pixeltracker

"Gold" from Wildhorn's Camille Claudel

"Gold" from Wildhorn's Camille Claudel

Bwaybaby109
#1"Gold" from Wildhorn's Camille Claudel
Posted: 3/4/09 at 8:46pm

Hello thespians!

I'm singing the beautiful song "Gold" from the Linda Eder Broadway My Way for an audition and I need to know a thorough plot and story to the musical. I've researched on many websites but still can't find a specific synopsis for the show. I do know she is a sculptor who had an affair with her mentor and realized they couldn't love each other because they were "competition" But thats all the info I can find. I just want to know why Camille sings the Gold, what is the moment before the song. I want to know the exact meaning behind the lyrics to help with my acting prep. If anyone can help me I would be forever grateful! Thank you so much!

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#2re: 'Gold' from Wildhorn's Camille Claudel
Posted: 3/4/09 at 9:05pm

For the record, Camille is easily one of my favourite shows (and obviously favourite non-highly produced)

*Spoiler*-esque

Camille's life was tragic (although the musical's writers would not want you to call it that!); Rodin had "used" her somewhat, taken some credit from her, no one believed in her...Camille's father (one of the only people who steadily cared for her and helped her) dies near the end of the show, and although I don't remember if it's clear or not, Paul Claudel (her brother) & mother put her in an insane asylum. No one visited her (minus Paul a few times) in over 20 years I believe. The song is supposed to be the reflection on her life.

EDIT: The moment directly before it is when Paul tells her of her fate... Further background into the story: The doctor's said Camille was fine several times, but her mother insisted she be stuck in there. Actually, I think Paul stated he would take her out as soon as their mother passed, but she outlived Camille or he never did anything. There's a movie in French out there - I've only seen bits & pieces but several pieces are picked up. If you're familiar with The Scarlet Pimpernel, Nan + Frank's other musical, they freely took things from the 1982 movie (never saw the 1934ish one) and used them as well -- such as the opening for that, so I assume if you really want to know Camille's struggles you can watch that as well.

In short, she lived a miserable life (All: family, financially, artistically, love, religious, etc.), but she realizes at the end that she wouldn't have been able to "break all the rules" she did to get her hands on the "gold" without her struggles. (Freely quoting from the creators!)
Updated On: 3/4/09 at 09:05 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2re: 'Gold' from Wildhorn's Camille Claudel
Posted: 3/4/09 at 10:21pm

You're singing Wildhorn for an audition??? Don't get me wrong, I love Wildhorn, but I'd never sing one of his songs for an audition. The panel usually doesn't take you seriously.

Bwaybaby109
#3re: 'Gold' from Wildhorn's Camille Claudel
Posted: 3/4/09 at 10:27pm

Wow that is very tragic. I will def try and find the movie but all your info was most helpful. Thank you SO much for the info on the song. It really helps for me to understand her character now. Thanks again.

Yes I know it's Wildhorn...but no one EVER does this song! It's one thing if I did Someone Like You, but I would never sing that. This one is hardly ever done for an audition for some reason. I've asked everyone, even profesional theatre directors from the past if they had heard of this song and most of them did not know of it. So I'm not too worried about but if it doesn't work out, I will know next time.

rockfenris2005
#4re: 'Gold' from Wildhorn's Camille Claudel
Posted: 3/5/09 at 2:08am

I'd love to sing this song live.

EDIT: Do YOU think there's any chance "Camille" will happen again one day? It's such a shame because I thought the score was so beautiful.

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific
Updated On: 3/5/09 at 02:08 AM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#5re: 'Gold' from Wildhorn's Camille Claudel
Posted: 3/5/09 at 10:06am

Don't get me wrong, I love Wildhorn, but I'd never sing one of his songs for an audition. The panel usually doesn't take you seriously.

It depends on the song and the panel (and the show for which one is auditioning). Some panels can be a little more open-minded and objective and if someone were to come in and give a beautiful rendition of When I Look at You, the panel could find it glorious. I've seen it happen.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 3/5/09 at 10:06 AM

Bwaybaby109
#6re: 'Gold' from Wildhorn's Camille Claudel
Posted: 3/5/09 at 11:27am

Mister Matt, thank you, that is exactly how I feel when choosing audition pieces. And this is for a cattle call, so it's not like Im auditioning for a specific show. Thanks.

EDIT: My best friend was told to never sing "Anthem" for an audition. He did it anyway. He blew all the casting directors out of the water and he got a TON of call backs and has had amazing jobs since then. It goes to show that it can pay off when you follow your own instinct.

Updated On: 3/5/09 at 11:27 AM

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#7re: 'Gold' from Wildhorn's Camille Claudel
Posted: 3/5/09 at 6:28pm

Unfortunately, I highly doubt Camille will be seeing hte light of day in a MAJOR production. Wildhorn & Nan tried to get it produced abroad, but seems like they like a well-known story (which is probably why Jekyll & HYDE, Dracula, the musical, Rudolf (to them), etc. have gotten longer runs). But then again, of all the Wildhorn shows in production, I probably would have never guessed Wonderland was up next (partially because the project has been so secretive for a Wildhorn one). Camille's author Nan Knighton has said that there were two possible REGIONAL theatres (which who knows.. could mean anything like the Walnut St. here in Philly or your typical down the street theatre..!) and potentially one abroad. If you've heard the entire score, you'll understand that the role of Camille may be even harder than EVITA and Jane Eyre, with probably more stagetime than those two. The score was undoubtably meant to show off Linda's pipes...and since Linda has no intention to return to Broadway right now (or I'm assuming working with Frank), the only other "well-known" possibilities that might be able to pull it off: Kate Shindle or Lyn Liechty (German Lucy & Mina in Jekyll & HYDE and Dracula, das musical), although I'm sure there's others. Brandi Burkhardt was also attached to the project (albeit briefly), but I don't think she, nor her voice, are "fierce" or "harsh" even to do it. Her version of 'Gold' in on THAT site. I certainly hope it does though!

denise2
#8re: 'Gold' from Wildhorn's Camille Claudel
Posted: 3/6/09 at 1:53pm

"Gold" comes from the fact that Rodin always told people that he showed Camille where to find the gold, but the gold she found was truly her own.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#9re: 'Gold' from Wildhorn's Camille Claudel
Posted: 3/6/09 at 5:46pm

re: 'Gold' from Wildhorn's Camille Claudel

Denise is correct as well...that's how the whole "gold" concept came from, as seen in the artwork for the show.

You can browse through Nan + Frank's sites if you want more info,
http://www.camilleclaudel.com/

Nan has much more info than Frank, also with pictures.

Videos