News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ahhrealmonsters

Member Name: ahhrealmonsters
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Who are the best non-composing lyricists working in theatre today?  Oct 30 2022, 08:59:10 AM

Can I be a complete tool and nominate myself? blush

Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”  Jul 29 2022, 10:22:25 PM

CATSNYrevival said: "I'm honestly surprised this didn't happen sooner, but what is the difference between this and the unofficial Stranger Things musical and all the other parody musicals that seem to play just fine without facing lawsuits? Why isn't Netflix also going after the Stranger Sings! musical parody?"

Bridgerton isn’t a parody. It’s a straight up adaptation. Per definition, parody is “a literary or artistic work that im

SOLD (mods please delete)  May 31 2022, 04:55:56 PM

The Official TDF Thread  Dec 30 2021, 05:56:19 PM

Jordan Levinson said: "A few uncommon / rare sightings on tonight's TDF listings:The Book of Mormon, Dear Evan Hansen, andHadestown"

Do you mean TKTS? None of those shows are on TDF.

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews  Dec 15 2021, 03:02:23 PM

This Sunday's 7 pm performance is on TDF. See you there!

The Public's THE VISITOR - Previews  Oct 20 2021, 11:40:35 AM

binau said: "KJisgroovy said: "I also guess that Brian Yorkey is having similar issues. My guess is that after the world has shifted forwards RE: attitudes towards race/representation/story telling about racial issues there are some individuals who don't think the material is right for off-broadway NYC in 2021 - causing (rightly or wrongly) chaos backstage."

Brian Yorkey is the man behind 13 Reasons Why, a tv show that glorified teen suicide. I don&

The Public's THE VISITOR - Previews  Oct 18 2021, 10:12:28 PM

Harriet Craig said: "Does anyone who has seen it know the running time? I’m seeing it on Thursday, and I’m wondering if the change in the matinee time means it’s running long."

2 hours, including a 15 minute intermission. Show started about 10 minutes late. It was the first preview (7 pm performance), so the start time may have been delayed more- I think it ended around 9:15.

The Public's THE VISITOR - Previews  Oct 16 2021, 10:25:22 PM
Another weird detail I noticed: Brian Yorkey does not have a bio in the Playbill. He is billed as lyricist and co-librettist, though there was a note in the Playbill written by Kwame Kwei-Armah, billed as book(writer), not co-bookwriter. I saw Tom Kitt in the audience, but there was no sign of Yorkey. I may be ready by way too much into this, but it feels like a pretty major oversight to be omitted from the bios. 🤷‍♀️
Shakespeare in the Park Returning This Summer!!!  Jul 11 2021, 12:51:05 AM

I just got home - the show started at 10 after 2 hours of consistent rain, and it ended around 11:50 (got out of the park after midnight). Very Shakespeare, very Delacorte. I loved it. I went in knowing nothing about Merry Wives (the original or this adaptation), and while I often find Shakespeare difficult to understand in this situation, I was able to follow the plot - it was very clear, hat tip to Jocelyn Bioh's adaptation and Saheem Ali's directing. Jacob Ming-Trent

Katori Hall wins 2021 Pulitzer Prize for Drama  Jun 11 2021, 01:21:58 PM

For The Hot Wing King. Congrats!

Happy Birthday to Judy Kuhn!  May 20 2021, 02:37:32 PM

unclevictor said: "morosco said: "The first time I heard her sing this I became enraptured with her sublime voice."

Wish her personality was as good as her singing.
"

Really? I worked with her once, albeit briefly, and she was lovely.

Musicals and Plays that mention specific countries  Apr 8 2021, 04:08:44 PM

I'd have to give it another listen, but I'd guess that Women on the Verge mentions Spain. Maybe in "Madrid" (sung by Danny Burstein)? It's been a while since I've revisited that show & score...

A Broadway Purim (featuring Jackie Hoffman & SIX)  Feb 26 2021, 11:09:37 AM

Wee Thomas2 said: "Really well done"

Thanks so much for your feedback! :)

A Broadway Purim (featuring Jackie Hoffman & SIX)  Feb 25 2021, 09:24:01 PM

Some shameless self-promotion for you.

Purim, which is a very fun, joyous Jewish holiday, is tonight, and it is traditional to perform a Purim Spiel, which is a comical, musical take on the Purim story. I wrote a little poem for you, which Jackie Hoffman narrates, followed by a parody of SIX The Musical, featuring Queens Vashti and Esther.

Thought you might enjoy.

WATCH HERE

Happy Purim!

Hedwig writers defend non-trans casting in cancelled production  Nov 24 2020, 05:40:29 PM

HogansHero said: "ahhrealmonsters said: "Did I see a different show? Maybe I'm interpreting incorrectly, but I never saw Hedwig (the character) as a "young fem gay boy"

I'd say you were so takenwith the amazing music that you didn't pay attention. Listen to Sugar Daddy.
"

The amazing music and the magical energy in the theatre. Thanks for being kind about it and not calling me out - I genuinely appreciate it. :) I'll

Hedwig writers defend non-trans casting in cancelled production  Nov 24 2020, 04:21:39 PM

I saw the Broadway revival twice (once with Michael C. Hall and once with Taye Diggs), and after reading Mitchell & Trask's description of Hedwig, I'm very confused. Did I see a different show? Maybe I'm interpreting incorrectly, but I never saw Hedwig (the character) as a "young fem gay boy" - am I meant to imply that Hedwig is cisgender? Am I reading this all incorrectly? I always thought about gender diversity in both Hedwig & Yitzhak, and I've always had

I regret not seeing...  Oct 27 2020, 10:53:04 AM

Jenn Colella's one performance as the lead in If/Then. I didn't have work that day, and I was in Union Square for an advanced screening of the Into the Woods movie. I regret few things in life, but one theatre regret is not bailing on ITW and running to the Richard Rodgers to see that matinee.

Doreen Montalvo Mann Has a Stroke  Oct 17 2020, 04:41:14 PM

I am very sad to share that Doreen passed away. I've been reading many memories shared on Facebook from several mutual friends.

Favorite young/contemporary Composers?  Oct 16 2020, 06:58:02 PM

^ @Blank Name - did you just list an entire GMTWP cycle?

Oklahoma! and "I'm Thinking of Ending Things"  Sep 6 2020, 10:43:17 PM

Well, I went in blind, foolishly assuming it would be a romantic drama, a la A Marriage Story. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. That was quite a mindf*ck. I've read a bunch of articles about it, and now I have a better grasp on what I just spend 2 hours watching. As I'm not as familiar with the other book/movie/etc. references, I really latched onto the Oklahoma! parts. I'm curious as to how people who are not familiar with the musical interpret it. Probably the

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You