33 AM

Also sad Days of Wine and Roses didn't get in for Best Musical. I hope Actor and Actress are between the couples from DOWAR and The Notebook. Justice for BDJ!

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 08:49:48 AM

We've already seen a tie in Leading Actress in a Play, given that we have 5 nominees. I wonder if we'll see that in other categories.

It looks like they've nominated a bunch of pairs already (Ryan/Schreiber, O'Hara/James, Rankin/Redmayne, Plunkett/Harewood). Maybe we will see Amber Iman since they didn't shut out Lempicka?

Drama Desk Nominations ‘24  Apr 29 2024, 01:12:22 PM

I know the Drama Desks do their own thing (and shows like Suffs, Merrily, and Here Lies Love were eligible for categories in other years), but for reference, here is the overlap of who is eligible tomorrow:

Musical
Illinoise
The Outsiders

Play
Jaja’s African Hair Braiding
Mother Play
Stereophonic

Revival of a M

Drama Desk Nominations ‘24  Apr 29 2024, 01:06:31 PM

The Distinctive Baritone said: "This year, maybe the Tonys should do what the Pulitzer Prizes sometimes do for theDrama categoryand just not give a Best Musical award, lol."

They've tried this in the past for categories like Book of a Musical, and public outcry pressured them into including the category after the initial nominations.

Drama Desk Nominations ‘24  Apr 29 2024, 12:35:59 PM

I hope this is a slam dunk for Jaja's African Hair Braiding in the Wig and Hair category. Wish they could share in a costume nomination at the Tonys since the hair was integral to the storytelling and also quite magical to have pulled off in full view of the audience.

Drama Desk Nominations ‘24  Apr 29 2024, 12:23:34 PM

MemorableUserName said: "Also noteworthy that they put Ubeda in Lead and Plunkett and Harewood in Featured, unlike the Tonys. Theseseemto make more sense IMO."

I know the Drama Desks do whatever they want, but these placements do make more sense. Still hoping to see all three tomorrow morning.

Thrilled for (the probably little-seen) Lizard Boy for getting some big nominations in Musical, Music, and Book. I'm happy these awards get to hig

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 29 2024, 11:53:09 AM

I don't think anyone is arguing whether or not Here Lies Love has a book/structure. However, the official opening night credits don't include a bookwriter, and the Tony eligibility rulings didn't clarify that the show is eligible for Best Book (they've made more obvious clarifications like Des McAnuff being eligible for directing Tommy and Joseph Joubert being eligible for The Wiz's orchestrations).

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 29 2024, 02:00:45 AM

The nominating committee does have a Tony Nominating Meeting. They are allowed to have a two-hour discussion about candidates in all categories but are supposedly not allowed to informally discuss how voting will go. They then submit secret ballots in all categories.

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 28 2024, 11:31:23 PM

I think an Elizabeth A. Davis-like nomination could go to Ricky Ubeda’s Illinoise castmate (and fellow SYTYCD winner) Gaby Diaz. If she and Ben Cook get nominated, Illinoise could be the one to beat.

farewell Kimmy!  Apr 28 2024, 08:44:49 PM

I was there today, my first time seeing the show since last May. It was so nice to be there and bid farewell to a show that everyone in the audience loved just as much. I’m surprised everyone kept it together as much as they did, but once Bonnie broke during her reprise of “This Time,” everyone knew the end was nigh and you could hear audible crying throughout the rest of the show. “Great Adventure” is just about the perfect song for a show to go out on with

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 25 2024, 09:54:14 PM

I’m not sure it’s eligible since there’s no credited bookwriter and the Tony eligibility meeting didn’t specify anything about the book, meaning it will go by opening night credits.

ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24  Apr 24 2024, 11:58:54 PM

The score is orchestrated by Timo Andres, a renowned (non-theatre) composer and musician in his own right. He did not work on the original album. The orchestrations definitely capture the spirit of the album, but they’re certainly tailored and arranged for this specific instrumental and vocal ensemble and for the dances. It’s sort of like asking how much of Mamma Mia! or On Your Feet is reorchestrated from the original recordings; th

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies  Apr 23 2024, 12:07:16 AM

I was also there tonight and had a great time. Probably had a stupid grin on my face for most of it and I was uncontrollably bopping along. Easily the most fun to be had all season.

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 22 2024, 02:00:38 PM

If Illinoise is so beloved, though, and if there’s no consensus among voters, it can still pull ahead. It’s a show that could easily tour, and if marketed well, it could draw a lot of fans of the album and of dance to the show. It’s a show that is competitive in several categories, including choreography, lighting and sound design, and orchestrations. I can see this getting just as many if not more nominations than other top contenders. I think there was a

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You