Nosebleeds Onstage?

Shannon Bo Dannon Profile Photo
Shannon Bo Dannon
#25re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/30/09 at 5:16pm

Good luck Schmerg! It sounds like you're in the perfect play to have a nosebleed in haha! I'm sure you'll be fine.

Let us know how it goes!

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#26re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/30/09 at 5:17pm

I get bloody noses all the time at random...and it is like your case where it my nose bleeds like turning on a faucet. One time I was doing Show Boat right before I went out for the opening number my nose starting pouring out blood so I made little tissue balls and shoved them up my nose so the audience couldnt see them...and I put alot obviously to stop this "faucet". It seemed to do the trick. I also have worried that one day it will happen in the middle of a scene or song!

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#27re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/30/09 at 5:46pm

Going to the theatre now! Hopefully, things'll go well. My mommy gave me some chicken soup and chocolate cake. re: Nosebleeds Onstage?

TheatreBoy777, yikes! I will definitely try the tissue balls (and vaseline/chapstick). Sounding a little stuffy would probably be great for my character anyway.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

eatlasagna
#28re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/30/09 at 6:06pm

aren't tampons supposed to help with nosebleeds?? they did it in SHE'S THE MAN and apparently they work

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#29re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/30/09 at 6:12pm

Yep - tampons work. I had surgery on my nose years ago and the night after the surgery they came and pulled these things out of my nose. I couldn't believe it!

You really should check these out with a doctor. Nose bleeds can be signs of some serious health problems - like seriously high blood pressure.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

KathyGriffinLovesYou Profile Photo
KathyGriffinLovesYou
#30re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/30/09 at 6:39pm

So high they're coming out you nose??

kate2
#31re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/30/09 at 8:54pm

Tampons definitely work. After my roommate accidentally punched me in the nose I just stuck a tampon up my nose and that controlled the bleeding... no bloody tissues necessary!

dg22894
#32re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/30/09 at 9:19pm

Break a Leg

Madcap Maisie Profile Photo
Madcap Maisie
#33re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/30/09 at 10:03pm

So did you gush or not Schmergie?

"You know what really makes me mad? When girls think they can sing just because they are on the Disney Channel."

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#34re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/30/09 at 10:11pm

When I saw Seussical Horton ran off stage right after he got told to go sit on the eggs and we could hear him throwing up from offstage. Then Mayzie came out and sat on the eggs. I totally had never seen the show and thought it was part of the show.

You could tell he was physically sick throughout Act 2.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#35re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/30/09 at 10:25pm

I am back... TOTALLY nosebleed free! I was so relieved! But thank you for helping me feel a lot better about this.
However, another lead was so sick, she couldn't make it, so some random girl was given a script and filled in. THAT was interesting.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

Madcap Maisie Profile Photo
Madcap Maisie
#36re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/30/09 at 10:27pm

ugh. That happened to me when I was directed an original One Act. My lead couldnt make it, so my Assist. Director had to step in at the last minute. So glad to hear it went well. I'm sure you rocked it!!!

"You know what really makes me mad? When girls think they can sing just because they are on the Disney Channel."

wizard2joe
#37re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/30/09 at 10:27pm

dis maybe random but i only had two nosebleeds in my life soo far.
the first time was when i was my brother threw a shoe at my face and it started to bleed and another time was when i scratched my nose and i guess i cut my inside of my nose.
i think its because i have a stuffed nose all my life since i was born
i have to get surgery to get it fixed or it can get fixed naturally.
they said that i have somthing wrong with my nose.
not really sure
i probaly do get more bloody noses but it just clogs in there

wizard2joe
#38re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/30/09 at 10:29pm

one more thing wont u sneeze if u put tissue
or cotton in ur nose

LiTtLeDaNcEr729 Profile Photo
LiTtLeDaNcEr729
#39re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/30/09 at 11:24pm

When I did Millie- our Muzzy got a bloody nose right before "Only in New York." The local critic was there...here is the article that was in the Sarasota Herald Tribune a few days later:

Monday, August 14, 2006, 10:46 am

By Jay Handelman

Quick change

You just never know what’s going to happen with live theater.

Quick thinking and decision-making were important Saturday night at the Golden Apple Dinner Theatre late in the first act of “Thoroughly Modern Millie.”

Actress D____ H____, who plays nightclub singer Muzzy, stepped on stage in her white gown and white boa to sing “Only in New York,” but she was stopped after only a few notes by a persistent bloody nose.

H____ tried to continue, but finally had to walk off stage. The lights dimmed and the audience sat in the dark for a few minutes before an announcement was made that there would be an early intermission. The staff figured that H____ would be fine in a few more minutes.

But apparently she wasn’t. K____ P____ took over the part, with a script in hand, and sang Muzzy’s song and did some key dialogue scenes with other characters.
P____ continued in the dialogue part of the role, but an elaborate second-act dance number that features Muzzy was cut because it was too complicated, cast members said.

P____ got a huge roar after her first song and during the curtain calls from both the audience and fellow cast members.

H____ is fine and was back in the show on Sunday.

One of those experiences where a cast really came together.
(I removed the names, obviously)

TBD2
#40re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/31/09 at 12:05am

Schmerg: get those things checked out! My son had a similar problem (not quite gushing, but during rehearsals) and the Dr. ended up cauterizing the capillaries in his nose. Voila! No more bleeding nose! And you only have to put up with the smell of burning flesh for a little while. Just kidding, they use some kind of super-glue now (kids, DON'T try this at home).

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#41re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/31/09 at 3:06pm

I was just talking to my mom about how glad I was that I hadn't had a nosebleed during last night's show... and then I started having a massive nosebleed mid-sentence! Ugh, that's irony. Anyways...

LiTtLeDaNcEr729, that sounds like a horrible thing to happen onstage! Good for K_P_, though, and good for the audience about being good sports throughout the performance! I cringed when I read that her dress was white, though-- did it get all bloody?

TBD2, I told this to my dad, and he said he had the same thing done when he was a kid. I wonder if these things are hereditary?

Updated On: 1/31/09 at 03:06 PM

LiTtLeDaNcEr729 Profile Photo
LiTtLeDaNcEr729
#42re: Nosebleeds Onstage?
Posted: 1/31/09 at 4:19pm

Schmerg- it didn't get bloody, actually.
It was a dinner theatre- she grabbed a towel from the kitchen (ew?) and saved her dress. Hah. I was impressed.