News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for HeyMrMusic

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
Member Name: HeyMrMusic
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Olympics on my mind: Showtunes that could be theme songs at the 2024 Games
 Jul 23 2024, 02:21:34 PM

“This Is the Moment”

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadway
 Jul 13 2024, 12:56:52 PM

Broadway Flash said: "Well I was talking to one of the great viola players of broadway the other day, and he said they want even strings now to play multiple instruments. "

It’s not atypical for musicians to double on violin and viola. In the past, bass and tuba used to be a pretty common double. Jason Robert Brown makes his string players double on percussion and celeste in The Last Five Years, and that was over 20 years ago. Doubling is not a new occ

Why did High Fidelity Flop?
 Jul 2 2024, 09:26:38 PM

This show made me a big fan of Anna Louizos, who was nominated for the incredible set.

I remember laughing so hard during “Conflict Resolution.”

Theater Quiz for June 2024: Politics, Prizes and Pride
 Jul 1 2024, 02:04:49 PM

The incredible hair and wig design warranted it.

100/110, just got the bonus wrong.

BroadwayWorld Announces Summer Madness Bracket - Best Musical: Losers Edition
 Jun 26 2024, 09:28:49 PM

I would think we would collectively rally behind She Loves Me, but here we are.

Jimmy Awards tonight 6/24 at the Minskoff
 Jun 25 2024, 11:38:50 AM

Every regional awards handles its nominees differently, but from what I’ve personally observed, they do treat the selection process as educational experiences. I’ve heard similar things about the Jimmys. What we don’t see is the week leading up to the awards, the rehearsals and master classes and coaching sessions that everyone has the opportunity to participate in. While the awards themselves are hyped up in a way, I don’t think we’ve seen many cookie-cutte

Titanic at City Center
 Jun 22 2024, 12:11:22 AM

I saw this tonight. I think this might have been my favorite Encores production. It fits the criteria of Encores shows of the past: revisiting a hard-to-produce musical or a flawed show with a fantastic score, and presenting it concert-style with the best singers and musicians in NYC. I honestly have nothing bad to say about the whole evening. The direction was some of the best I’ve seen at Encores; it felt like a staged concert without aspirations of a full production, u

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 21 2024, 12:01:21 PM

lovett1979 said: "HeyMrMusic said: "The orchestra sounded wonderful, even when the poor violinists had to play at the extreme top of their range in Kate Baldwin’s very high key of“Losing My Mind.” It was a highlight to hear the original orchestrations live.

She actually performed a whole step LOWER than Barbara Cook did at the 1985 concert.
"

I may be misremembering, but I don’t recall the violins being transposed that

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 21 2024, 11:23:32 AM

It’s interesting, I did not hear those inconsistencies in the orchestra from the balcony. The balcony is better for acoustics in that sense, forgiving all of those flubs because the sound rings around us without the cut of an overhang. I did not notice the orchestra being off from the singers.

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 21 2024, 12:57:59 AM

The orchestra sounded wonderful, even when the poor violinists had to play at the extreme top of their range in Kate Baldwin’s very high key of “Losing My Mind.” It was a highlight to hear the original orchestrations live.

Carnegie Hall’s acoustics aren’t made for anything requiring amplification, so it was hard to hear clearly in the balcony. Even the simple host banter or the announcements of who sang what was difficult to understand. If someone did

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL to close on June 23
 Jun 18 2024, 10:44:14 AM

Not unexpected, but still sad. It was a highlight of the season for me. I imagine this will do well regionally, on tour, in schools; it’s just too bad it couldn’t catch on during a busy Tony season on Broadway.

Go see this if you can!

The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
 Jun 17 2024, 01:00:13 AM

What does BDJ have to do to win a Tony? Someone write him another vehicle!

Jun 17 2024, 12:38:24 AM

I think Mayer was expected to win for directing the hit of the season, but Darko’s win foreshadowed Gentleman’s Guide’s dark-horse win for Best Musical. (Ironically, Linda Cho also won the costume design category that year.)

Jun 17 2024, 12:21:30 AM

There’s no denying Jonathan Tunick is a master and one of the greatest orchestrators ever. Should he have multiple Tonys if the orchestration category was established before 1997? Yes. This award feels a bit like John Williams continually being nominated for rehashing his own themes for the latest sequel in one of the franchises he composes for. Obviously, the original work was great, and it’s still good, but it’s mainly just an updated draft with a few new things added. Thi

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 11:33:36 PM

DramaTeach said: "I’m so confused. There was a pre-tape a couple of days ago with two supposedly huge broadway stars. What happened to that? Did they mean Rannells and Gad? Was their shtick pre-recorded?"

I figured it was the Jay-Z and Alicia Keys performance. Why else wouldn’t they bring Jay-Z out on stage?

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 09:51:59 PM

TheGingerBreadMan said: "People are gonna come for me over this, and you're all entitled to feel how you feel, but I just don't see Illinoise as a musical at all and I don't agree with it being nominated for Best Musical. It's a ballet that happens to have live singers. It's an absolutely beautiful show, and their performance has 10000% been the best of the night so far, and I think it's something that everyone should see. But calling it a musical is a huge st

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 09:31:03 PM

Shocked that Illinoise performed that instead of something like “Chicago,” but this was my favorite moment in the entire show. This feels akin to when Once performed “Gold” instead of “Falling Slowly.” Anyway, I thought that was so affecting. 

Jun 16 2024, 06:46:30 PM

I’ll say it: Timo was robbed. 

What Tony Upset Are You Hoping For?
 Jun 12 2024, 06:32:24 PM

Illinoise for Best Musical

Whitney White for Best Direction of a Play

Brian d’Arcy James

Kelli or Maryann

I don’t know who’s favored to win, but if Illinoise wins Orchestrations, I’ll be fine with any other outcome in any category.

ILLINOISE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
 May 22 2024, 01:50:57 PM

Gorgeous. Stunning arrangements and performances by the singers and band. This one will be on repeat for sure.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You