News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Cosmic Explorer

Cosmic Explorer Profile Photo
Member Name: Cosmic Explorer
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Spiderman Preview Thread!
 Nov 29 2010, 01:19:23 PM
The major issue is that the show (book and score, but mostly book) are schizophrenic, unfocused, and completely lacking in pathos. On top of that there is no momentum (and I don't mean physical momentum being stopped b/c of the tech issues). It's just confusing and messy.

I won't say that it Taymor's vision is ill-conceived, but I do think that her vision (i.e. trying to mythologize the character of Spider Man and turn his struggle into an epic of Greek proportions) is incompatible wit

Nov 28 2010, 10:58:45 PM
ok, I have no idea what I just witnessed. It was a total incoherent mess. taymor seems to have gotten so caught up in the symbolism and fx that she forgot to include a story. innovative at times, but soulless always. I'll write more later but now i need a drink to clear my head.
 Nov 28 2010, 09:05:16 PM
at the show now. So far the music is awful and im a u2 fan.
stunts are cool, but once the novelty wears off they arent enough to compensate for muddled story and bad music. sets and projections are very busy.
where you sit makes all the difference. I mean ALL the difference.

Annie Leibovitz Photographs Spider-Man
 Nov 15 2010, 02:01:16 PM
So because I think those pics look ugly (and I really do) that makes me stupid?

I would say that the stupid ones are those who assume anyone with a different opinion has some desire to "slam stuff".

I have no inclination to denigrate this show. I know very little about it, but since this is a thread about "photos" in a major publication I would imagine that everyone is entitled to their point of view.

Annie Leibovitz Photographs Spider-Man
 Nov 15 2010, 12:14:26 PM
Those are really ugly. This show looks absolutely ridiculous.

How many villians are in this anyway? At least 3 so far.

On the Twentieth Century
 Nov 13 2010, 03:10:43 PM
The show needs a director who understands screwball comedy. It needs to move fast.

I think Michael Blakemore would be a good choice.

His best work has always been comedy/farce (Noises Off, City Of Angels, Kiss Me Kate, Blithe Spirit).

On the Twentieth Century
 Nov 13 2010, 12:50:11 PM
The score is pure musical comedy perfection. I love it too.

Hugh Jackman wouldn't have been my first choice for Oscar, but he could be great.

Now cast Megan Mullally as Lily Garland and Andrea Martin as Letitia Primrose!

Wish cast recording do you wish bk (Kritzerland) could get his hands on?
 Nov 12 2010, 04:07:57 PM
Oh yes, that's a great song too!

And "I Came To Tan" also.

The only song I don't really care for is the one Roland the DJ sings.

I so wish I could have seen Gary Beach play Duke. I bet he was hilarious.

As far as what's been mentioned (of the ones that have ever actually been on CD), I think the sound quality of The Robber Bridegroom is the worst.

Nov 12 2010, 08:22:42 AM
Double

Nov 12 2010, 08:21:24 AM
I can't believe someone mentioned Preppies. I love that score. A lot of fun. Haven't heard it in years.

Dooonesbury also has some great songs (Another Memorable Meal, Complicated Man, Just A House).

WOMEN ON THE VERGE cast recording?
 Nov 11 2010, 07:53:57 AM
The score fell right between Full Monty (didn't like) and DRS (loved) for me.
I do think that with repeat listens I will really end up adoring it though.

Model Behavior was instantly fantastic, but Invisible needs a few more listens for me to appreciate fully.

The only song I really didn't care for at all was Microphone. Think I'll "uncheck" that one on my playlist when I put it on my ipod.

I assume Sh-k-boom will be releasing this? Anyone know?

Butz, Tveit, Butler & Wopat Set for CATCH ME IF YOU CAN; Cast Announced
 Nov 11 2010, 07:50:05 AM
I love "Goodbye" and David Campbell's verison is flat out great.

I hope this show is as good as we all expect. After WOTV I'm a little nervous about having inflated expecations.

Btw, while I love most of the casting I'm not a fan of Wopat. What he did to "Epiphany" was criminal.

I Finally Saw 'The Addams Family' and...
 Nov 8 2010, 06:45:35 PM
Saw it this past weekend. I enjoyed myself and actually really enjoyed the music (though the lyrics were mediocre). Thought the cast was excellent and full of energy, but given either not enough or the wrong material to work with.

A more detailed breakdown of my opinions:

I agree that Wednesday's character is all wrong, and since the show's plot revolves around her there is a fundamental problem with the conceptualization of this material.

I like Lippa's music in gener

Throne of Blood
 Nov 8 2010, 05:08:05 PM
I want to see this so badly.

How amazing would it be if they turned "Ran" into a stage production?

It's still the most inventive reworking of King Lear I have ever seen.

WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
 Oct 11 2010, 07:56:28 AM
I must say that the majority of reviews on here while negative have not been all that mean spirited or sensational.

The nastiest posts in this thread are from the people who haven't seen the show attacking the opinions of those who have.

I didn't open the thread until after I saw the show for myself, so I wasn't influenced by anyone, but when I did open it the first 2 people who posted substantial reviews (the poster with all the falsetto names and Michael Bennett) were pre

Should I get the Broadway recording of Chess?
 Oct 10 2010, 04:11:36 PM
The only reason I would recommend the OBC is for Someone Else's Story. But since that's on the concert version I wouldn't call the OBC essential.

Judy Kuhn is divine though.

WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
 Oct 10 2010, 04:06:04 PM
I really wanted to like this. I found myself trying to defend the poor book, score, and direction but by the second act I had to admit to myself that it was just a mess.

There is no way they can fix the show to become what I think many here (myself included) were hoping for. They would need to scrap everything and redo it from the ground up.

That being said, I can see them tweaking what they have here enough to make it an audience pleaser.

This is the show that

Subdividing Tony Noms?
 May 17 2010, 07:04:33 AM
I'm sure it's a coincidence. But then again the nominating committee was smoking crack at their meetings this year so anything is possible.
re: Question About Collecting Cast Albums
 Dec 21 2009, 02:24:16 PM
I can't get into foreign language recordings. I have a couple because it's the only recording of a show available but I never play them.

As for being a completist I guess I'm one to a certain extent, but if I really don't like a score I won't buy it just to have it.

For example, I won't be buying Fela (no reflection on the show, I just don't like the music).

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You