Legit baritone roles?

beltingbaritone Profile Photo
beltingbaritone
#1Legit baritone roles?
Posted: 1/8/09 at 3:35pm

As my name says, I would cosider myself a "belter" (I use the term loosely because I'm not to sure if that boys). But I'm looking for a roles for a high baritone that are require a more legit sound. I'm not just looking for individual songs, but of course you could list some of the big songs the character sings. Thanks!

Edit- Oh yes! Younger roles only please! No Don Quixote. Legit baritone roles?

Men don't even belt.
Updated On: 1/8/09 at 03:35 PM

singer73192 Profile Photo
singer73192
#2re: Legit baritone roles?
Posted: 1/8/09 at 4:50pm

It's tough most younger roles are tenors. I know this isn't young but I think anyone can pull it off no matter what their age is. "Stars" is good from Les Mis and "Javert's Suicide." I'll keep on thinking...

beltingbaritone
#2re: Legit baritone roles?
Posted: 1/8/09 at 9:02pm

That's okay. Yeah, its so subjective. I can sing a lot of tenor roles, and there are some older roles I fit into. In reality I'm a younger, high baritone, but I possibly could play eventually. It works. =)

Men don't even belt.

#3re: Legit baritone roles?
Posted: 1/9/09 at 4:50am

Check out Stop the world I want to get off and Roar of the greasepaint, smell of the crowd. Also Camelot.

WOSQ
#4re: Legit baritone roles?
Posted: 1/9/09 at 11:18am

Just about any role that the following played:

John Raitt
Alfred Drake
Richard Kiley
Brent Barrett
Larry Kert
John Cullum
Robert Goulet

Keep in mind that these guys originated any number of roles, but also played other roles as replacements, on tour or in revival.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

dg22894
#5re: Legit baritone roles?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 3:25pm

http://www.stageagent.com/ has a part finder.

beltingbaritone
#6re: Legit baritone roles?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 3:37pm

I've used stageagent before, and its horribly inaccurate. =( Roger in Rent is definitely not a baritone; his tessitura is very high. And Sarah Brown Eyes is a mezzo at least in Ragtime, not an alto. It would be a great resource if they had editors.

Men don't even belt.

blondebaby589 Profile Photo
blondebaby589
#7re: Legit baritone roles?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 4:15pm

I agree, stageagent's classifications are horrendous. Try to use it sparingly.

www.tinydancer5.tumblr.com

dg22894
#8re: Legit baritone roles?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 11:02pm

Well stage agent is a good site to know and at least a couple will be accurate. I usually use it to figure out if I got a lead or a supporting.

tis_be_sarah Profile Photo
tis_be_sarah
#9re: Legit baritone roles?
Posted: 1/19/09 at 11:01am

Don Lockwood- Singin' in the rain.

Im in that show right now. But its not put on alot because its a hell of a hard show to put on.

A million hearts beat quicker there, a million lights they flicker there. No clouds of grey on that great white way, thats the Broadway Melody!

beltingbaritone
#10re: Legit baritone roles?
Posted: 1/19/09 at 1:10pm

Just to add to my own list, Prince Charming in Cinderalla? Ten Minutes Ago, Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful?

Thanks guys! Keep 'em coming!

Men don't even belt.

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#11re: Legit baritone roles?
Posted: 1/19/09 at 10:08pm

"Dancing Alone" from "I Sing" is essentially everything you just asked for.

Necromancer07707 Profile Photo
Necromancer07707
#12re: Legit baritone roles?
Posted: 1/29/09 at 1:33am

Some of the name spellings are questionable...

Cinderella's Prince/Wolf in Into the Woods
Rochester in Jane Eyre
Chauvelin in Scarlet Pimpernel
Wheeler in Do Re Mi
Lancelot Camelot
Although frequently cast as a tenor, Anthony in Sweeney Todd
Cliff in Cabaret
Beast in Beauty and the Beast
Robert Baker in Wonderful Town
Czolgoz in Assassins
Ruteledge in 1776

Also roles in pretty much any musical revue.

"I am ready to disclaim my opinion, even of yesterday, even of 10 minutes ago, because all opinions are relative. One lives in a field of influences, one is influenced by everyone one meets, everything is an exchange of influences, all opinions are derivative. Once you deal a new deck of cards, you've got a new deck of cards." — Peter Brook

BariTenor1018
#13re: Legit baritone roles?
Posted: 4/9/13 at 10:31am

I would consider either Mark or Collins in Rent to be baritone roles. They do have high points in the show, but for the most part their tessituras lie rather low. If you have both that very low rich baritone and the ability to belt rather high (which is indeed a term used for male singing as well as female), you could show off your entire range in the reprise of I'll Cover You. Collins starts out pretty low (I'm not sure of an exact pitch) and is then belting Gs or As by the very end.