News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!

Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#1Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/6/15 at 4:24pm

Jackie Hoffman is starring in Transport Groups off broadway revival of Once Upon a Mattress in November of this year!
NY Times Article

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#2Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/6/15 at 5:52pm

Yay!!

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#2Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/6/15 at 6:28pm

Aww, that’s fun. What a neat choice for Transport Group. Lots of theater folks strongly dislike this show, but I’ve always thought it was good, charming fun, perfect for a cast of strong character actors, with a handful of really terrific songs.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#3Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/6/15 at 7:26pm

Who dislikes this show?? It's a fun show with a delightful and clever score.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Emmaloucbway
#4Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/6/15 at 8:10pm

This is great news! I saw the reading they did two years ago and it was so much fun. Can't wait to see her in this show again!

themysteriousgrowl
#5Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/7/15 at 9:26am

"Who dislikes this show?? It's a fun show with a delightful and clever score."

Lots of people! I dunno. I've seen it excoriated here, and friends of mine are quick to disparage it, too. But it was the first real musical I was in, in high school, so perhaps I have a sentimental inclination towards forgiving its flaws.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#6Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/7/15 at 9:37am

I actually think the terrible revival in the 90s still skews people's views. For some reason, sirius broadway always plays that version and SJP cannot compare to Burnett in any way.

The musical is charming, if done well.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

mbruth Profile Photo
mbruth
#7Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/7/15 at 9:40am

I love Jackie Hoffman, but isn't she way too old for this role?

themysteriousgrowl
#8Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/7/15 at 9:44am

Her age is certainly unconventional for the role. Tracey Ullman was 46 when she did the movie in 2005, and it struck me as odd. I don't think it adds anything especially interesting to have a middle-aged actress play Winifred, but Jackie Hoffman, like Ullman, is an inventive actress, so I can't really complain about it.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/7/15 at 9:45am

I think it works better with an older Fred and Dauntless. Adds to the desperation of everyone involved. They've waited a LOOOOONG time to get it on.

It is a great musical? Not in the slightest, but it is adorable and a delightful way to spend an evening. (I've directed it twice in the last 20+ years.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#10Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/7/15 at 9:52am

I like the show very much, particularly with an adept clown as Fred (unlike that amazingly unfunny revival with Sarah Jessica Parker, which had nothing in its favor, that I can recall).

Hoffman will be delightfully funny in it, no doubt; she doesn't belt, however, which may prevent her songs from landing as satisfyingly as one might like. But who knows? Maybe strong clarion high notes on these songs aren't as important as I think...

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#11Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/7/15 at 9:58am

A strong belt certainly helps land the jokes in "Shy".

I also think that an older Fred/Dauntless works fine, especially in contrast to the younger couple.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Amanda DeLalla Profile Photo
Amanda DeLalla
#12Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/7/15 at 11:24am

I agree that an older Fred and Dauntless can make it very funny through the "waiting a LONG time to get it on." Haha!

I wonder who'll fill the rest of the roles? Perhaps Alexandra Silber as Lady Larken? Will be following this.

Updated On: 1/7/15 at 11:24 AM

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#13Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/7/15 at 11:27am

^^^^^

Sorry, this was me on my other account. Not sure how that happened.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

FindingNamo
#14Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/7/15 at 11:29am

Over a dozen posts and no mention of Lypsinka co-starring?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#15Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/7/15 at 11:36am

I've never seen Epperson actually speak as Lypsinka. Lypsinka's shows are brilliant, though.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

LindaSmyth
#16Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/7/15 at 12:29pm

Jackie is going to be WONDERFUL. But I can't stop thinking that Rachel Bay Jones would be an amazing Winifred too!

RCohen2299 Profile Photo
RCohen2299
#17Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/7/15 at 3:29pm

So she's leaving On the Town??

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#18Jackie Hoffman in Once Upon A Mattress!
Posted: 1/8/15 at 12:40pm

This production starts in November. She would have been with On the Town for approximately a year, provided it's still open.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Videos