a career in musical theatre

musicow
#1a career in musical theatre
Posted: 5/3/09 at 4:26pm

Anyone else notice the spring influx of graduates from university musical theatre programs, now in NYC auditioning for musical theatre employment? How do they stay afloat? Where do they live? With the limited employment availability in the professional musical theatre, I assume restaurants and retail outlets are having a field day hiring the college educated singers and dancers, with a BFA degree. I'm sure hundreds of recent graduates are asking the value of their degree, as well as their readiness to compete in the professional marketplace!
I wish them all well, but unfortunatley ..............

Updated On: 5/3/09 at 04:26 PM

jake6970
#2re: a career in musical theatre
Posted: 5/3/09 at 4:31pm

Most of them already have agents from their senior showcases and are probably busy auditioning. They usually end up doing fine.

JazzSquare55
#2re: a career in musical theatre
Posted: 5/3/09 at 4:31pm

Broadway, professional dance, and professional acting are hurting ...

but the number of applicants and students for Music Theatre (and Theatre, in general) programs & degrees in College have actually steadily increased every year. this year is the highest average for the "major" programs.

local/community theatre companies & non-profit theatre organizations are hurting as well...

but the majority of independent performing arts schools and centers (very vauge) are either seeing absolutely no changes OR even an increased spike, in tuition and students, for some places.

I have been studying the trend and numbers for the past few months -- extremely difficult to explain why this is becoming the normality, now.

I guess you COULD say that many intelligent, creative, and bright people are seeing that the state of theatre is fairly damaged right now; thus making it a wonderful breeding ground for restructuring and reinnovation. it is vulnerable and people want to help make a change.

Many are becoming more involved in theatre management because they believe they can make a financial and social change within the operation of theatre and Broadway. It can only get better from here, it seems..

That might help explain it?
Updated On: 5/3/09 at 04:31 PM

bwaylvsong
#3re: a career in musical theatre
Posted: 5/3/09 at 4:35pm

^Because everyone assumes that the recession will be over by the time they graduate.

JazzSquare55
#4re: a career in musical theatre
Posted: 5/3/09 at 4:37pm

According to Obama, that's the plan.

Not that I believe a single word that man says anymore.. Pfftt.

bwaylvsong
#5re: a career in musical theatre
Posted: 5/3/09 at 4:39pm

Which is why I wrote "assumes," because as much as I like Obama, I don't trust any big-time politicians to keep their promises.

siny
#6re: a career in musical theatre
Posted: 5/3/09 at 4:44pm

I don't think Obama ever promised that the recession will end by the specific date. It will end....eventually.

bwaylvsong
#7re: a career in musical theatre
Posted: 5/3/09 at 4:52pm

That's true, but "experts" are speculating it to be over in '11 or '12 based on whatever it is that Obama promised (I haven't been following it too closely, so I don't know).

JazzSquare55
#8re: a career in musical theatre
Posted: 5/3/09 at 4:57pm

siny - he "hopes to have it solved by 2012" .... I didn't use the word "promised" , that was bwayluv.

Videos