News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for JHartnow

JHartnow Profile Photo
Member Name: JHartnow
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: The Search for Elle THOUGHTS! Ep 6
 Jul 8 2008, 05:21:57 PM
Autumns audition last night was killer. She really hit the nail on the head with the "Legally Blonde Ballad". I loved Lauren, too. She brought her own singing style to the number, and that caught me off-guard...delightfully so! It's hard to believe that she's only 18.

It's a tough choice, but I'm rooting for Autumn.

re: Mamma Mia SOundtrack is OUT
 Jul 8 2008, 05:15:49 PM
I don't disagree that it's not heartfelt compared to the original cast recording and the times I've seen it live. That it is. It's just that I can't get past how off-key Meryl Streep is on some of those notes. If it's an acting decision, that's great and it probably works in the film when you can actually see her. If not, it's just bad singing. My opinion...which, like I said, is pretty loose until I actually see the film.
re: Mamma Mia SOundtrack is OUT
 Jul 8 2008, 04:41:22 PM
I bought the CD last Wednesday at WalMart and I gotta say...I'm not thrilled with it. I hate to be a negative nancy, but even though Meryl Streep CAN belt fairly well, her lower register is awfully unstable. If you don't cringe while listening to her "The Winner Takes It All", either something is wrong with your hearing or you truly believe she's "acting" to sound that bad (which could totally be the case...I haven't seen the movie yet). Baranski was quite a hoot, summoning some Liza-esque momen
re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
 May 16 2008, 11:35:25 AM
These are some of my favorite love songs that stir emotion. Some I think are brilliant and deep others more frilly...

Lily's Eyes - Secret Garden
How Could I Ever Know
Something Good - Sound of Music
In His Eyes - J&H
I Still Believe - Saigon
All The Wasted Time - Parade
Role Of A Lifetime - Bare
Not While I'm Around - Sweeney
Still Hurting - L5Y
Goodbye Until Tomorrow/I Could Never Rescue You
Seasons Of Love - RENT
I'll Cover You (and reprise

Flounder...Mermaid...Wax...
 Feb 12 2008, 04:47:07 PM
Does anyone know who's on as Flounder Saturday night?

In my heart of hearts, I really want this show to succeed.

What are they selling at their kiosks now? Has it gotten over-the-top yet? The last time I saw BEAST before it closed I couldn't get "MY SOUVENIR THINGS" out of my head.

Mucho appreciation...
John

re: The Bears are here!!!
 Feb 12 2008, 11:03:40 AM
Hey guys...it's John, the RENT and WICKED bear artist. I know there are some other BC/EFA volunteers, workers, artists, actors and costumers here at BWW...and I just have to say...CONGRATULATIONS! This is a wonderful cast we have this year. I hope they bring in a "bear-load" of money for such a wonderful charity!

If you are coming to the auction, please come say hello to me! You can't miss me...I'm usually the only 6'5" guy there...unless Christopher Sieber is around. Ha ha!

I'

re: Broadway Bears Auction 11
 Jan 28 2008, 04:39:44 PM
And if promoting my own bears for the charity isn't bad enough...I need a handsome date for the event. Any takers? My, I'm shameless.

-John

Jan 28 2008, 10:20:51 AM
RENT
Maureen Johnson

"Chips, anyone?!" Always knowing how to make an entrance, Maureen Johnson, bisexual performance artist, is meticulously recreated in her Act II ensemble. Maureen is a vision indeed in her shiny, black "patent pleather" cat-suit (ah, well, "you can take the girl out of Hicksville, but you can't take the Hicksville out of the girl"...). Under her jacket is a miniature duplicate of her custom silk-screened, diva-dragon tank top - and that dragon comes complete

Jan 28 2008, 10:19:07 AM
WICKED
Elphaba Thropp

"Okay, let's get this over with. No, I'm not seasick. Yes, I've always been green. No, I didn't eat grass as a child." With these words, we are introduced to a young and misunderstood school girl named Elphaba, who would later go on to be known as the Wicked Witch of the West. Who knew that when, "almost like a prophecy," she had her vision of being celebrated throughout the land of Oz, it would be for her tragic death? Even though she "...doesn't cause commotions, [she] is one", this headstrong and politically-conscious young witch knows the difference between right and wrong, even if her devious roommate, Galinda, is constantly trying to undermine her. Proudly presented in ursine scale is a faithful reproduction of the morally-centered Elphaba in her Shiz University uniform. Elphabear's Shiz-blue jumper is bias-pleated with a dropped, asymmetrical waist and hemline. The matching jacket (with two pockets and three gold buttons) is self-lined and trimmed in black, and her tiny beanie and sweater were hand-knit from the same indigo alpaca wool used to create the Broadway costume. She wears black stockings and a scaled-down duplicate of her famous, worn-leather, lace-up work boots. She wears a dark brown human-hair wig, styled to one side in her signature single-braid, and - scholarly as she is - sports a pair of black-rimmed glasses atop her forehead. She's even been lashed, shadowed and blushed with Idina Menzel's personal "Landscape Green" makeup, specially formulated for use in the show. Although she learns that "no good deed goes unpunished," Elphaba is a role model to everyone who truly knows her. She may be green, but this witch knows how to "defy gravity." Take her home and we're sure that your life will be "changed for good"!

ORIGINAL DESIGNER: SUSAN HILFERTY (Tony Award)

BROADWAY BEAR CREATED BY: JOHN HENSON

With special thanks to: Susan Hilferty, Cathy Small; the Wicked costume
office, Amanda Goforth and Daniel Moyer

Signed by: Idina Menzel

Broadway Bears XI is fast approaching...and I wanted to post a reminder! Some of the bears are up for viewing on the Broadway Cares site:

http://bcefa.org/events/bears.cfm

Come out and support the cause! There are several BWW members who work in the costuming arena who produce bears for the event...and this years selection is awesome...as always!

Hope to see some BWW'ers there!
-John

re: ENCHANTED - references to classic disney animated musicals
 Nov 26 2007, 03:04:18 PM
Fun thread. Forgive me if these have been repeated:

• During the soap opera scene, Angela tells Ogden something to the fact of, "How do you expect me to love you when you don't even love yourself!", an obvious play on Belle/Beast.

• The "magic mirror" reporters last name is "Caselotti", as in Adriani Caselotti, the original voice of Snow White.

• The "tumbling down the well" scene is very reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland.

• The statue that Giselle

re: Awful Musical Ideas
 Aug 8 2007, 10:27:12 AM
A Nightmare On Elm Street

JAWS

re: Why the spastic Glindas?
 Aug 8 2007, 10:25:57 AM
I agree, Princeton. For me, Kristin is the difinitive Glinda, not because she originated the role, but because of personal preference. Since I began working with the costumes last year, I've met a lot of people that have been around since the inception of the show. So much changes as the show matures. A decision was made to make a greater distinction in the maturity of Glinda's character. Needless to say, she now comes across as a 5 year old in bad need of some ritalin. Sure, I still get enjoyme
re: Need a FUN place in Theatre District to get together
 Jul 26 2007, 11:25:28 AM
I second the Playwright. Their Cobb salad is awesome. The chicken fingers are awesome. Full bar...quiet...great prices.
re: HAIRSPRAY Questions answered here! (inevitable Spoilers)
 Jul 25 2007, 12:27:02 PM
Realistically, I can see some of the score and extended songs being on the inspirational 60's album Marc mentioned pitching earlier...ala his "Down With Love" soundtrack/score. We need a multiple disc set...demos, inspiration, extended/cut songs. ;O )
re: HAIRSPRAY Questions answered here! (inevitable Spoilers)
 Jul 25 2007, 11:12:24 AM
Is it a possibility that we'll ever hear the score? I would also love to hear extended versions of "Baltimore" with the intro...as well as the other songs. The underscoring of "Cooties" during the dance off was brilliant, too. The ringing phones...just brilliant.

-John

re: Some Things I Noticed In Hairspray........
 Jul 23 2007, 12:25:11 PM
Seaweed --

I'll have to be on the lookout for those. I'm prone to seeing more continuity problems in films that I feel strongly about. As a costumer, it's usually centered around the costumes...but also the fact that there is more movement in a film musical...and continuity can be a b!tch.

I adored the costumes in this movie...and the only thing that irked me were the type of sequins they used on Tracy's YCSTB dress (which is actually a mod fashion...which is late 60's). They'r

re: Who didn't think Hairspray was *that* great?
 Jul 23 2007, 11:02:16 AM
Remember that, even though this new film incarnation is using (pretty much) the same plot and music from the Broadway production, it has been said from the begining that it was going to be different...more of a blend of the original film and the stage production. I believe John Waters said that in an early interview. Little changes...like the wardrobe, hair(Penny's, etc)...or even the song "LADIES CHOICE" stems from the original 1988 movie, when they hold a "Ladies Choice" dance during Tracy's f
re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
 Jul 23 2007, 10:47:07 AM
I agree that college should be her next move, if she so chooses. As far as her future in the public eye...I see no need to worry. She'll have roles written for her, she'll have scripts plopped into her lap and she'll be able to pick and choose according to the way she wants her career to head. She's got a very bright future...and I can't wait to see what she decides to do next. I hope that she stays as humble and spirited as she seems now. I'm 31...and she's become a role model for *ME*.
re: HAIRSPRAY - - - A Bonafide Crowd Pleaser
 Jul 20 2007, 09:31:20 AM
I've got this afternoon off, too. I mean, c'mon, it's HAIRSPRAY! Totally worth it. I'm seeing the first showing in Columbia, SC at 12:45 this afternoon and also again tonight at the prime movie hour. I'll report back on audience reactions...but I'm sure it's going to go over really well.
re: Question about 'It Sucks To Be Me'
 Jul 20 2007, 09:22:58 AM
It's track #2 on the Avenue Q Original Broadway Cast Recording...(What Do You Do With A BA in English/It Sucks To Be Me)but I'm not sure if it appeared on the soundtrack or not. ;O )

According to Amazon, it's Track #3. Hmmm.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You