News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Robbie2

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Member Name: Robbie2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 16 2024, 11:34:14 PM

Greg Nobile

Thank God Adam is here to tell us what art is “not-great” so we can make room for things he personally deems more artful! Like adaptions and stars in plays!

Adam Feldman

@FeldmanAdam

·

Apr 15

Counterpoint: Time, money and Broadway theaters are not in unlimited supply. It is not the responsibility of audiences—including critics—to like and support everything artists create. Every not-great work of art is taking space and resources from other, potentially better ones.

This will turn off the TONY nominating community!

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 16 2024, 10:42:30 PM

yyys said: "they forgot to put "Closing May 5th" at the bottom."

Once the Tony noms are announced on the 30th the reality will hit them and then the closing notice.

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 16 2024, 10:37:53 PM

GilmoreGirlO2 said: "This social post doesn’t feel clever to me at all, particularly because Brantley was describing an entirely different production that truly felt like a very, very different show than what is currently on Broadway. If they wanted to use this kind of marketing, at least take (real) quotes that are describing the same production.

To me, all this tells me is that they had a better show back in 2018 and made it worse (which, to me, is 100% true).

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 15 2024, 12:43:44 AM

EDSOSLO858 said: "DTLI Consensus:Though completely original and ambitious in topic and scale,Lempickanever quite lets us see Tamara’s brushstrokes.

4 mixed (including the NYT), 4 negative, 1 positive.

https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/lempicka/
"

The positive review is from NY Theatre Guide from a critic nobody knows!

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 14 2024, 11:58:28 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "Damn, that Post review is harsh."

Yes it is but so much spot on! 

• Espinosa is handed some colorless, belty ballads, like “Woman Is,” that she struggles vocally with. Given that Tamara’s story occurs over six tumultuous decades, the actress and character leave remarkably little impression. Lemicka is neither a force of nature, nor a relatable dreamer — she’s a talking paintbrush.
  • Espinos
LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 14 2024, 11:57:53 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "Damn, that Post review is harsh."

Yes it is but so much spot on! 

• Espinosa is handed some colorless, belty ballads, like “Woman Is,” that she struggles vocally with. Given that Tamara’s story occurs over six tumultuous decades, the actress and character leave remarkably little impression. Lemicka is neither a force of nature, nor a relatable dreamer — she’s a talking paintbrush.
  • Espinos
LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 14 2024, 11:07:55 PM

Lempicka’ is ambitious but clunky bio-musical about little-known artist

https://www.nydailynews.com/2024/04/14/broadway-review-lempicka-is-ambitious-but-clunky-bio-musical-about-little-known-artist/

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 14 2024, 10:55:27 PM

https://newyorktheater.me/2024/04/14/lempicka-broadway-review/

Mixed - Naturally gifted cast members give polished performances, most notably Eden Espinosa in the title role, and especially Amber Iman as Rafaela.  But the songs and scenes ultimately add up to an almost mechanical-feeling sameness, loud and overwhelming.

2024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread  Apr 14 2024, 04:43:35 PM

binau said: "Wow Tom Francis has also just won actor for Sunset! Sunset is sweeping tonight!"

Sunset wins 7 Olivier Awards!

LEMPICKA Previews  Apr 14 2024, 04:07:53 PM

Melissa25 said: "I personally don’t feel the love triangle to be half-assed whatsoever. Tamara married Tadeusz as a teenager and self sacrificed her body to get him out of prison. They had to flee Poland for Denmark and ultimately Paris. I don’t think the musical needs to give equal time to the Tamara-Tadeusz love to legitimize her love for Rafaela or her bisexuality. Tamara and Tadeusz eventually got divorced. Of course now I am remembering all the flack that Francesca got for cheating on Bud. Right, good girls don’t do things like fall in love with other people. Good grief.

Rafaela was white. See paintings.

The Beautiful Rafaela

The Dream (Rafaela on green background), July 1927 -I love now noticing her wearing possiblythe most beautiful bracelet.

"

My agent friend said Carmen Cusack orginally played Rafaela in Williamstown and was absolutely terrific, received rave reviews and he actually preferred her over Amber Iman's performance. I wonder why she didn't continue in the role and was replaced?

Anyone else see Cusack back then and compare?

Patti LuPone Will Return to Broadway in THE ROOMMATE Opposite Mia Farrow  Apr 14 2024, 01:43:50 PM

theatregeek25 said: "I saw the Steppenwolf production on 7/05/2018 with Sandra Marquez and Ora Jones. Solid little play, just one act. Interesting, but sort of slight for Broadway. Reminds me of another Chicago playA Steady Rain,which ended up on Broadway with two major stars, Jackman and Craig.

BTW, Marquez and Jones had actually been roommates in real life before being cast in the Steppenwolf production.

Is Patti playing Sharon or Robyn?

Patti LuPone Will Return to Broadway in THE ROOMMATE Opposite Mia Farrow  Apr 14 2024, 01:00:09 PM

TotallyEffed said: "Robbie2 said: "Interesting pairing but 2 grannies an 80 year old looking for a roomate that happens to be around 75? Heard the play is terrible and basically nothing there and a bore but with these 2.........indecisionwe shall see????”

No hate here or in this post just commenting! I've seen Patti in shows since Master Class and will see this. cheeky

I have an idea for all the people who hate Patti LuPone and older women: don’t go see this play! There, that was easy!

I, on the other hand, can’t wait to see these two legends together on stage.
"

2024 Tony Awards  Apr 14 2024, 12:53:11 PM

BdwyFan said: "Will there be 4 or 5 Best Musical Revival nominations? How does that work? Guessing it will be Cabaret, Merrily, Tommy, and The Wiz."

Take out the Wiz as it will either be Spamalot or possibly Gutenberg!

2024-2025 Broadway Season  Apr 13 2024, 10:23:19 PM

Schedule of Upcoming and Announced Broadway Shows

See what’s coming soon, what’s premiering out of town, and what’s in development.

https://playbill.com/article/schedule-of-upcoming-and-announced-broadway-shows

LEMPICKA Previews  Apr 13 2024, 02:49:19 PM

binau said: "So does Eden sound good live with “woman is”? I think she sounds great in the studio take."

Only good and the voice is powerful but she has pitch issues and was often flat not only singing this but throughout the whole show! We did not get to hear the same voice nor was I as mesmerized by her live performance of ''Woman Is'' as I was by the studio take. Tbh, I was happy it was intermission as I neede

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews  Apr 12 2024, 02:28:52 PM

Broadway Flash said: "The wonderful Stellene Volandes posted many pics of the birthday party at Cabaret on her Instagram account. So much for the sticker"

What a special treat for Joel and yes the wonderful Stellene being EiC  -  T&C sitting in her stage front dining seats shared some great shots! Thanks for sharing! Do you think they would put a sticker on her phone and they won't be putting a sticker on Anna Wintours phone when

Patti LuPone Will Return to Broadway in THE ROOMMATE Opposite Mia Farrow  Apr 11 2024, 11:18:05 PM

Interesting pairing but 2 grannies an 80 year old looking for a roomate that happens to be around 75? Heard the play is terrible and basically nothing there and a bore but with these 2......... indecisionwe shall see????

Favorite spots for Pre-Broadway Drinks/Dinner  Apr 11 2024, 11:10:12 PM

Usually Joe Allen ,  Bar Centrale , Glass House and La Grande Boucherie has a lively bar and great pre-theatre menu

How is Jinkx Monsoon as Audrey.  Apr 7 2024, 10:44:58 PM

Excited not really enough to see it again with him. I did hear though from friends .....just not good as Audrey.

Lea Michele's Next Broadway Project Post-Baby #2  Apr 7 2024, 10:38:10 PM

Pregnant Lea Michele Cradles Bump in First Appearance Since Announcing Baby No. 2

https://www.eonline.com/news/1398886/pregnant-lea-michele-cradles-bump-in-first-appearance-since-announcing-baby-no-2

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You