News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

La Cage Aux Folles

WilliamT Profile Photo
WilliamT
#0La Cage Aux Folles
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:36pm

I heard there were issues between Gary Beach and his original co-star (the butler from The Nanny) in the La Cage Aux Folles revival. Can anyone give me a recap of what happened?

Also, why did it close? Small audiences? It's such a great piece that deserves the light of day! (shameless plug: come to Mpls and see the current production running there!)

La Cage Aux Folles @ Minneapolis Musical Theatre

ahimsa Profile Photo
ahimsa
#1re: La Cage Aux Folles
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:11pm

I really think the revival was meant to be Gary Beach's turn for a Tony. The casting of Daniel Davis was a good idea. But Daniel, I believe, had different ideas about the show and its characters. Rather than being all about Za Za, Daniel's strong characterization made him more of the vocal point in the show. The chemistry between the two of them went far south. Daniel ended up earning a bit of a bad reputation behind the scenes because of the discord. He abruptly "left" the show.

Afterwards, they casted Robert Goulet to bring in the older show goers. It worked for awhile, and there was even talk of it going on the road. I think it was filling 65% of the Marquee with strong discounting.

It was quite interesting to see both productions and witness how the roles canterlevered. I really liked Daniel's showman of showmen interpretation. Later, it was amazing to experience just how much Gary Beach had grown into the role. I'm so glad I went a second time. It was great paying homage to Mr. Goulet, and troubling to see him steady himself on stage props throughout the show. How he got through the soft shoe number is beyond me. His voice was pleasing, but to me, his line delivery was profunctory. I don't think he ever "got it".

Gavin Creel, from what I understand was a complete sweetie throughout it all. I must say, his vocals improved immensely too. It was fun to go back and see that his hair was grown out.

I will say that if you really enjoy Broadway, when there is a casting change, go again.

Updated On: 6/13/06 at 01:11 PM

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#2re: La Cage Aux Folles
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:28pm

I was disappointed in La Cage. I saw it toward the end of Daniel Davis' run. I had very high hopes for Gary Beach's take on 'I Am What I Am', but it didn't live up to my expectations. Costumes were outstanding and the Tony was well-deserved.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

AJ--Law Profile Photo
AJ--Law
#3re: La Cage Aux Folles
Posted: 6/13/06 at 5:19pm

Loved La Cage and love Gary Beach!

William T--coming to see the Mpls. production Thursday night, I'm excited!

Videos