News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for rgdave

Member Name: rgdave
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre
 Apr 2 2016, 08:55:47 PM

jolly1 said: "You guys have convinced me. Anyone know the odds of it being on TDF soon?

Doubt you'll see it on TDF or even at TKTS. This looks to be shaping up to be one of those crazy hot tickets. I tried using the Broadwaybox and Theatermania discount codes online last week and bombed out as not available for my selected date. (2st's website is very clumsy, and you have to search each date individually --- I gave up after trying two weeks out.) I went by the box

Obama at Hamilton
 Jul 16 2015, 06:49:36 PM

"I was in the audue certainly with the Clintons, just last year. The show started a little late and intermission was a little longer, but no other differences.

Of course, I'm sure it's different with a sitting President, but they won't expect the audience.certainly to get there sooner than usual."

There will be a few things that will be different. The street will be blocked off at both ends, no vehicle traffic. The secret service

Bridges of Madison County Previews
 Jan 24 2014, 08:03:12 AM
Saw it last night. I liked it, actually more than I expected. I thought the music was 'nice' and moves the story along well. But there just aren't any showstoppers, and only one song in the second act that gets a strong audience reaction.

My issues with it were more technical. I was sitting in the 4th row, left orchestra (2nd seat in.) I was hyper aware of the amplification. The sound just belted from the speakers at the left side of the stage. Bud was mic'd too loud, and overshadowed t

IF/THEN Musical WITH SPOILERS
 Nov 10 2013, 06:07:34 PM
Adam, that probably explains why I got a little confused in the second act --- using blue during some "Liz" scenes. And you're right, the hospital scene is tough to get because 1) it's very fast paced and 2) because they use green light, we don't have the benefit of the red/blue cues.
 Nov 10 2013, 05:49:51 PM
In the pit.
 Nov 10 2013, 09:36:24 AM
Saw this Sat. night (11/9). Great seat, 5th row center orch. House was full. I was REALLY glad that I read this thread before seeing the show. I agree with most posters that the first act is very, very confusing. Even knowing the basic structure, and the red/blue light scheme for Liz/Beth, it's hard to sort out. There are quite a few "WTF" moments.

I ended up in a discussion at intermission with about 9 or 10 other audience members. A lot of back and forth about what was going on. One c

IF/THEN opening in DC tonight.
 Nov 5 2013, 07:59:43 PM
Have tix for Saturday night. Very excited about this one.
Anyone seeing Matilda soon?
 Mar 4 2013, 06:19:20 PM
Seeing it tonight. Really lucked out. I kept checking through the Broadway box discount link this morning for single seats ... scattered seats were showing up all morning. When the aisle seat, second row left mezzanine showed up, I grabbed it. For $89. It's about my favorite place to see a musical in the Shubert. I'm WAAAAY excited.
Tough call between Virginia Wolf and Golden Boy
 Nov 16 2012, 05:28:50 PM
I was blown away by both "Virginia Wolf" and "Golden Boy". An out of town friend in for one night asked me what he should see, and I trouble making a recommendation between the two of these. Virginia Wolf is an actors' tour de force, with two brilliant performances as George and Martha. Golden Boy, in contrast, has great performances, but is a director's tour de force. Bartlett Sher's direction is stunning. In the end, though, I tipped to "Virginia Wolf" because it's such an iconic play, and thi
I have GREAT TDF Luck - and love the ticket fees
 Nov 16 2012, 05:10:35 PM
Yes, you can get modest discounts with Broadwaybox, et. al, and you'll know your seats when you book. But, in my experience, the available discount inventory is usually side/rear orchestra or 3rd row or further back in the mezzanine, seldom prime center orchestra. So you may know where you're sitting, but it will likely be right orchestra row R, 8 or 10 seats off the aisle. (The exception is booking day before or day of, when some box offices release any still available prime orchestra seats for
Thoughts on Modern Terrorism
 Sep 27 2012, 12:37:48 AM
I had a comp tik for this tonight, and almost didn't go because of the general trashing on this board. But I went, and had a good time. I enjoyed it, and laughed a lot. Lighten up, folks, it's a satire. It's not "Detroit". It has some great humor and comic elements, and the audience was laughing pretty hard at a lot of it. There also weren't any noticeable intermission walkouts that I saw ... and I looked. It's going to be really interesting to see how this one is reviewed. But all in all it was
Where have TDF seats been for Seminar?
 Nov 8 2011, 01:30:55 PM
Last night (Mon 11/7), we ended up in roe F of the rear mezz, second to the last row. Mezz was full except for that last row. The sound was fine. My companion and I even commented on how well we could hear from way up there.
Absolutely appalling behavior at Seminar tonight...
 Nov 8 2011, 12:56:54 PM
Great thread. What seems to be touching a nerve here is the lack of awareness by producers and theater staff of what might be distracting or intrusive to their preview customers, and not taking steps to minimize those distractions as much as they can. I often attend previews, and over the last few years have noticed a proliferation of notebooks and iPads, when in the past they would have used pen and paper. I understand that sound and light people may need their software in front of them to fine
PEOPLE IN THE PICTURE first preview
 Apr 13 2011, 10:51:04 PM
Just dreadful. Saw it (or, more accurately, half of it, since we left at intermission) tonight, 4/13. I didn't think that anything this season could bump 'Spider Man' from it's esteemed position at the top of my 'Worst Musical of the Year' list, but 'People in the Picture' is my new top pick for dreadful. The songs, for the most part, sounded all the same. The lighting was dark. The orchestra, split between two boxes, seemed like an afterthought. And I didn't care about the characters at all. Ma
Why are seats for full-price tickets months in advance so bad?
 Apr 7 2011, 12:25:37 AM
A pet peeve of mine, too. Theater ticketing in NY, as it relates to customer satisfaction, is stuck in the dark ages. Theaters could take a cue from the airlines. Every day the airlines manage seating on thousands of flights, moving their best paying or most loyal customers to better seats in business or first class. The technology exists to do it on Broadway, too. Frankly, I find very little inventive to book way ahead. Time and time again, I've gotten better seats within a few days of a perfor
Book of Mormon Discounts
 Mar 11 2011, 06:40:39 PM
No problem with the website. Book of Mormon is selling out. The first date available for single seats, regular priced, is Mar. 25th (I just checked), and March 29th for a pair. There are premium priced seats available before that. If the premiums don't sell, the box office will release them into general inventory starting a couple of days out, but unlikely, given the sell out, they'll release them as discount inventory. So you'll likely have to pay full price. You should check Telecharge every d
Book of Mormom selling well already?
 Mar 8 2011, 05:17:34 PM
It looks like it's started selling REALLY well. I have tix for tonight, bought with Broadwaybox discount at the box office about a month ago (aisle pair, row L, $69.) But today I went to look for seats for a friend coming to NY, and the first performance with a regular priced pair (not premium, not discount) was March 29th. Nothing else before then, any section, except premiums.
Book of Mormom selling well already?
 Mar 4 2011, 08:06:33 PM
mmFan, the discount sites like Broadwaybox generally don't have discounts that far out. The discounts on new Broadway shows are generally for the few weeks of previews and possibly the first few weeks of the run, but seldom for more 6 or 7 weeks total for a new show. (The exception, of course, being Spiderman, which has never ending previews that may continue on until the second coming without ever a formal opening.) When you want to lock in your trip a few months out, particularly for new shows
compliementary ticket services? anyone a member?
 Feb 26 2011, 09:46:48 PM
I currently belong to Theatermania Gold and Theaterexttras, and was previously a member of Audience Extras. Never been a member of Play By Play.

All 4 services are very serious about members not disclosing what they see on comps, so I'm not to post a list of "what I've seen for free", and I doubt you'll find members posting that elsewhere. But I'm happy to share my general thoughts.

The services are great an adjunct to your core theater going. I go to the theater once or twice

GOOD PEOPLE (First Preview)
 Feb 10 2011, 12:10:37 AM
Saw the second preview tonight (2/9). Wasn't as bowled over as the other commenters. It was an enjoyable night at the theater, but I didn't leave the theater thinking I had just seen THE new play of the year. IMHO, it felt more like a staged television drama than 'Rabbit Hole'. Good acting, but I'm not seeing where the raves for Estelle Parsons are coming from. She's quite good in her part, but her part is really quite small.

My different experience, though, may be quite related to whe

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You