News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Gavin Rehfeldt

Gavin Rehfeldt Profile Photo
Member Name: Gavin Rehfeldt
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah5gE1epETY
Blog Address:
Profile: Took me all day, I'll say it was worth the time. I lie.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The Addams Family Review - 1/2/10 - Rachel De Benedet U/S Morticia
 Jan 6 2010, 03:23:46 PM
“The difficulty is that people will bring their own sense of the cartoons, plus the TV shows, plus the movies, to the musical, and those sensibilities will differ,” Mr. Feiffer said. “What the producers should not do is water down the family to some lowest common denominator of behavior in hopes that the biggest audience possible will relate to the musical. In doing so, you would lose what’s special about Addams.”

PRECISELY

At other points the humor involves gags, and some of t

NEXT TO NORMAL Sets New Record
 Jan 6 2010, 02:02:05 PM
In economic terms every show that isn't produced by Disney, Geffen, or Really Useful is a "little show that could," but why is this worth arguing? Why must this label be placed on any show at all? Fer cry eye...
 Jan 5 2010, 06:54:05 PM
Including the Addams Family snaps and then a deconstruction of the theme into an orchestral piece doesn't help to shake the TV show from your head. I don't disagree with including it though.

The issue is not that it's not enough like the TV show--the issue is it is not enough like the Addams, or Charles Addams' humor. The Beinekes come off as the big weirdos, and the Addams are oddly imposed by them. (Gomez is even apologetic about the family at one point if I recall. huh?) It shou

'Via Galactica' anecdote with Julie Newmar
 Jan 5 2010, 06:39:31 PM
The Cooper Union concert version brings out the Human Comedy sound of Via Galactica's finer moments. When I first started listening to the first song I thought it sounded terrible, especially in contrast to the full Broadway sound from the live tape I have. After a while it really grew on me and now I freaking love the Cooper version. Some of the female singers are amazing. Plus, it's nice to hear Galt talk during the introduction and the break. He should write another theater score and esche
PROMISES, PROMISES marquee being put up today
 Jan 5 2010, 06:22:14 PM
I'm all through with promises!

Pretty excited about this. I think Kristin and Sean are more than capable actors to carry this off! Sean has remarkable range from everything I've seen. I thought he was straight from all those Frito ads from way back.

Jan 4 2010, 03:26:39 PM
Less ancestor activity all around would help the show immensely. How was the rush experience? Thinking about running down there by myself and catching a cheap show during the week maybe....
 Jan 4 2010, 03:18:39 PM
I would definitely believe that, PalJoey. I've been researching the Broadway flops of the 60s and 70s, and this was just something I thought was amusing but took it with a grain of salt its basis in truth.

I wonder if Julie Newmar was actually connected with VG, tho?

I love the Up! Uris trivia as well. I've talked about that when discussing marketing tactics because those scenarios pop up somewhat frequently.

tellybox: There was a 2002 concert revival at Cooper Unio

re: Harry Potter the Musical!!!!!!
 Jan 4 2010, 03:24:21 AM
So fun! Just watched the first two videos and this is amazing!
 Jan 4 2010, 02:56:26 AM
I understand what you're saying but I find it disappointing that this is the context they decided to put an Addams Family musical in. If this is how they aimed to do it, by making it a self-aware pseudo-parody, then they should have just made it a plotless "revue" piece much like You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown.

Fester projecting to the audience is fine. Anyone in a musical talking to the audience is generally fine, it is encouraged especially if they have something they don't want

re: Shows where the Broadway orchestra is asked in their parts to 'shout ou
 Jan 4 2010, 02:42:31 AM
Not exactly on point, but let us not forget "vocal minorities." In the written orchestrations for Company and Promises, Promises there are extensive sections for a chorus of singers to be included along with the instruments. I was in the vocal minority for Company once. You can hear the minority faintly, but clearly, in some parts of the 1970 cast album.
 Jan 4 2010, 12:59:06 AM
Just came across this and thought it was amusing. Who knew Julie Newmar was slated to be in Via Galactica?
 Jan 4 2010, 12:26:23 AM
Why are the current topical references such a heavy part of carrying the humor of this show? It seems so disrespectful to the source material to have the Addams talk about Tiger Woods and texting.

I hate that pandering kind of writing. There wasn't enough rich humor to be derived from the Addams being outside the cultural mainstream and having a skewed macabre sensibility?? I don't get it and the rest of the show is not good enough to make up for such low-ball writing. (yes, at le

Blood Red Roses
 Jan 4 2010, 12:17:41 AM
"A play with songs about the comedy of war." The poster has a nutcracker/soldier on it with blood dripping from his heart. =/
re: CD Releases From Talkin' Bway Site
 Jan 2 2010, 08:31:17 PM
Any other reissues coming down the pike?

I want mah Donnybrook!

re: The Addams Family Musical Review - 12.28.09
 Dec 29 2009, 05:33:25 PM
This is all good to hear. I may check it out again before it leaves if I can get discount tix.
re: Go see Flahooley!
 Dec 29 2009, 05:30:43 PM
I'm so jealous!
re: Is Night Music an acquired taste?
 Dec 28 2009, 03:36:25 PM
Night Music might be his most accessible score, actually. Lovely waltzes, and group choral sings sounding very much like traditional European music. If the orchestration is right it should sound positively sumptuous from the first moment all perfumey, and lilting.

Sunday... I could see being an acquired taste to someone unfamiliar with Sondheim.

re: Judy Kuhn and Larry Kert sing TONIGHT
 Dec 28 2009, 03:25:13 PM
Aw, they're like Rags "war buddies" here.
re: CARRIE Reading?
 Dec 28 2009, 03:23:15 PM
I found a Misery musical theater piece (I didn't see it referred to as an opera, but I haven't heard it yet, so..) recently and am intrigued.

Comic books fans cover such a broad spectrum right now it is hard to gauge. Some know about the SM musical, but many don't want to know anything beyond Green Lantern: Blackest Night at the moment. They might lift an eyebrow if someone mentioned the Branagh Thor film, but after many poorly executed comic to film adaptations the typical comic b

re: Addams Family Merchandise??
 Dec 28 2009, 03:13:27 PM
I purchased the magnet set. It's pretty nice.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You